How Can A Cryengine Game Be So Ugly?

228 replies to this topic

#1 EvilSpaceOrc

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Thread title pretty much says it all, I'm getting really annoyed by how irritating some of the graphical shortcomings are.

I don't believe that its only me who gets so distracted by all the issues with the parallax materials for example, if you look at those surfaces at any angle higher than lets say 30 it appears too heavily distorted (and in CryEngine SDK there is a single slider to adjust that...). It looks really silly when you are moving over the terrain and you can see the rocks kind of morphing as you pass by. If there is any material blend, you will see depth of the rock material change, while for example snow on top of them will seems to be floating above, completely breaking the immersion.

There is no environmental destruction.

There are no ballistics.

Rockets seem to fly through rocks and buildings if the collision should happen soon after launching, so collisions are not awesome either.

And the game barely ran on my older rig with GTX460, so where is all this processing power going? Crysis looked much better in '07 and the maps seemed to be larger and you could collapse almost every structure and chop down trees.

I know it is still a beta, but without anyone complaining about it nothing will be done.

#2 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

I'm having a problem with "greyed out" textures on certain maps. But from what I understand the devs are well aware of this and working on it.

#3 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

Looks fine to me, I don't pay attention to the gravel on the ground though, I'm too busy looking for the other team. I'm glad it's not as colorful as the first crysis , I don't want to be playing a fantasy cartoony mechwarrior game.

Edited by lsp, 20 February 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#4 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

View Postlsp, on 20 February 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Looks fine to me, I don't pay attention to the gravel on the ground though, I'm too busy looking for the other team. I'm glad it's not as colorful as the first crysis , I don't want to be playing a fantasy cartoony mechwarrior game.

RL is pretty bright and colorful dude, and I am of the belief that fantasy sci-fi should be MORE extreme, not more bland.

IMO Far Cry 3 is about an appropriate amount of color and realism balanced.

#5 EvilSpaceOrc

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I did not refer to the art style of Crysis games, all I meant was that the '07 game was far more technically impressive and consistent than '13 game based on the same engine and - looks like - higher hardware requirements.

#6 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostEvilSpaceOrc, on 20 February 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

I did not refer to the art style of Crysis games, all I meant was that the '07 game was far more technically impressive and consistent than '13 game based on the same engine and - looks like - higher hardware requirements.

We're still on DX9. Expect huge graphics improvements when we aren't using a DirectX from '07.

Edited by Captain Midnight, 20 February 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#7 Sifright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 February 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

We're still on DX9. Expect huge graphics improvements when we aren't using a DirectX from '07.

man thats a crappy excuse for the graphics being washed out and filtered into an ugly mess.

#8 Mykaelous Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

EvilSpaceOrc I expected a dimwitted response but what you have said is indeed true and should be within the capabilities of a team this size.

#9 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

View Postlsp, on 20 February 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

I don't want to be playing a fantasy cartoony mechwarrior game.

right, I want my fantasy giant mechanical man looking pew pew thing to be as real as possible! ;)

I would settle for them just bumping to dx 10 even

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Crysis ran on CryEngine 2, so no, this is not the same engine.

As far as the graphical shortcommings are concerned, it is mostly tied up to these three facts facts:

1st: This is a downloaded F2P game and as such, every additional detail costs you GBs of space.

2nd: The more eye-candy you add, the more disadvantaged the hi-end user becomes. Crysis 1 was primarily SP, so it didn't matter to them (good MP only came with the expansion). It is heavily apparent in some ways the game looks worse then in CB, because some details can't be simply turned off on a low-end machine and they decided to simply cut it.

3rd: CryEngine 3 is a consolified engine, compared to the CryEngine 2, which is created just for the tech. advancement.

#11 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

It's ok guys DX11 is coming last September. Be patient. It's a beta.

#12 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

This is in DX9. It's using old tech, and most of the levels were made in the olden days. The mechs themselves are really good, and show just what they can do.

#13 Cybercobra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

im sorry but who actualy gives a DAMN about graphics? this game could be running in frikking DOSbox and i would care becouse i play games to have FUN, not to have my eyes sprinkeled with pretty pictures. ill go to a art gallery or a movie if i want that.

#14 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 February 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

3rd: CryEngine 3 is a consolified engine, compared to the CryEngine 2, which is created just for the tech. advancement.

You have that entirely backwards. Cryengine 2 was heavily neutered to cater for current gen consoles.

http://www.pcgamer.c...-melt-down-pcs/

#15 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostCybercobra, on 20 February 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

im sorry but who actualy gives a DAMN about graphics? this game could be running in frikking DOSbox and i would care becouse i play games to have FUN, not to have my eyes sprinkeled with pretty pictures. ill go to a art gallery or a movie if i want that.

I do.
I don't want my 2012 game to look like it was made on the xbox 360 in 2007.

#16 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 February 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

I do.
I don't want my 2012 game to look like it was made on the xbox 360 in 2007.

I agree with this, 7 year old tech has really caused a backwards step in graphics these days.

One of many reasons why i hate consoles.

Edited by DCM Zeus, 20 February 2013 - 03:54 AM.

#17 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 20 February 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

I agree with this, 7 year old tech has really caused a backwards step in graphics these days.

One of many reasons why i hate consoles.

I have a lot of hope for this game, though. When it first became playable, it looked a lot worse. They've gradually sharpened much of it over the months.

#18 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostSignal27, on 20 February 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

I'm having a problem with "greyed out" textures on certain maps. But from what I understand the devs are well aware of this and working on it.

try clearing your shader cache in the game folders (something like USER\SHADER\DX9

#19 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

dunno, the game world looks realistic enough the mechs in general look fantastic. and yea this game is still in beta status, so skip the minor details and enjoy the game. peace out!

#20 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 20 February 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

try clearing your shader cache in the game folders (something like USER\SHADER\DX9

Thanks! I found it:

C:\Games\Pirahna Games\MechWarrior Online\USER\Shaders\Cache\D3D9

And now there are two folders in D3D9 labelled "CGPshaders" and "CGVshaders" (and a "lookup.bin" file). What, exactly, do I want to delete?

Edited by Signal27, 20 February 2013 - 04:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users