18 replies to this topic

#1 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

I just dropped coin on a few new internals and took the plunge on a liquid cooling solution for the new CPU. Anybody have one of these that can realistically tell me how hard it is to mount? I have a Rosewill Challenger case (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147153) with a 140mm fan on the top. I would like to keep the fan if possible. Was thinking the Corsair fans on the H100i could be intake and the 140mm could be exhaust to help pull air flow through the radiator. Or more likely the exact opposite. I have heard that the H100i works best when the dual fans are on top and used as intakes to bring cool air from outside into the case. If that is treu, I have some spare 80mm fans I picked up on a newegg sale a while back that could replace the 140mm.

here is a list of the stuff that is going in and what is already in:

AMD FX-8350 Black (new)
ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 990FX (new)
Galaxy GTX650i 2MB (old)
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX Gold Cert 750W Active PFC Modular PSU (old)
2x Front 120mm intake
1x Side 120mm exhaust
1x Rear 120mm exhaust
1x Top 1400mm exhaust

My current Phenon II 1055T OCed to 3.25Ghz never gets above 42C on air cooling, but I hear the FX-8350 is a heat beast due to the power consupmtion.

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostGolrar, on 02 May 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

I just dropped coin on a few new internals and took the plunge on a liquid cooling solution for the new CPU. Anybody have one of these that can realistically tell me how hard it is to mount? I have a Rosewill Challenger case (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147153) with a 140mm fan on the top. I would like to keep the fan if possible. Was thinking the Corsair fans on the H100i could be intake and the 140mm could be exhaust to help pull air flow through the radiator. Or more likely the exact opposite. I have heard that the H100i works best when the dual fans are on top and used as intakes to bring cool air from outside into the case. If that is treu, I have some spare 80mm fans I picked up on a newegg sale a while back that could replace the 140mm.

here is a list of the stuff that is going in and what is already in:

AMD FX-8350 Black (new)
ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 990FX (new)
Galaxy GTX650i 2MB (old)
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX Gold Cert 750W Active PFC Modular PSU (old)
2x Front 120mm intake
1x Side 120mm exhaust
1x Rear 120mm exhaust
1x Top 1400mm exhaust

My current Phenon II 1055T OCed to 3.25Ghz never gets above 42C on air cooling, but I hear the FX-8350 is a heat beast due to the power consupmtion.

well once you get to about 4.6ghz or higher the 8350 starts to pump out heat like crazy @ 5.0 its pretty wild......I would lay money down and say you could OC that 8350 to 4.5 with little or no Vcore adjustment on that setup without push pull(for 1month break in, no adjustments-set it forget it)............but go ahead and push pull that radiator anyways.......

#3 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

Thanks, Smokeyjedi. Although I wasn't going to OC it until at least fall (get's hot in Chicago, really it does), push/pull shouldn't really have any adverse effects during break in should it? I mean, cold is good and all that.

I won't OC it till I get new RAM anyway. Still using 8GB Ripjaw DDR3 1600 until I can budget the new stuff.

#4 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

http://www.hardocp.c...cooler_review/5

http://www.anandtech...quid-coolers/11

http://www.anandtech...nzxt-compared/6

http://www.tomshardw...20,3380-14.html

#5 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

I've installed a Coolit Vantage ALC and a Corsair H80, and neither are particularly hard to mount. Though, I'd imagine a 240mm radiator would be more awkward to fit than the 120mm ones, as those just go where the exhaust fan would go.

Anyway, I wouldn't use a 140mm fan on that radiator. It wouldn't work well because the edge of the fan blades would be overhanging the 120mm width radiator, and that's where the fastest air is moving. It would obstruct more air than it would move.

If you want to have a push-pull setup, do it properly and get two more 120mm fans. Be sure that you have enough fan headers for it, and if not get a Y-splitter or a fan controller.

It looks like it will be pretty difficult to mount the large radiator in this particular case. Such radiators are really designed for full tower cases that have specific provisions for liquid cooling. The only place that it looks like it's designed to fit is the 2x120mm mount on the side panel, but opening the case would put undue stress on the tubes.

So...I dunno.

#6 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the info. Getting a new case is not beyond my means, I actually have a Tsunami case in the garage that I moved away from because of size and weight (it's all aluminum), but it is a full tower.

I'll see what I can do with the Challenger for now. Extensive case modding is not beyond the realm of possibilities either. Maybe yank the top off and build a custom mount and top from lexan, which I have plenty of. Plus it gives me another excuse to mount more blue LEDs. :unsure:

I'll try to post pics when I am done with my monster.

#7 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

As long as your have sufficient case flow, the H100 could easily just be exhaust mounted on top, since your case temp will only be a few degrees warmer than the ambient temp, at most (and if you're running that close to the thermal limit of your chip, you have problems).

Personally, I would just take a dremmel tool and slightly increase the length of the top fan grill, keeping the extention narrower than the distance between the H100 mounting screws, then just bolt the thing to the top of the case. It would take you a whopping 10 or 15 minutes, and even though the fans would be exposed, they wouldn't accumulate dust of note as exhaust, as and as long you're not derp and trying to touch them with things, nothing will interfere with their running.

Yes, you COULD mount the H100 elsewhere, but you're severely limited by the hose length (I know, I have one). Also, in my experience, the H100 does not benefit substantially from a push/pull, partly because the included fans have ridiculous airflow already, not that you lose anything by experimenting.

Edited by Catamount, 03 May 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#8 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Bah, Dremel? I would just make more grill with my drill press!

I was already thinking along those lines. As long as that top plate is screwed in and not riveted I should have no problem taking it off and sticking it in the press. Makes for nice clean even holes, and it will look like it was made that way. Little bit of satin black paint and good as new. I was almost thinking of repainting the entire case to look more in theme with the mobo and it's field drab colors.

#9 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

That sounds like an inordinate amount of effort for a $50 case :ph34r:

Besides, if you want to maximize airflow, which is obvious if a push/pull is even a consideration, then grill<no grill :)

Edit: Apparently I was speaking in derp when I first typed this. Fixed.

Edited by Catamount, 04 May 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#10 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

Why that is a perfect solution! Just cut the hole! Like you said, it's a $50 case, so why not?

#11 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ok so h100i is in. Fits ok but IReally butchered the top of the case. I will just end up buying a new case I guess. Any recommendations on a budget that will fit this thing out the box? I am looking for something not too far above $120 if possible.

BTW, Win 7 initial install before updates: 16 minutes off DVD to SSD. Nice!

#12 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

Try looking at the coolmaster HAF XM mid tower it was huge and had instruction in the box for mounting a closed loop system like corsair or you could just get a corsair case. Since they make the h100 they should support it in there case lineup just don;t know which corsair to tell you to look at. When you get it done and gives us the numbers on how the 8350 pushes MWO please.

#13 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

http://www.bitfenix..../chassis/ghost/
Besides the lame cooling fans that came with it(swapped out for corsair AF120's X5+2 for H80i) this case is totally sleek sexy and has space to spare......including mounts for radiators on the top and a removable hardpanel or screenpanel to use if needed.....
quickly removable dust filters make this an all around slick case.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 07 May 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#14 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

I now have two difference close loop cooling systems in my rig. a Corsair H80 and the Arctic Accellero Hybrid II. Mounting was pretty painless for both, but I'm redoing my mounting tonight as I think it will route better with the radiator and fan for the Acellero will work better at the front of the case, and I'm not happy with the tautness of the cables for the H80 as they stretch to the front of the case.

#15 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Already noticed some significant gains in MWO, and some weird bits too. Such as I never had V-sync turned on before, never had an issue. Now if I don't turn it on, I get stutters and tearing like crazy.

I am running everything on High right now with DX11, except shadows at medium. Got rid of cockpit glass and grain, but kept DoF. Averaging 48fps, and this is with the GTX650i that I am still using for now. Never drop below 35fps even in a brawl.

What is really funny is even when I drop to 35fps, it still feels and looks smooth as hell. Just running on the stock speeds for the FX, and still using DDR 1600 ram for now. GSkill Ripjaw 8GB.

One really cool thing: Coretemp reports my idle core temps around 16 C. Load temps around 28 C. Asus Thermal Radar shows my case temp never getting above 38 C when playing. And I even had to get rid of the 140mm fan that was in the top due to clearances. So all I have for fans is the 120mm puller in the front, the 120mm exhaust in the back, the 120mm exhaust on the side and the two stock H100i fans sucking from the top.

Edit: Typos

Edited by Golrar, 07 May 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#16 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

http://www.overclock...8/prifinitty-v2
try this program to allow MWOclient.exe to use the dormant threads you have at this moment........

And this one for unparking dormant cores while gaming.........
http://www.softpedia...rkControl.shtml

seriously, thank me later........

#17 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

I already got the parkcontrol running from one of your previous threads. I'll check out the Prifinity V2 this weekend.

I also have a preset in my MSI Afterburner to douse my GPU with max fan speed while I play.

#18 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hey Golrar, about the only thing you'll have to check out on a perspective case is the clearance from top of case to MB. You'll need roughly 80mm total clearance, 25mm for each fan and 28mm for the radiator. Cases with that much clearance are hard to find. There are plenty of higher priced cases with the clearance needed but not many if any in the under $120 price range.

I personally have a Corsair 750D But that's a $160 case. There is about 3 mm extra clearance with a push/pull setup on the fan's. The Corsair 450D might work also but I'd contact Corsair to be certain. Anyway good luck with the build I've enjoyed running a H100i for 2 years now with no problems even OC'ing my 8350 to 5.0 Ghz.

I run 4.5 Ghz everyday without any vcore adjustments and have never run over about 40c even when bench-marking. Be sure to get High static pressure fans for your second set when using push pull config, Corsair suggests their SP120 fan's of course but there are decent High static Pressure fans out there that are cheaper.

Edited by Ashvins, 07 May 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#19 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

Clearance was an issue with this case. It cleared, but it was like putting together a puzzle. I had to reinstall the rear fan and all the mobo plugins (even for the cooler) before installing. Then I had to drill mount holes with the radiator in place. I had to be VERY careful when drilling. Didn't want to drill a hole in the radiator!

I could have spent more time making the top grill to make it look prettier, but when I test fit everything and realized a bigger case would be necessary, function won out over form so it looks kind of ugly. Good airflow though.

As a replacement, I was looking at the Rosewill Thor V2: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147053

Massive, and from the video you can definitely mount the H100i in there if you remove the top 230mm fan. I like the way the white looks, but will more than likely go black. Only problem is my existing fans, which I would want to use because of the LEDs, are all blue and the Thor's fans are red. But I could go for a little purple action.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users