A Temporary Lobby Solution

26 replies to this topic

#1 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

DISCLAIMER: MWO Lobby is not affiliated with mwomercs.com in any way. You do not need to use your MWO login to access the site and I advise against doing so to begin with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there are many players out there that want a lobby system similar to the one that the older mech titles enjoyed. If you fall into this category you might be interested in a partial solution that I have been working on for the past two months in my free time.

http://www.mwolobby.com

This lobby is a recreation of the ms gaming zone built with modern software. It is entirely web based unlike its predecessor and has all of the features that you would expect… with one exception - game drops. I can hear your sighs, I know, I’m sighing too. If I could make it happen I would but alas it’s not within my power. However, a lobby like this still has its uses for facilitating communication, organizing clans/corps, recruiting, and a way to interact with other pilots outside of the game.

I’m aware that PGI plans on developing a lobby solution later down the road but that could be months out. This lobby would be a temporary solution until they are able to build a lobby directly into the game.

The creation and success of this lobby is up to you. I have built it but I am no marketer and if you could not tell by my post count I generally prefer to keep to myself. If you want to support this project and build a community like the past you will need to spread the word to your friends, clan/corp mates, and the people you meet in game.

A big thanks to Cymbaline for helping me test and iron out most of the bugs with the lobby. I could not have done it without you.

The rest is up to you guys. Use it, don’t use it, either way I have done all I can do to create a working lobby system. I leave you with a screenshot for those who are interested.

http://i50.tinypic.com/29ql9uu.jpg

Edited by Tenbatsu, 22 February 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#2 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

after registering i cannot log in. I get the invalid pw and name error

#3 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

The login is email based, not username based, that's most likely the problem.

I tried to keep to the same style as the mwomercs website.

Edited by Tenbatsu, 12 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#4 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

No I can back him up on this. I registered as well, and cannot login.

-k

#5 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

This sounds like a great service!
Ya, i registered twice, email and PW are being entered correctly i'm sure. still not recognized? jdillbeck@gmail.com

#6 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hmm, did you check your e-mail for the activation e-mail?

I have to do that to keep bots from signing up.

I just tried to make a new account and login, everything worked out.

If you have all clicked the activation link in the e-mail then i will look into this further.

Edited by Tenbatsu, 12 February 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#7 MechBunny

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Works for me. Am logged in. B)

#8 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

didn't get one, net even in the spam folder.

#9 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

hmm which username did you sign up with mech wrench, I will just activate your account from the backend.

I thought the mail server was configured correctly to keep most systems from rejecting it. I might have fouled up somewhere. Mail servers are not my thing.

#10 Gothbloodman

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I don't know if it works or not (at work) but very innovative of you. Thanks!

#11 MourningZero

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Looks very nice. I'll keep it open while playing and see how it goes.

#12 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostTenbatsu, on 12 February 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

hmm which username did you sign up with mech wrench, I will just activate your account from the backend.

I thought the mail server was configured correctly to keep most systems from rejecting it. I might have fouled up somewhere. Mail servers are not my thing.

Mech_Wrench
jdillbeck@gmail.com

#13 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

This topic was moved to the Community portal sub forum, where it is more appropriate.

#14 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Mech Wrench somehow your registration never made it to the backend, try it again.

#15 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Chrome seemed to be my issue. IE aloud me to register fine.

#16 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks to all the people who joined up today.

If this post had lasted more than five minutes in the general lobby I believe there would be a lot more players using it right now. Unfortunately it was not meant to be but I will continue to try and spread the word using other methods.

Edited by Tenbatsu, 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#17 Blackfire87

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you are looking to get more involved in the competitive side of MWO and create a really good tool you should Contact TheMagician at RHOD to see if you can integrate their tournament into your lobby. They are looking for ways to make RHOD more accessible. If you could find a way to add tournament brackets, schedules and rosters you could create a competitive hub for MWO. You could also try contacting House Marik and Kaos Legion, Both of them and setting up tournaments. I'm sure if you reach out to these guys you could find help. If I had programming skills I would help but sadly I do not. I see potential here hopefully you can get it up and running!

#18 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the tips Blackfire87. I'm definitely interested in getting a competitive framework going for MWO.

I will contact them and see if we can work on something together.

The lobby itself has all of the basic functionalities working. The chrome registration issue has been fixed. My apologies for not testing all browsers with registration.

#19 coRpSE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationBack of your Mind!!!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

So, what exactly is this, can you layout the details of exactly what it is.

No offense, I never put in passwords for things through a third party system, for there is no way, unless if we dissect the site, to see if you have a logging system that logs all users account info to give you access to their accounts, as in a phishing site. This is basic common sense. If PGI sanctioned it would be one thing, but till that, you have to understand my concern. Especially not knowing what it is in the first place from the lack of detailing to what it does.

Edited by coRpSE, 20 February 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#20 Tenbatsu

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

The quick answer. MWO Lobby was a failed attempt to recreate the past.

The long answer:

MWO Lobby is a lobby system much like the old Microsoft Gaming Zone. There is a global chat lobby, you can create a room with its own private chat, you have a fully functional friends list and can send PMs in real time. You can 'launch' your room the like the zone days but instead of dropping into a game with the people in your room you are just placed into a "playing" state. In order for the lobby to work the way I want it to I would have to work with the developers - something I do not foresee happening. There are lots of other minor features but those are the major ones.

MWO Lobby is not a phishing site. All of the passwords are encrypted with one way hashing algorithms that are basically unbreakable. MWO Lobby is also not affiliated or linked to mwomercs.com in any way. You do not have to use your MWO login and I would advise against using the same login to be honest.

I made mwolobby in a futile attempt to recreate the community of the Mech3 and Mech4 days. A place where people could come to organize their league play, tournaments, clans, and get to really know the other players outside of a forum environment. Also I made it for those who felt more comfortable in a this type of lobby environment than a TS server. These people were my target audience, however, reaching them is impossible with this thread relegated to the Community Portal section.

If you're interested and do not trust my ability to secure your privacy just use a fake e-mail account and a one time password. If you remember the ms gaming zone you should at least feel a bit of nostalgia from it if not it will probably not impress much.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Edited by Tenbatsu, 21 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users