Pgi Want To Make Money In A Way That No One Complains?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

Seriously - this seems like it should be pretty easy to implement; nobody would complain; and it would actually lead to people giving you more money.

On the Home Tab, have a little camera button. The camera button will take a picture of your current mech, and use that picture as the thumbnail image for that mech.

That's it. I'm sure those thumbnails are saved locally on your computer anyways - so how hard can this idea be to implement?

#2 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

How exactly can PGI profit off this?

#3 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

What is this feature for and why would I pay for it?

#4 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostBurktross, on 25 December 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

How exactly can PGI profit off this?

Sale of camo/color etc maybe?

#5 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

I don't think that feature will make them any money.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostSaxie, on 25 December 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Sale of camo/color etc maybe?

This.

I suspect the original poster means PGI could profit indirectly, by allowing you to do image icons of your own choosing for the mechs... which gives you incentive to decorate and color-code your mechs. Thus, indirectly increasing the motivation to buy colors and patterns for mechs.

In my case, I have an excess of 150 mechs now.

I've got lots of colors and patterns, and it'd be very useful to color code or pattern my mechs to help me find them visually. Especially since the text for them is TINY and unreadable on my screen, due to the way the user interface scales with higher resolutions.

#7 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 December 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

This.

I suspect the original poster means PGI could profit indirectly, by allowing you to do image icons of your own choosing for the mechs... which gives you incentive to decorate and color-code your mechs. Thus, indirectly increasing the motivation to buy colors and patterns for mechs.

I've got lots of colors and patterns, and it'd be very useful to color code or pattern my mechs to help me find them visually. Especially since the text for them is TINY and unreadable on my screen, due to the way the user interface scales with higher resolutions.

Can we replace OP's post with this?
No offense, OP, but this is much better worded, and now gets my support.

#8 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

Then maybe Koniving should have started the thread. I've never been a strong communicator when trying to talk to the masses.

#9 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 25 December 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Seriously - this seems like it should be pretty easy to implement; nobody would complain; and it would actually lead to people giving you more money

Sorry but it won't work as someone will always complain if there is something out there that costs money to have.

#10 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 25 December 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Sorry but it won't work as someone will always complain if there is something out there that costs money to have.

The camera should be free - Koniving is right, the point would be that if people could customize their thumbnails, they'd be more likely to buy paints and such.

#11 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 25 December 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

The camera should be free - Koniving is right, the point would be that if people could customize their thumbnails, they'd be more likely to buy paints and such.

I'm not disputing if Koniving's idea would or wouldn't work, I'm just disputing the "nobody would complain" bit. Even with this suggestion you would get people complaining "it's just to make money, stop taking dev time away from X as I won't spend money on this" etcetera.

#12 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

They need to start offering stuff for micro mc prices and they will make money. I would give them 5 mc for a forum picture. As long as its not required to play the game I don't see a problem with it . Just no p2w.

#13 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostRaggedyman, on 25 December 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

I'm not disputing if Koniving's idea would or wouldn't work, I'm just disputing the "nobody would complain" bit. Even with this suggestion you would get people complaining "it's just to make money, stop taking dev time away from X as I won't spend money on this" etcetera.

It's not really Koniving's idea.

You are right, there will always be someone who will complain.

#14 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 25 December 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

It's not really Koniving's idea.

You are right, there will always be someone who will complain.

I'd argue it is the idea of whoever was able to formulate & share that idea. You may have started the thread, but your unclear message was not too far from gibberish to us "masses" (thanks). Koniving was able to refine/clarify/explain your concept.

On topic: I'd like that. I hate that my kitfox (for example) thumbnails don't match my layouts at all - ones with big missile arms don't have them in reality, etc.

#15 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostKoniving, on 25 December 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

This.

Yeah, I would love that feature....to have the mech icon reflect the camo that you have on the mech.

#16 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

PrtScn takes screenshots. GIMP can edit them. But your user icon is a faction icon. And they ain't replacing those, but you can always make your own sig. :huh:

#17 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 25 December 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

PrtScn takes screenshots. GIMP can edit them. But your user icon is a faction icon. And they ain't replacing those, but you can always make your own sig. :huh:

Not user icon - the thumbnail for the mech in the mechlab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users