Lumping "Scandinavia" in to one single folder?

58 replies to this topic

#1 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

I'd call this a funny mix up! But I guess Norwegian, Swedish and Danish looks the same for everyone, and then there's FInland who isn't even a part of Scandinavia but is always bunched up together with the three other countries! ;)

#2 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Since i dont know if you speak swedish ill take it in english.

I guess that Finland is bunched up with the Scandinavian countries because people dont know the difference between Scandinavia and the Nordic countries.

Regarding the bunching together of the Scandinavian countries its not such a big deal as at least our written language is fairly similar so we all understand eachother (i can read danish just fine for example but i dont understand a word when they speak it).

#3 Ivory

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

Considering that our respective countries, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland is about the same size or smaller than the average US state I really cant blame the yanks for mixing us up. Hey I dont even know the names of half the states in the US ;-)

#4 Kardos

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I bet alot of people here in the states can't name all 50 states mate!

#5 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Actually, originally this was the "Danish forums" but the Developer's were asked to change it to the "Scandinavian Forum". (I remember sending a PM to Garth Erlam in support of this idea.)

Which I think is quite fine, it is something done in most games as our languages(Swedish, Danish and Norwegian) are similar enough and we lack the large number of native speakers to require a specific forum for each language. (Compare for instance how active the German or Russian sub-forums in most games are to any or all of the Scandinavian ones). Unfortunately the Finns are often the losers of this "cost-efficient" approach as they usually are lumped in with the Scandinavian nations without much thought.

In summary, it is not a question of ignorance but of numbers. ;)

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 14 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#6 Gendou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Posted Image

#7 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

For a second I was worried someone was going to start talking trash about the FRR lol

Also, Greenland looks constipated.

#8 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Just want to remind "y'all" that this is a Canadian forum for a Canadian game.

#9 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

I do not recall the developers stating that this was a game solely intended for the Canadian market... :(

#10 Aegilwulf

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

The reason Finland is often lumped together with Sweden, Norway and Denmark when referring to "Scandinavia" is because it has a long history in common with Sweden. My guess is that the community in Finland, Iceland and the other islands alone aren't large enough to warrant their own sub-forum, so why not let them hang out here? When I talk about Scandinavia I usually include Finland and the islands as well. It's only in language and culture that "Scandinavia" refers to Sweden, Norway and Denmark alone. But we're all just humans, and neighbours. So what's the fuzz?

#11 Gibgun

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:12 AM

So, is "Skandinavisk Forum" correct in Danish or Norwegian? because as a Swede I find myself missing a t there.

#12 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

It was a Dane that wrote it so i assume its Danish.

#13 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

i thought people from norawy and sweden loved each other :)

#14 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

The best solution would be to rename it again to "Nordic" :P8

#15 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostBraedin, on 16 June 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

i thought people from norawy and sweden loved each other :D

We do, in a way.. we love to tease eachother when we beat the other nation in different sports. Much like the relationship between Finland and Sweden i would say.

#16 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

We Norwegians don't really have any problem with Swedes. Not really. Well, except for the fact that they created IKEA which has been scientifically proven to be a blue and yellow furniture-selling hell on earth. For this they can never be forgiven. Other than that we like 'em well enough. After all, if there were no Swedes then who would work as waiters in every Norwegian restaurant? :)

#17 Isingdeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 22 June 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

We Norwegians don't really have any problem with Swedes. Not really. Well, except for the fact that they created IKEA which has been scientifically proven to be a blue and yellow furniture-selling hell on earth. For this they can never be forgiven. Other than that we like 'em well enough. After all, if there were no Swedes then who would work as waiters in every Norwegian restaurant? :)

Ouch I am from the Southern United States and that zinger even made me wince in good nature for the Swedes.

#18 Kekkeri

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

Im from Finland and i dont mind being "lumped up" with swedes, norwegians or danes. The Finnish fanbase woudnt be that strong so why not combine them with our neighbours, atleast in that way the "Nordic" forums will have some kind of life B) Although swedes and finns have a special relation in sports due to the media, i atleast am not that familiar with norwegians and danes, so this is a good opportunity to start to get to know some B)

#19 Oselotti

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

We don't smile ;) Of course we smile if someone get's in accident :)

Edited by Oselotti, 25 June 2012 - 04:05 AM.

#20 Hipshot

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Even though I imagine the playerbase from the nordic countries will be pretty large I don't think we actually need our own subforum, after all most of us get by with our school english. Other countries might still benefit from language specific subforums...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users