King Crab - Bringing Back Phoenix Or Founders

805 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

Here is my take on this subject being heavily discussed. In case your unaware the summary is that we have plenty of IS loyalists who either missed the chance or chose not to buy a Legendary founders or Phoenix overlord package. Now to qualify for the King Crab their only remaining option is to buy either a Masakari or Man O War package. But of course they are IS loyalists so this option is understandably not much of an option at all.

Here are a few hard stops as I see it:

Although there were many ways we could have gone about the Customer appreciation program and the criteria we set for each of the various rewards. The fact is we launched it under the requirements that we did and many people have already made significant buying decisions based on that information so I don't think it would be fair to adjust that criteria at this point.

Next on to the Foundes and Phoenix programs, I have read the threads and although there is some support in both cases there is also I believe enough players that are against the prospect that it would be unfair of Piranha to bring those programs back.

Trust me bringing back the Founders or Phoenix program would be by far the easiest option for Piranha to provide, however I don't feel we have the complete support we would need to do so. Which means that IF we were to provide a new IS package it would need to be a NEW program.

If we look at the price points of the four qualifying packages they go from 120, 80, 240 and 120. Therefore the lowest price point was the Phoenix Overlord package and with that in mind I think any new program would at least need to match the 80$ package level. Also Piranha has never charged for one of these programs at these dollar amounts unless the value of the packages were high and the biggest part of that value was in the fact the chassis were all new.

So I think if we were to offer a package for IS players to get in order to qualify for the King Crab I think it would need to be a new 80$ package with new IS chassis.

I want to hear your thoughts now on this, because it takes significant resources to develop one of these packages and we would need to have some idea on what the support level would be, how many would be interested?

#2 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

I would love to see a new $80 IS package offered with new IS chassis. Question would be can it be ready for order by the December deadline to qualify for the King Crab reward and would it delay other higher priority work (Maps, CW)?

EDIT: clarification of the December deadline question

Edited by EgoSlayer, 19 September 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#3 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

I would buy a $80 IS mech package INSTANTLY. I don't have any interest in dropping real money for clan mechs but would kill to do so for IS mechs. Please make this happen!

Hell I would only say it's 10% for the King Crab. I just want a good value IS pack because I:

1. Work too much to grind for all the mechs I'd like
2. Get paid too little to drop MC on individual mechs
3. Sick of all the clan packs, I want to play civilized IS mechs!

The only reason I didn't get the Phoenix pack was because I was jobless at the time.

Yeah PGI you may **** me sometimes/a lot with your decisions, but I still enjoy the game and play it lots, and want to give you money for that (and to increase my enjoyment of the game), but without a Is pack at the moment I simply can't fork over any money.

As for what mechs, if it were new mechs even with an early new year release date I'd drop the money and be happy to wait (get a king crab to tide me over at least), but I'd be quite happy with a "Faction pack" of IS mechs that already exist with packaged camos and colours, maybe a new variant or two if possible, some bonus c bill mechs. That'd be a lot less work and still be a good reason to drop real cash for me (as long as they were decent mechs)

Edited by themoob, 18 September 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#4 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm all for it.

It does take quite a bit of resource...

Mischief had a great idea about bundling some mechs per faction and you would get the colors for those mechs, and all of them with a 30% cbill bonus. That's not a bad idea, you wouldn't have to dip into resources to make a new mech chassis. If you wanted to create new chassis I'd create a poll see what the community wanted, or if you already have chassis on the drawing board use those?

Edited by Saxie, 18 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#5 Ritterzero

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Even though I'm already getting a King Crab, I would buy an $80 IS pack, as long as all the mechs are new.

#6 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

A lot would depend on the chassis involved. Some people would LOVE to get their mitts on some chassis and would pay. Others won't.

In the greater scheme of things, the IS side still need a few more mechs to round out their stable; the variety is currently decent to good but certain tonnage ranges should have additional options (70 tons, I'm looking at you...). I am receptive to a pack idea but the spending decision ultimately would happen when I see what the mechs are.

I'm also speaking from the perspective of someone who already qualify to be extra-crabby...

The other question would of course be what would be bumped off the development track for this.

Edited by Lynx7725, 18 September 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

Sounds absolutely awesome. Have you got some more IS goodies tucked away on a shelf back there?

#8 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

CW first ,and done properly.then new mechs. I am sure most of you will agree on this.

#9 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

As a Phoenix Overlord, but not a role player at all:

You said we can't buy a Vulture a'la carte because its a special reward; we have to wait. I view the King Crab the same way. Non-founders/overlords can wait, too.

Of course, you can throw a LOT of money at it to get a free Mad Dog, but its largely unattainable unless you already have a Masakari pack.

My solution? Put both of them up for a'la carte sale.

Then everyone who gets free stuff as a reward still gets free stuff as a reward, while those who want those things anyways can still buy em. Its a lot more financially reasonable for people than having to buy another pack, and those who did buy major packs still get a shiny reward for free.

#10 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Um...why not just offer the King Crab for MC and later c-bills?

#11 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

I'm getting mighty impressed by this new level of communication Russ. I was solidly in the anti-PGI camp but am now leaning to slightly hopeful but still sceptical camp.

That said a new $80 package is a great idea. The Overlord or Founders should not come back as it's a past promotion tied in with past MWO events.

#12 WM Jeri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

I would love to see more IS mechs even though I plan on being Clan in CW I love collecting the paks so would love to see this!

#13 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

I think the original Phoenix package was underwhelming. The mechs it eventually came with were less than stellar, and people basing their complaints that some 'got lucky' with buying an Overlord package and want it to come back sound very much entitled.

I say have a new IS pack release. Make this pack include the King Crab in its highest tier. And give Phoenix buyers a discount on this pack.

Everyone's happy.

#14 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Well I have a certain clan player that's been dying to pilot a Zeus..I know the Mauler gets a lot of want due to it's pressence in Mech 2 + the cartoon (prolly more mech 2..) but it has variant issues..

The grasshopper I believe has 3 variants appropriate to the time line

Medium.. well The Crab..

And light I'd go for the Panther

With so many IS players I suspect support would be fairly strong... I mean hell at $80 I'd prolly get it.. you've already gotten me for everything except a gold mech

edit: Problem being how much would this deviate resources away from CW? New shiney can only forstall the need for it for so long..

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 18 September 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#15 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

New chassis? Very likely buy.

#16 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

View PostEgoSlayer, on 18 September 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

I would love to see a new $80 IS package offered with new IS chassis. Question would be can it be done by the December deadline and would it delay other higher priority work (Maps, CW)?

Excellent Question that I knew would come up quickly.

No at this point with the new Map production process it would not effect the production of Maps or CW, however no I do not believe we could get this done by the same Dec 16th deadline. If there was interest we would need to meet and schedule internally but it would almost certainly need to slip into the new year guessing a date beyond that would be irresponsible at this point.

#17 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostDelas Ting Usee, on 18 September 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

It will be.
http://mwomercs.com/...iation-program/

#18 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

I would love to see another wave of IS mechs injected into the game! I know the Clanbusters are a few years out, but there are PLENTY of other timeline appropriate rides to choose from. If the new package came with a Mauler in the assault slot, I'd purchase it in a heartbeat.

#19 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostDelas Ting Usee, on 18 September 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

We are - I believe it is Dec 16th for MC and Jan 20th for C-Bills but there are those that would want the Custom version with the C-Bill bonus etc.

#20 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:26 PM

All this for a King Crab with a custom paint job and 30% C-bill....which is only injected on 16th Dec...the same day standard variants for MC comes out...(C-bills 20 Jan)....

And damn people post fast...

Reason I bought Overlord was because of the value and Battlemaster. Since the 50% discount on heroes, bought some as well. Didn't buy clans because the pricing is a bit high for my taste.

It would have to be really convincing $80 package for me unfortunately.

Besides what CAN you do before the deadline?

- Release new IS mechs (at the same time as the clan mechs)?
- Bundle current prime variant mechs with 30% C-bill bonus and custom paints?

Edited by Hemholtz, 18 September 2014 - 08:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users