12 replies to this topic

#1 Blair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Because I don't see a thread yet, and because I hope many of my old comrades from the GameStorm days might make there way here, I thought I should make a brief post for those of us who were part of what you could call this game's forefather, Multi-Player Battletech.

Multi-Player Battletech, or 'MPBT' was an online 'Mech simulation game developed by the Kesmai Corporation. Originally debuting on the GEnie game service, the game allowed players the opportunity to battle for control of the Inner Sphere along side their lancemates.

Eventually, a sequel to the gamewas released, titled 'MPBT: Solaris' and featured player vs. player 'mech combat on the gaming world of Solaris VII. This game was available both through AOL Games Channel, and Kesmai's own GameStorm service. While the planetary capture mode of Solaris was never released, and the full MPBT: 3025 sequel was frequently delayed, cancelled, revived and delayed again, it boasted a strong, tight-knit community of players dedicated to the enjoyment that can only be found in pouring LRMs into your best friends Atlas.

Eventually, Kesmai/GameStorm was purchased by EA, who announced that MPBT: 3025 was back on track, and an open beta emerged some months later. Fans rejoiced, as the chance to conquer the Inner Sphere in the name of their favorite house was finally at their fingertips.

Sadly, suddenly, and with little fanfare, EA ended the beta after a few short months, and stated that the game would not be fully released. Scattered to the winds, the MPBT community left their world behind. But the memories of that unique community, that one-of-a-kind experience went with them.

--

It's my hope that this game has the opportunity to recapture that spirit, and I look forward to being a part of the community that evolves here. But I do sincerely hope to see some old faces return as well.

#2 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

Hello Blair.

I dont know how many more of House Liao players from the old Genie days or MPBT3025 will arrive sooner than later, but I know of a few
that will not return.

We lost ICEFIRE a few years back. And we lost Mao Zedong a couple of years ago. I havent seen Beck or Tatsu in years.

I do talk to Blackwidow daily and am trying to get him online ! =)

Good to see ya, and stock up on some good Cognac please!

>VDB<

#3 Galaxy613

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 71 posts
  • LocationUSA, VA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

We can only move forward. I was never part of MPBT, but we have the chance to bring it's remembrance into a new decade and instill the awe of Battletech in a whole new set of players.

#4 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

When they canceled MPBT 3025 I lost all faith in EA (not that I had any to start with).

Edited by justin xiang, 01 November 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#5 Col Ender

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

When EA announced that MPBT 3025 was not going to release due lack of interest, I became furious. Since then pretty much didn't like EA, sometimes if I got a game later on I got more disappointed than before. I hate EA!! Anyways...I played MPBT: Solaris back in the overpriced AOL days lol. which of course was my first online game ever.

#6 Warzog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAboard the Wildcat's Leopard dropship: The Lair

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

Well, I played MPBT3025. I can recall numerous times where we'd be yelling at the online sysops that we were all frozen in place, couldn't move, and they'd say that everything was working fine from where they were. Only to have them admit something must be wrong if hundreds of players were complaining of the same thing.
Oh, and let's not forget the complaints of the death-leveling, win-at-all-costs, clanners, who trained each other in every exploit the game had.
Or, my favorite, that any territory won during combat, during the day, could be completely erased by a single player 'dropping' to a planet with no one to fight, over & over, during the night.
Not to mention, several non-standard mech loadouts, like the infamous medium lasered Javelin, complete with torso-twist!
MPBT3025 had many flaws, most of which were exploited to their max by the clanners. EA would've had to practically start over from scratch to fix most of them.
Even so, once you avoided the clanners, MPBT3025 was a blast to play!

#7 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I'm a veteran of all three MPBT game versions. It's not just the game; it's the community. That's what makes it live on. Now it's time for MWO to pick up the torch, and carry it into the future.

- Garg.

#8 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

On the thread below which started on October 31st you will see a lot of friends from days of ole.
http://mwomercs.com/...m-2001-players/

On Page 13 you will start to see some pictures off the good ole days.

#9 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

I started off playing MPBT Solaris On AOL, and then when it transferred to Gamestorm. I never got the chance to play the 3025 beta. But once that was all done I felt the community part of the game was lost with the mechwarrior games and I stopped playing them altogether, But I have managed to keep in touch with a couple of the people from then over the years and now with the site of this new online mech game we are regrouping back together in the hopes that this game will be able to help us build the strong community we once had then. I remember spending hours and hours praticing our formations and our tactical procedures to make the perfect kill of the enemy forces. I really enjoyed that interaction we had. and when not doing that I was dueling other mech in my little itty bitty jenner taking full advantage of its size and speed to pek away at the larger mechs armor till I could take out its engine .:) My old CO made a post on our Housesteiner forums about how I used to take out his CAT with my jenner cause I would be able to target the week spot almost every-time it was the little things like that, that made me enjoy that game so much. and Commanding a lance gave that feeling of accomplishment when you defeated a enemy team. even though it was just virtual it made you feel proud of what you and your team were able to do. I am really hoping this game game bring back that "feel"
I Salute <S> all those returning to this new online game because of all of you this game very well may bring back that feeling of fun and pride!

HardDrive [LCAF]

#10 Foggy Vulture

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationHouse Kurita

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

K-wa all
<S>
Salute from retired Chu-I <DragonMaw> *HK*
I know that we never will return to the past, but we will try hard.
:)
T-formation, aiming first mech, speed 50, on my mark...
MARK!

Edited by Foggy Vulture, 21 June 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#11 SoulScream

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

SoulScream checking in!

I played the original game, then the online version. There I joined Davion, rose through the ranks and did some time as House Leader. I beta tested Solaris and met many of the employees and players at Gencon. I hope to see some more, it has been to long!

#12 TheSmokeScreen

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 08:32 PM

I know I'm kind of late to the party with this thread.
10 freaking years that I had no idea this game existed.
Like you all I started on Genie, AOL and then finally game storm.
When GS died, so did a great community, not as strong as AOL before the charge per hour crap.
I was actually shocked to see this, last mech warrior type game was on the xbox, think it was 1 and then 2 on the xbox one
Anyways, some of you might remember my tag, I started out in Liao and moved over to Steiner, went thru the motions to earn my rank and was finally given my own district in Steiner High Command under Marlboro, anyone seen him or any of the others from the high command?. Maybe Ben Weasel? If you ever dropped with him he was a really cool cat, loved Mellissa Steiner, think he lived in Hawaii or something like that, he was a surfer. Another One was Final Rider he lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma and Dragon, think he lived in Ohio or waas living in ohio...... they were all with the 35AG same timeframe under Col. Drake.

What about the boys and girls from the FireClan? Guy that ran it was named FireBaretta and his wife, good solid people.
Honestly, I'm just tickled pink to be here, I loved this game and they have made alot of improvements.
One thing i miss are the bars in the games, COMSTAR needs to bring that back, 100%, and the raids, those were great times.

LtGen.SmokeScreen *RET*
Former Tamar District XO *RET*
Former XO-35AG-*RET* LCAF
Lochardt's Ironside's - MERC Unit CAP, CO *RET*
Currently with BWSS

Edited by TheSmokeScreen, 11 September 2022 - 08:49 PM.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 10:53 AM

i didnt start playing mw/bt until i picked up a voodoo card and the full version of mw2 came bundled with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users