Rhod 8V8 Returns

1 reply to this topic

#1 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

The return of 8v8. After the previous season of 8v8, I wasn’t sure if I was going to run it again. The EU 8v8 did not even happen, the season previous the NA 8v8 did not happen. The NA 8v8 ran into various problems, and I was waiting to see if there was much interest for the RHoD style of 8v8. I decided to just run 4v4, and so far the season has been going well, plus MRBC returned, and I knew many teams would be signing up for that, and that they would not be able to also participate in RHoD. But, I miss the 8v8 RHoD style. So it’s time to get it going again; however, some changes are needed.

First, I want to continue with the chassis limits that we are using in the 4v4 leagues. This has led to interesting strategic decisions by teams. Does it limit the full-meta, all the time mentality of RHoD? Yes. But, due to the strategic choices that take place, I do not think that it lowers the competitive nature, nor the league’s ability to facilitate the highest level of competition. The current chassis limit for 4v4 is 3, so for 8v8, we are going to up it to 6.

The next major change is the league format. Swiss pairing has problems, but it also has massive benefits. So we are going to adjust the league format based on the number of teams. Tentatively this means:
If 8-13 teams in a league, seeded swiss-pairing 8 rounds. Strength of schedule modifier. No playoffs.
If 14-20 teams in a league, form 2 seeded-based divisions (as even as possible), 6 swiss-pairing rounds using a strength of schedule modifier. Top 2 teams in each division enter a playoff.
21+ teams in a league, expand to 3 divisions, otherwise same as above.

The king of the hill style worked really well, with some few exceptions. But, I no longer feel it is necessary for 8v8. Instead, we will be using a randomly assigned game mode, with both conquest and assault being used. Thus, the weekly rounds will include tonnage/class restriction, map, and game mode.

As with the 4v4 leagues, we are going to have a head ref for the NA and EU 8v8 leagues. This will be from people who are not participating in those leagues. These people will make the decisions on any rules issues, as well as decisions on any modifications to the rules that are needed during the season. Thus, while I will handle the pencil and paper work (map draws, sorting teams, schedule making), I won’t be involved in any of the rulings that would affect match outcomes.

To Sign-Up: Send an e-mail to themagician93©gmail.com, and include Team Name, Team Leader(s), and the League(S) your team is registering for.

Timeline: Sign-ups are open until September 13th. Leagues will start on the 15th.

Draft rules: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#2 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:03 AM

Reminder: Please sign up by the 13th, by sending an e-mail to themagician93@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users