22 replies to this topic

#1 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

Well, as some of you may or may not know. New Zealand is going to get hit by Cyclone Pam at approx Monday the 16, March. Which is no more then 4 days away from now. As well as hitting some smaller pacific countries before hand. I want to mention firstly that this is estimated to be the worst storm of New Zealand history.

However, I want to say that I will, we all will be alright. The storm isn't really hitting us directly [pictures bellow] and even if it does it isn't going to be that bad. We kiwis sure do have a way of taking hits from nature and coming out fine. I can say this as I have been in the worst flood in the past 100 years in Christchurch, all 3 earthquakes. and some of the harshest winds that stripped tiles of roofs and trees from the ground, and after that we often get right back onto our feet and brush ourselves off and start rebuilding, fixing, repairing, and salvaging what happened.

After the Christchurch earthquake our icon, one of the oldest buildings in New Zealand got destroyed, the Cathedral. We built simply a make shift one which is beautiful in a different way and represents us as a country. Being made mainly out of carboard and a little bit of recycled glass. 100% recyclable and broke quite a few records. Just the makeshift one =)

I know this may not be the same as comparing an earthquake and floods with a cyclone and you guys up north had experience with that in the past few years (Auckland, Wellington, I'm looking at you too... note I love how that trampoline got stuck on the roof...)
But I think it's safe to say these famous words... "She'll be 'right"

Posted Image

-Note: To those who have lost someone in these recent incidences. You have my condolences and I am sorry if you find this disrespectful or harmful, that is not the intention of this thread but instead a warning or a relief to those of other countries to know that we'll be, most of us will, be okay.

-Note 2: Australia, in the case we do get hurt. I want to have lots of kangaroo jerky and ice cream sent this way... for medical reasons and reconstruction reasons ofc...

Hope no one out there had a panic attack that there is a huge storm coming our way. you have to keep in mind that in the southern hemispheres bad storms do not happen often, Our "worst storm in NZ ever" may be your normal weekly gust of wind. (which is true for some countries...).

I decided to make this thread in case the power / internet gets off in some locations here and people wounder. Or if people are concerned they at least know what is happening.

The least I want to happen is if we lost a few good forumers and/or there families and we're all sitting here discussing how Friday the 13th is scary for no reason. or how someone lost the football game last night.

#2 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:34 AM

Keep safe.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

I really wonder how people can do this: living in zones where regular chance of such hurricans, taifunes, tornadoes and whatever nature has to offer can happen. Especially when the first time everythign you own is destroyed, there is hardly something left that would me make settle there again with the risk of have this happening again and possibly even dying.

So stay safe over there.

#4 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

....and just in case, people from `Murica are reading this: Yes, Global Warming is a myth. Increasing numbers of Cylcones are just a coincidence.

#5 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

Stay Safe Kiwi friends.

#6 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Stay safe.

#7 AhFendz

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Stay safe. If you're indoors most of the time, what better way to spent those time wrecking some battlemechs, right? and perhaps a live streaming in MWO while Cyclone Pam is around? provided no power and internet connection interruptions of course...

#8 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

View PostMycrus, on 12 March 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

Keep safe.

View Postslide, on 12 March 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Stay Safe Kiwi friends.

View Postmr bear, on 12 March 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

Stay safe.

View PostAhFendz, on 12 March 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

Stay safe. If you're indoors most of the time, what better way to spent those time wrecking some battlemechs, right? and perhaps a live streaming in MWO while Cyclone Pam is around? provided no power and internet connection interruptions of course...

Aff.

Will do. :)

I'll make sure to stay safe and help anyone if they need it (I got quite a lot of preserved food and clean water and I lvie in an area above sea level so I am in a good position to help time and time again!)

The problem with destroying mechs is the chance of electricity going out (may not be a problem for my exact location but some people will have problems otherwise...) so yea, the expected I guess.

Also happy first post AhFendz!

#9 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 March 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

I really wonder how people can do this: living in zones where regular chance of such hurricans, taifunes, tornadoes and whatever nature has to offer can happen. Especially when the first time everythign you own is destroyed, there is hardly something left that would me make settle there again with the risk of have this happening again and possibly even dying.

So stay safe over there.

Well the thing is there is danger all over the world. New Zealand is considered Top safest (general) country on earth.
Large storms rarely happen and the Christchurch earthquakes is just a bunch of unlucky coincidences, I mean not a single shake for 60 years and then suddenly 3 seperate earthquakes break out.

However I do have to say that this isn't the most environmentally hostile country on earth. There are countries who regularly see 'twisters' every few weeks or countries where people are playing MW: O with a lava river just a KM away from them going down hill.

But to answer your question: "Why do people still live there?"

Well if your house is destroyed you may not have enough money most likely to get out of the location and if so... where to?
new Zealand isn't like USA, or Germany, or Russia.

Where if you want to go to another country you could just drive there. Here in NZ we have to fly to another country and the closest large country to us is Australia which is deemed one of the most hostile countries environmentally out there... Which is like jumping from the frying pan and into the fire.

However another point is insurance. If you got your house insured there will be a new one popping back up better then ever and possibly built the way you want, a dream house so to say. Even then people here are quite friendly, we had people giving people lifts outside of the red zone after the Ch-Ch Earthquake and also temporary accommodation camps set up in some areas.Which has large tents with beds, food, water, toilets, etc...

We just have to live our life sometimes and take it as it comes ya know?

Note: there is a chance of dying anywhere and everywhere, there is no place on earth you have no risk of it happening and sure some countries may be a bit higher then others but if you are here on this forum you are not really in one of those countries where you would be hanged for your opinions, sex, sexuality, or power. So I do not think there is much more or less chance of you dying as there is of me. (Note: I am not saying I want you dead. I wish you good health and a happy life. I am just saying that it isn't exactly that much different between you and me ^^)

#10 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 12 March 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

Well the thing is there is danger all over the world. New Zealand is considered Top safest (general) country on earth.
Large storms rarely happen and the Christchurch earthquakes is just a bunch of unlucky coincidences, I mean not a single shake for 60 years and then suddenly 3 seperate earthquakes break out.

However I do have to say that this isn't the most environmentally hostile country on earth. There are countries who regularly see 'twisters' every few weeks or countries where people are playing MW: O with a lava river just a KM away from them going down hill.

But to answer your question: "Why do people still live there?"

Well if your house is destroyed you may not have enough money most likely to get out of the location and if so... where to?
new Zealand isn't like USA, or Germany, or Russia.

Where if you want to go to another country you could just drive there. Here in NZ we have to fly to another country and the closest large country to us is Australia which is deemed one of the most hostile countries environmentally out there... Which is like jumping from the frying pan and into the fire.

However another point is insurance. If you got your house insured there will be a new one popping back up better then ever and possibly built the way you want, a dream house so to say. Even then people here are quite friendly, we had people giving people lifts outside of the red zone after the Ch-Ch Earthquake and also temporary accommodation camps set up in some areas.Which has large tents with beds, food, water, toilets, etc...

We just have to live our life sometimes and take it as it comes ya know?

Note: there is a chance of dying anywhere and everywhere, there is no place on earth you have no risk of it happening and sure some countries may be a bit higher then others but if you are here on this forum you are not really in one of those countries where you would be hanged for your opinions, sex, sexuality, or power. So I do not think there is much more or less chance of you dying as there is of me. (Note: I am not saying I want you dead. I wish you good health and a happy life. I am just saying that it isn't exactly that much different between you and me ^^)

lived in a place that had 12 typhoons a year... regularly... just that way it happens... adapt..

#11 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:43 AM

There is a mass surf exodus to follow the swells so in some ways I'm quite excited by this. As long as everyone stays safe, I'm hoping for the ride of my life!

#12 Creag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 419 posts
  • Locationadelaide Australia

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:43 AM

Keep safe, Hope doesn't play Havoc with your internet connections. See you on the Battlefield

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostSthtopokeon, on 12 March 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

....and just in case, people from `Murica are reading this: Yes, Global Warming is a myth. Increasing numbers of Cylcones are just a coincidence.

TL;DR = I think Global warming is true due to the aid of maths, statistics, and science as well as natural history
Well actually... Global warming isn't really a myth... from my opinions it is.

It has happened in the past and it will happen again, the Ice ages are also the opposite happening but the same principle (global cooling)

Being in New Zealand I can kinda see this with a better eye. Lots of Refugees from the pacific islands are leaving because there country is in a permanent flooding as the sea levels raised. hell some countries are no longer above the ocean anymore in low tide in the past decade. (Some of these countries tried sueing china and america for the majority of the CO2 that caused this, lost in all cases)

Not saying it ties to this exactly. But it isn't a myth, documentation on all the temperatures and such have shown a rise over the past few decades and some people are paying the price for it.

This is a tad off topic here and I am sorry if my opinion is contradicting your opinion.

#14 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

Pam Vs Olwyn - its all happening both sides of oz.

Posted Image

(Thanks for the sms too Pete - no internet means no pot of gold this weekend for you - be careful you true born scum :) )

#15 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 March 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

I am sorry if my opinion is contradicting your opinion.

Not sure it does. I was trying to be ironic. My excuses if I failed.

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostSthtopokeon, on 13 March 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Not sure it does. I was trying to be ironic. My excuses if I failed.

ah. my bad.

#17 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Living in South Florida, I know the drill.

Good luck to you all and hang tight.

#18 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

If you can send help to the people of Vanuatu, please do. They got stomped by Pam.

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

View Postslide, on 16 March 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

If you can send help to the people of Vanuatu, please do. They got stomped by Pam.

Already finding some easy methods of donation.

Canned food and money is on er' way.

#20 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

So....

Are our Kiwis still out there? Did you make it?

Is the Waikato Draught Brewery still operational?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users