19 replies to this topic

#1 WOLF TooGoooD

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVancouver Canada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:49 PM

as long as you keep the objective in mind, to destroy the 3 small gens and finally the genorator at the back of the Gamma gun.

its frustrating to have 3 good pushes and during the final push 2 of your team decide to play the duck some place else or go on their own and we lose a game because of it.
  • a 12 man push groupped very close = win.
  • a strung out push only feeds the other side few mechs at a time and is a lost cause.
  • if you stop to fire at other mechs you lose.
  • if you lag behind you lose
  • if you scout ahead because you have a turbo charger in your mech and you can leave everyone in the dust you lose.
if your team takes two different routes to the base even though you are in close proximity you lose.

remember take out the 3 small gens then take out the big one behind the orbital gun at gamma.
that is the objective to win. getting top kills or damage gets you nothing not even a ginger bread man cookie.

when the team leader says go , it means GO it doesnt mean look around and wait for the heavies to pass you first. i see a lot of pugs that when the command is given to go stand around and look at each other while the 3 guys that listened rush in and get nuked, then they push forward and rush with a 8 man in to a 12 man fire line. and there is always that one scout that didnt even go and is still alive.

also taking a slow assult mech is not recommended for attacks. i understand some people have only a few mechs and and have to take a warhawk or dire to make the 4 mech drop. but anything under 70 is just too slow for attacking.

lastly when you are standing around at the gate waiting for other people to group up pay attention 3 games now ive seen a single enemy cross the gate in the middle of 10 mechs all afk,
Leg one guy and run back still alive, all the while im blocked in by 3 dire wales all afk.

#2 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Actually our unit has just been outright killing the opposing team recently. Does that work too?

We were doing mist lynx raids followed by a primary Twolf hit but it only works on some maps and tends not to return many c-bills. We have largely figured how to wipe them which gives money and a good chance of a win. :)

If we can't out right wipe them we typically do a swing for the generators after we pop a bunch of them. Regardless we are trying to make smashing them the primary objective rather than blindly doing trench runs for the generator.

Edited by Blueduck, 22 December 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#3 WOLF TooGoooD

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVancouver Canada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

View PostBlueduck, on 22 December 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Actually our unit has just been outright killing the opposing team recently. Does that work too?

We were doing mist lynx raids followed by a primary Twolf hit but it only works on some maps and tends not to return many c-bills. We have largely figured how to wipe them which gives money and a good chance of a win. :)

If we can't out right wipe them we typically do a swing for the generators after we pop a bunch of them. Regardless we are trying to make smashing them the primary objective rather than blindly doing trench runs for the generator.

are you doing the above in a pug groups or a 12 man? a 12 man i can see this working, vs another 12 man however you will have a hard time unless the other side is bad.
my post is geared more towards pugs as i don't belong to a unit.

#4 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

We typically do this in a 12 man but frankly in regards to PUGS you're going to have a hard time winning regardless of what you do on offense.

Offense requires very good coordination for either a rush or brawl strategy, something that you're not going to get out of a public game. I'm not speaking for all non-unit players but in a generic game all it takes is one doofus to decide he doesn't want to wait to alert the defense where you are pushing from.

#5 xfirestorm

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:30 AM

An all out push on Boreal Vault is hard when you have a 12 man group on defense, and it does no matter if attacker is a 12 man or pugs. It is a lot harder than on Sulphourus Rift, because you basically have no cover from the gate on, a few shallow valleys, where the defenders can shoot at you almost freely. And by the time you reach the base, the defenders can fall back much quicker and wait for you there.

I am not saying it is not possible, but significally harder.

#6 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:41 AM

We ran into a defensive scheme that stopped us pretty good. Think of a soccer or hockey formation (1-3-1) something along those lines.

The defenders had two mechs sitting behind the gates to slow us down with 8 in the middle and one safety near the cannon. It worked well because we had elements that didn't follow the plan.

You need to have 12 guys on the same game plan or you're doomed. Think as one and act as one.

#7 Fox Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 375 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North / The Wolfs Den

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

I find attacking much easier than defending right now. I mean whatever you do, u can get all the gens down in 2 waves.

Thats why our unit has the approach Blueduck mentioned. We brawl it out for the first 2-3 waves, knocking gens as we can but not priority.

We did one with 7 DWF's under ECM/AMS and it was hilarious, early score was like 12-0, ended up being 24-12 after first wave was over. :).

Basically in a 12 man with comms. You can brawl it out and get the gens in wave 3-4 without even blinking. The zerg still cannot be stopped but only use it as a last ditch effort.

#8 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

the zerg is still the best option imho, if you not in a 12 man the herd the cats in and get them on board with what your doing, currently we generally have an attack drop done in 2 waves

#9 Fox Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 23 December 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

the zerg is still the best option imho, if you not in a 12 man the herd the cats in and get them on board with what your doing, currently we generally have an attack drop done in 2 waves

Yeah but thats boring as ****. Its like I said, we want to actually have fun and give the enemy some fun too. Gen zerging is boring as its a 100% win everytime.

Thats why we fight for 2-3 waves and usually end it in wave 4.

#10 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

i agree 100% its boring as **** lol, id have loved to see your 7 d-wolf drop + ecm, im sure there were hardly any IS pukes whining about OP clan stuff LOL nice one

#11 Fox Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 23 December 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

i agree 100% its boring as **** lol, id have loved to see your 7 d-wolf drop + ecm, im sure there were hardly any IS pukes whining about OP clan stuff LOL nice one

Yeah it was pretty funny just face melting them but its tricky as we spent too much time brawling and almost missed the omega in the last minute haha.

We have just started to video capture our games. I think we have 2 members trying to get into that, experimenting with it. We are casual so its all about the fun for us.

#12 jayg20769

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'll have to drop with somebody because pugging is impossible. It was Clan vs IS and we (clan) were attacking. Defenders rush us over the closed gates with lights galore and we get torn to shreds.

#13 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

You are superior pilots in superior mechs. Why are you not just killing them, then strolling into their base? Doesn't work every time but it sure is fun an as long as you move together, you will win more than you lose. And FYI, a zerg rush on the hot planet is very difficult to defend against however the cold planet it can be defended against very easily.

Edited by Pat Kell, 24 December 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#14 Demiurge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 713 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 24 December 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

You are superior pilots in superior mechs. Why are you not just killing them, then strolling into their base? Doesn't work every time but it sure is fun an as long as you move together, you will win more than you lose.

That is not a fun. Ppl need 80 score. I understand that. But kiling everyone at enemy base is boring. We try this against pugs some time. Not so fun how you can think. So now, i just command to destroy all 3 gen in first wave and destroy the omega. 5-6 min for game is enought if you attack. Work not everytime of cource. Sometime need to make a second rush.

Defending in current game mechanics is much harder than attack in my opinion. Full 12 man team can do this. But pugs - not. Team need coordination, need scouts and must react fast for any changing situation in battle. Simple 2 gate push can make a trouble for defending team if they not react properly and in time. Even at cold planet decence is harder than attack.

#15 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:15 AM

View PostDemiurge, on 25 December 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

Defending in current game mechanics is much harder than attack in my opinion. Full 12 man team can do this. But pugs - not. Team need coordination, need scouts and must react fast for any changing situation in battle. Simple 2 gate push can make a trouble for defending team if they not react properly and in time. Even at cold planet decence is harder than attack.

Did you ever try to lead a pug team in attack? :mellow:

#16 Demiurge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 713 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 25 December 2014 - 03:15 AM, said:

Did you ever try to lead a pug team in attack? :mellow:

Yes. 2 or 3 time. Full pug team.

But really, i preffer lead my own team. :) Beacose they are the best :)

#17 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostDemiurge, on 25 December 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Yes. 2 or 3 time. Full pug team.

But really, i preffer lead my own team. :) Beacose they are the best :)

I did it like 5 times. First one was a narrow victory after me and another one (who gave up halfway) tried to take lead of the pugs. The other drops have been between "awful" and "waste of time" :(

#18 Demiurge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 713 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

I saw that this morning. Part of team stop on half way and start shoot at enemy during gen rush. Other don't even go thru gate. "Waste of time" as you said

#19 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostDemiurge, on 26 December 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

I saw that this morning. Part of team stop on half way and start shoot at enemy during gen rush. Other don't even go thru gate. "Waste of time" as you said

On the other hand, pug defenses could be defined "cheerful" :D

They are so much easier, even without coordination (vs other pugs that is).

#20 Spare Parts Bin

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Pug drops have been absolutely a nightmare. On attack they mill around the gates or try to hide uselessly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users