#1 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

The day has finally come, MechWarriors.

The war for the Inner Sphere has begun.

This forum is dedicated to all Community Warfare discussions. The organization of this forum will adapt over time in response to community needs and general posting methods.

Please forgive any construction mess!

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Congratulations PGI for achieving this milestone. Your progress and attitude in the past three months has been impressive and encouraging in a way I would never have thought possible even six months ago.

I know this new forum will soon be full of bug reports and calls for rebalancing (I'll get to those in a moment). But I think any reasonable player will agree that the release of a new feature as complex as CW was always going to be fraught with balance challenges. I agree that getting it out into the players hands now, so you have time to fix the key issues before your staff head off on leave, was the right call.

As for CW itself... well, yeah, lots of bugs to fix and balance to be achieved. My small group chose to defend a planet for the Rasalhague Republic, but instead found ourselves attacking a full group of Lords on a planet in Steiner territory. And at the end of the match I earned 191 Loyalty Points with Raselhague "for serving Davion".

Lolwhut?!

Even given we were playing a full Lords 12-man it became very clear what the balance issues in CW are going to be. First there's the whole "dropping against a 12 man when you're in a small group" which rarely ends well. Then there's the wide open terrain which heavily favors long range weapons. Then there's the disadvantage for the attackers who get whittled down while trying to take down the gates, only to face uber LL turrets around the sub-orbital cannon, while getting hammered by an enemy who spawns much closer to the cannon than you do.

But hey, it's early days, and I am just glad to finally see CW live.

Once again, congratulations to the PGI team.

Edited by Appogee, 11 December 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#3 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

yayaya

#4 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

I salute you, Alexander, and to those brave mechwarriors who will fight likable, long lasting battles that are to come...!

I take back what I said. Faction Play has been left for dead. Thanks PGI.

Edited by Scout Derek, 12 August 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#5 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Prepare to defend your planets Kerensky followers

#6 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostIan Drsaurri, on 11 December 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

Prepare to defend your planets Kerensky followers

Aye Davion, we Mercs be hunting those clanners for weeks on end..!

#7 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

CW feels awesome, i'm so excited. At least it was first impression.
I waited for it since closed beta, actually it is my main interest in MWO.
Sure, its long road ahead, much to do, but its a start. And a good one.
PS i cant wait for Phase 3, with lore units, and other stuff. Though one thing MWO taught us for sure - it is patience :)

#8 Tvrdoglavi

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Nice to see CW finally arrive, but.... Waited 15 minutes to land on a map with no enemies and destroy a few turrets. You sit there and wait, it doesn't show how many players are waiting or if any have joined you, there is no way to tell how long it will take for the match to fill up. I'm trying one more match and I'm done for Today. You will have to find a way to show how many people are in queue for which planet so one players can pick the active planets to try and drop on. Until then, this will be a failure. ------------ Edit: Well, I managed to drop into a match with defenders and I have to say that that was a lot of fun. There is still hope for this. But it needs a way to better tell the best battles to try to drop into.

Edited by Tvrdoglavi, 11 December 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#9 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, not being able to see where other people are forming up to fight makes it really hard to understand what's going on in the Faction tab - having that "Planet _ Needs Defenders!" pop up, only to see an empty qeue & wind up seeing if the clock actually does run out...it's pretty puzzling.

Like, I hate to use the word unintuitive, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

edit: as I typed this out it seems that around the 5 minute mark something actually did happen and I was plugged in to fill one of the two gaps for a 10-man group.

Edited by Telmasa, 11 December 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#10 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

Most people seem to be still in the solo queue because their faction leaders haven't selected factions yet.

#11 s0hno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Love it!
It certainly needs a lot of balancing and all that, but it brings a hole new aspect to the game.

#12 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

Okay, after getting into a battle and playing it, AWESOME. The dropships are just fantastic! It's a real challenge to move up on the maps (and lord, the terrain can be a pain in the rear), but not so hard that it's overwhelming.

Figuring out how to get *into a fight* could use some tutorial or something, but otherwise, holy cow, PGI, this is freaking awesome.

#13 nero37

• PipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

ok you guys realy need how to explain thing so the clan im was informed by the patch that you would join game and get to choose you faction right then and there, until we logged in and didnt get the chose that reason apparently is that only the leader can choose it and the contracts which is total bs and youve basicly screwd over groups who's leader isn't realy on and my group as well so next time be a little more spacific when you try to explain how to do somthing

#14 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

PGI, Beta seems fun and this game mode is what we've been waiting for, for 2 years. Great launch!

#15 Fanatic

• 1,326 posts
  • LocationColonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Posted Image

#16 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Bugs or no, seriously, glad to see this day finally arrive.

#17 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image

#18 Andyboy

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

Seriously, the leader of the group can sign a 28 day contract without consulting anyone? And condemn me to 28 days of trial mechs because I don't own any Clan mechs???

Then it costs 1,120,000 to break a contract someone else signed, yet the contract still continues for 2 days anyways?

Stuck in trial mechs for 2 days after paying the penalty anyways. Not happy.

Edited by Andyboy, 11 December 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#19 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

Well, after a couple of matches, I have to say I enjoy the change in tactics and objectives. I understand this is Beta, and we'll see changes and more additions as we go forwards (I hope).

That said, I have to say I am disappointed in how small the maps are, and how limited the objectives. It seems like the battle only really comes down to a single point on the map, with no real need for either side to disperse out of the 'Death Ball' formation, and no objectives except the central target. This makes this feel like another arena fight to me, rather than the broad-front warfare I was hoping for. We have casual play modes for all of the competitive players and the arena fighting they want, so why does the part of the game that is supposed to be for more serious gameplay feel so similar and confined?

Besides that, the maps seem almost identical. Three lanes of attack, all very close together, leading to a central target point on the 'back' end of the map. This leaves the defenders able to very easily shift to whichever gate is threatened. It seems it would have been much more engaging if the target was in the -center- of a much larger map, with the three gates spaced out much more to make deployment of forces more important and unpredictable. Some reason for the defenders to have to cover other areas of the map, and a means for them to move to engage the attackers before they get to the gates would also seem rational.

All in all, this might be a good small-scale test of the mechanics, but I am seriously hoping for a better final product.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 11 December 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#20 Cdrmaster

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

how do you get in groups with your unit members...?? 6 of us were trying to go into a match only after sitting there waiting for 5-6 min. and then 5 of us would get in and a 6th member would get left out....?? or then we would wait for the next match and 3 would get in and 3 would get left out...???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users