- - - - -

Help With Mech Modification

9 replies to this topic

#1 kirstar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Have a locust. switched to double heat sinks and of course due to the engine size I need to place 2 heatsinks. Issue is I cant find out how. Where are they ? I can spend tonnage but where do I find the free heatsinks to place ?

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

The middle Icon. Guns, ammo, Equip, Armor, Upgrades.

Click it while you have the Arms or L/R Torso selected. They are too big for CT, Legs, or Head.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, they're the top item under the middle button on the gear list. The icon for it looks literally like a heat sink (Flat surface with fins protruding from the top)

#4 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Once you are in the Equip section, click and drag the double heat sink to where it lists what is in your Torso or arm. Make sure that there are slots that are green in there and that at least one slot that raises so that it registers that you want to dump something on there.

Finally figured it out, only for me it was engines.

#5 kirstar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

Got that, but I had to spend 4 tones to place 4 engine heatsinks.
160 rating standard engine is 6 0 space heatsinks.
So 4 free heatsinks should nto cost me 4 tons. Unless the game designers are idiots

#6 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

mind posting it in a smurfy?
example or that

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 17 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#7 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

View Postkirstar, on 17 October 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Got that, but I had to spend 4 tones to place 4 engine heatsinks.
160 rating standard engine is 6 0 space heatsinks.
So 4 free heatsinks should nto cost me 4 tons. Unless the game designers are idiots

The engine weights have all been modified from tabletop such that anything that doesn't have ten internal heatsinks weighs the correct amount by subtracting a ton for each missing heatsink. Therefore, adding in four external heatsinks brings the engine back up to its proper weight and leaves you where you should be.

#8 Herbstwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 104 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

PGI made some changes to the classical mech construction rules. Each mech normaly has 10 heatsinks and the engine should have (engine rating / 25) of those 10 heatsinks as an integral part of the engine (no crits required) and any heatsinks in excess of that number use up critical slots but no additional tons. Only if you add heatsinks to those 10 basic heatsinks they need additional tons. Thats classic Battletech. MWO does this different.

In addition PGI changed the weight values for the engines so that they include the tonnage for the gyro, but not according to the basic TT values. For example : 100 standart engine weighs 3 tons in Battletech (that is without the gyro) but only 1 ton in MWO (including the gyro).

There are other changes as well (e.g. no tonnage required for the cockpit, which weighs 3 tons in Battletech) but in the end you just have to roll with it and start using Smurfy's excellent mech designing tool :
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Edited by Herbstwind, 17 October 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#9 kirstar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

AH

Oh well. Thanks for the help people :unsure:

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

For every "25" points of engine rating, another heatsink comes with the engine.

100 comes with 4 heatsinks, needs 6 added.
125 comes with 5, needs 5.
150 comes with 6, needs 4.
175 comes with 7, needs 3.
200 comes with 8, needs 2.
225 comes with 9, needs 1
250 comes with 10, needs 0.
275 comes with 10 + free space for 1 more.
300 comes with 10, + free space for 2 more.

Etc.

Supposedly they were considering adding more variety to engine weights by changing the weights of lighter engines to not be identical. No specifics, but given the number of "4 ton engines" we have, I believe we'll see increments of 0.25 tons? It'd work well with the armor stuff. They can't do increments of 0.5. We'd get negative weight engines by the time we get the Urban mech's 60-rated engine.

Edited by Koniving, 17 October 2013 - 06:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users