If You Can't Beat Ecm, Join Ecm.

76 replies to this topic

#61 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostDoc Holliday, on 22 February 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

I tried that, and immediately felt dirty at how easy it was to deal lots of damage and get kills with cheese ECM builds. (Both my commando and cicada notched 600+ dmg and multiple kills first time out.) I didn't like any part of it, either on the delivering or receiving end. In the end, this is ultimately what caused me to quit until they fix ECM and SSRMs.

I thought the exact same thing, but only tried the commando. Felt wrong, so I sold it!

#62 Duckwalk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Light vs Light the best counter to a Raven 3L is still... another Raven 3L. Sorry there just isnt anything more to it than that. The highest DPS weapon in a light fight is still currently streak srms. Thats not to say there arnt weapons with higher potential damage, it just means that streaks are the most reliable and easiest to use.

The only other option would be double srm4 or 6s depending on the light mech you are piloting. However, due to low armor values running anything but streaks in a light is extremely risky simply due to the average length of light fight battles. Miss just a couple of shots with nonstreak missiles and you find yourself deep in a damage hole thats very hard to climb out of due to the constant nature of streak damage.

If you expand your potential light fighting mechs outside of just lights you end up with some VERY effective alternatives.

Centurion, Hunchbacks, and Trebuchets can all carry a significant amount more of armor than lights while (some) can approach speeds of your fastest lights.

In my opinion, the two optimal non light mechs for hunting lights would be Centurion D (with A as another viable option) and Trebuchet 7M.

The reasoning behind these 2 mechs is that they can both approach lights speeds,have the required agility to keep up with lights and most importantly can mount at least 2 srm6s plus medium lasers. The extra armor allows them to absorb a substantial amount of ssrm fire while countering with double srm6.

The Cent D can easily reach speeds of 136+ with almost max armor, 2 srm6s, 2 medium lasers and very high heat efficiency.

The Treb 7M Is slower at 115 but has jump jets, max armor, 2srm6, 3 medium lasers nd very high heat efficieny.

These are the mechs I have the most success killing lights with but the concept is simple, all you need is a decent amount of armor, decent speed and multiple srms. This allows you to shrug off lights low dps and eventually return a crushing blow.

Regarding PPCs, they are great for sniping and doing non ballistic damage from long range however, i would highly advise against relying on them to facilitate streak use. Assuming you hit with them every time (and thats a BIG if) the subsequent dps your enabling is nothing more than what lights already experience in fights with other lights. Its not an overwhelming amount of damage that will decide the fight inside of the ECM disabling period.

In short bring PPCs if you want to snipe, not to hunt lights. For hunting lights outside of a 3L, bring a well armored mobile brawler with enough alpha to punish them when they get close and the agility to keep them in your sights.

#63 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostLubalin, on 22 February 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

And, did it work out for you?

#64 Duckwalk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

The only light that has a real chance against a Raven3L is a Jenner D with double SRM4s and lasers.

Commando is just way to lightly armored. Ravens 2ssrm2s can essentially kill a Commando with 3ssrm2s before even accounting for lasers.

Spider is worthless.

Jenner D is really the only hope. Higher potential damage with double srm4s plus 4 small lasers (or possibly mediums, i havnt played with it in forever).

The risk os that too many missed with non streak weapons puts you in a hole you cant climb out of and you dont have the luxury of the extra armor and potential damage of a medium. So you dont have the large buffer they do for misses and cant make up ground as easily with successful hits.

#65 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostVelba, on 22 February 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

So just because this is a video game, tactics become void?
Not all tactics - but a lot of them, yes. Because this game comes with a few things that do not apply to the real world:
a: BattleTech is a game about giant mecha whose tech and usage within the setting defies a lot of contemporary military concepts
b: pilots may lack the ability to properly coordinate (try typing in chat whilst being shot at by a 3L, I dare ya)
c: people ultimately want to have fun, which creates two distinct sub-issues:
c1: unnecessary frustration should be avoided, especially "no win scenarios"
c2: pilots may attempt tactics that are successful for a game, but would not be used in RL (like ramming)

Ultimately, there is no special tactic that can reliably counter 3Ls, simply because the game is too fast and happens on too small a scale to allow company-scale adaption to circumstances that change every 5 seconds. It might be a bit better when you're with an 8 man team on voicecomm, with an establiched chain of command and focus fire, but standard games require a lot of improvisation and on-the-spot thinking, which ultimately make people act more independent.

I've brought up the military not to "gain superior position" in an argument, but to quickly establish how I operate and think. It is easier to just say, "I've done stuff in the military" then to break down the concepts of sectors of fire, avenues of approach, danger areas, reactions to contact (or SOP's), Superiority of fire, and terrain, Types of ambushes, types of flanking maneuvers, fire and movement, among other things.
Yet you still think other people here may not do the same? I'm sorry, now it just sounds as if you assume those around here who criticize how this aspect of the game currently works are doing something wrong because they are of a different opinion than you - like a more sophisticated "L2P", really.
And all that whilst you yourself have admitted that you switched 'Mechs because you felt the Jenner can't handle a 3L in 1-on1. So why should anyone still drive them? There's no advantage, strictly from a game-mechanical point of view.

I still do so simply because I love the 'Mech, but do you really believe people should be penalized that harshly for such attraction? Do you really believe that the Raven 3L, by its background a Scout - should be a superior combatant to a dedicated Skirmisher like the Jenner? Just because of a combination of two systems, ECM and Streaks, which in MWO both do not work like they do in the Tabletop? Is ECM really supposed to be an Offensive Upgrade that turns 'Mechs into perfect Light-killers, rather than a cloaking device useful for scout and support roles?
At least with the 3L, this piece of equipment obviously isn't used like it should (Information Warfare).

Following your example, all Light pilots should just stop playing anything but the 3L. Is that really the type of game we want MWO to be?

What happens when there are 3 or 4 or 6 3L's? Like I said before, it's tough luck, grit your teeth, and hope they get the matchmaker working, because when they do, you shouldn't see things like that.
So, rather than balancing the equipment, you'd prefer to wait for the matchmaker to segregate the community into "matches with balanced loadouts" at the bottom and 3Ls at the top?

(simplified, of course - I'd expect the middle ground to have some bad 3L-pilots as well, just like the top tier should have a couple exceptional pilots in non-ECM-Lights ... but you get the idea)

You've also asserted that your teammates wont be able to hit the mech very much if at all. Well if that is the case, even if they enemy had NO ECM your still going to lose that fight.
Yet he also would not dish out as much damage, in turn dragging out the battle, and with it the chance to be shot down by one of the bigger 'Mechs.
Not to mention that weight class matchmaking would mean there's another Light around somewhere, which could take him on. I had no problem whatsoever with 3Ls before ECM monopolized Streaks. :P

View PostDuckwalk, on 22 February 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

The risk os that too many missed with non streak weapons puts you in a hole you cant climb out of and you dont have the luxury of the extra armor and potential damage of a medium. So you dont have the large buffer they do for misses and cant make up ground as easily with successful hits.
Speaking of misses - has the server been acting strange for someone else this evening? I swear it kept "nudging" me a few degrees to the left/right every couple seconds. Needless to say, my SRM4 accuracy was affected considerably.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 23 February 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#66 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

if you're not driving role specific, like suppression(autocannon cata, ppc), barrage(lots of missiles long or short), or direct fire support(2 ac20, 2 gauss, or anything snipey), you must be piloting something with ecm.

in most cases for those roles you should be piloting something with ecm anyway unless its highly specialized and effective enough to justify not driving an ecm mech

and when piloting these roles, you must be able to say with confidence "this is absolutely the best at its specialized role with no exception" or else you're just looking for excuses when you lose

Edited by Battlecruiser, 23 February 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#67 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 23 February 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

if you're not driving role specific, like suppression(autocannon cata, ppc), barrage(lots of missiles long or short), or direct fire support(2 ac20, 2 gauss, or anything snipey), you must be piloting something with ecm.

in most cases for those roles you should be piloting something with ecm anyway unless its highly specialized and effective enough to justify not driving an ecm mech

and when piloting these roles, you must be able to say with confidence "this is absolutely the best at its specialized role with no exception" or else you're just looking for excuses when you lose

While I generally agree with Admiral Fishers creation, I will add some additional points to this:

- Do have a plan on how to deal with ECM. Do not LRM-Boat without TAG.
- Do have a plan on how to deal with lights. They will come close to you, sooner or later. At least be able to damage them a bit.
- Do not wander off alone if you are in a specialized build. You will get caught out of position and die.
- Watch your flanks. If your team gets flanked, your chances of winning crash rapidly.
- Watch your team. If it moves, move with it.
- If your team commits, commit with them. Even if you think it is stupid. If you dont, they are even more outgunned. You will lose.

#68 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Underneath the smack talk this is a very good thread.

Velba hit it right when he said if you know you are in a losing situation you need to retreat to your team.

If you try to Rambo a bad situation you will lose, because you are playing to their strengths not to yours.

Also and this is a biggie, the match maker needs some time to sort itself out.

Edited by Jabilo, 23 February 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#69 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

also, you want to get in a 4 person squad and get on voice coms. good communication defeats ecm in all but locking the enemy. and that itself is defeated by a scout that spots with tag, instead of brawling

#70 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I just feel that SSRMs are too pivotal in killing lights, whether you're a light or a heavy. ECM exasperates this.

#71 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

yup. good post.

#72 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 23 February 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I still do so simply because I love the 'Mech, but do you really believe people should be penalized that harshly for such attraction? Do you really believe that the Raven 3L, by its background a Scout - should be a superior combatant to a dedicated Skirmisher like the Jenner? Just because of a combination of two systems, ECM and Streaks, which in MWO both do not work like they do in the Tabletop? Is ECM really supposed to be an Offensive Upgrade that turns 'Mechs into perfect Light-killers, rather than a cloaking device useful for scout and support roles?
At least with the 3L, this piece of equipment obviously isn't used like it should (Information Warfare).

Did you ever consider the fact that you just might not be good with the Jenner? As I said before instead of staring at the wall, go over it, meaning get better with the thing and you'll see results. A Jenner can take on a Raven, it has the speed, jumpjets, and armor to do it.

Streaks do have one flaw, they have to lock to fire. As in they HAVE to be locked to deal any damage. On maps like Frozen City or River City, you can easily dodge out from behind a building, fire a blast of lasers or two and jump back in before they complete the lock. That requires the skirmishing mindset and not a dueling one. Harassing a Raven will eventually kill it or chase it off.

Of course maps like Alpine and Caustic Valley will be a little different, you'll pretty much have to stick with your team and focus fire any Raven (or any mech for that matter) that crests a hill. Best to let those with Large Lasers and PPCs to snipe them out. But then again, the Raven isn't going to skirmish either on those maps and will be using its ECM for defensive purposes.

#73 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

The Jenner D is definitely the best 3L killer when it comes to lights, though a Commando 2D can slaughter one "if" he gets the jump on it. Key with the Jenner is to stand up to the raven. Like someone else said, the 3L is a bully, if you freakout itll crush you, if you stand up to it you can cripple one. The trick is to go for the side torso, you'll take out the SSRMS and probably kill him since XL is the raven engine of choice.

#74 Lubalin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

The 2x srm4 + 4x ml Jenner D has been working better. However, the skill threshold is still pretty high. I have to avoid LRMs and the ravenn's ssrms, and all he has to worry about is me. Still, more viable than the ppc/ssrms.

#75 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

When fighting any fast light your response depends on what you're in:

Well armed Light:
Stand up and fight, toe to toe. Circle, go for the torso or the high leg (fatter and easier to hit). SSRMs always hit but it's low damage, just consistent. Do more damage faster and you'll pop it before it pops you.

Poorly armed Light:
Run or die.

Medium and up near teammates:

STAND EFFING STILL. QUIT WALKING. This gives your teammates an easier time lining the little ******* up for the shot. Just pivot. Don't chase, don't run.

Medium and up away from teammates:

Back up to a building/ridge/structure or into an alley of sorts. This breaks up their ability to circle you. Aim high on the leg near the hip. The leg is wider and moving less and thus easier to hit.

#76 Velba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

@Kyone Akashi I'm just going to stop discussing with you. Your last post was full of non sense and personal attacks. It's time for me to make my leave of this thread.

#77 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostVelba, on 22 February 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

It's not about making all mechs equal, it's about knowing how to use your mechs that you do have to the greatest effect.

This should be plastered all over the forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users