#1 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:29 AM

Hi Folks!
So after watching BlackhawkSC's vids on Battlemasters, I just picked up the current meta wubmaster BLR-2C. It just looked like too much fun to pass up. (Thanks BlackhawkSC, love the vids #subscriber) One of my favourite mechs to play is the Banshee BNC-3M and I love jamming big XL engines and lots of wubs into them. The agility of these thing just makes it 'fun' to pilot in a big nasty brawl. I heard the Battlemaster is just a ton of fun if you're just pugging - but it's also got the high mounts if you want to go full 'try-hard' mode and play at a more competitive level.

Even though there are other better mechs that are famously good at hurling SRMs (AS-7S, Griffins) I decided that I didn't want to buy 3 laser vomit BLR variants so For my 2nd variant, I grabbed the BLR-1S (the missile boat variant).

So I'm torn about which 3rd variant to get. I've been reading a lot about the BLR-1G (Currently ranked pretty high in the Tier List for what it's worth) 3Lpulse, 3 or 4 Mlas - but unfortunately only 60 degree torso twist.

So as an alternative, there is the BLR-3S, which is quirked for Medium pulse as opposed to Medium Lasers. So it has shorter range but It has the full 80 degree torso twist, better for tanking damage.

So are there any Battlemaster pilots who can tell me which one I should get? The cooler running, longer range laser vomit variant with a stiff back (1G)? Is the Mlas quirk really that good?

Or the lower range wub-brawler (3S)? Does the full 80 degree torso twist make that much of a difference in damage tanking?

Anybody have any experience with both and can share your opinion about how they perform in today's meta?

Thanks!

#2 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

I like the 1G over the 3S. The med laser quirks are great! Effective range with the module out to 351! Thats solid. You can do 3 large pulse 4 med las, with an xl375 and 22dhs. Very nasty. Or if you wanna go all med las you can squeeze a standard 375 in there. Do not ingore the Ballistic quirks of the 1G either theres lots of great builds with ac5s and layzors too. The 60 degree twist wont hurt you for twisting against damage,( you dont need to twist that far most people OVER twist). It will make you adjust for your targeting tho a little, by having to move your legs a little more. The 1G runs med pulse well too. I had my first Ace of Spades in a 1G running 6 med pulse and 1 large pulse on Polar Highlands.

#3 Tamagoci

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:52 AM

Hi there, I personally own 2C, 1G and 1S variants and find the all great. 2C is my go to assault for all occasions, while I run 1S pretty often also. 1G in neglected most of the time.

On the 1S I run LRM brawler variant with 4ML+4LRM10A. My experience for 1S has been that it isn't good a brawling with SRMs due to poor torso twist, bad pitch angles and terrible convergence. It's excellent and real fun as LRM brawler though, you get in that 300-500 range and machine gun away with LRMs. Note that direct line of sight is a must for that.

As to your question, torso twist range is a real bummer on 1G, that is why I primarily run 2C, but if you plan of using it while not closing to extreme close range, bellow 150m or so, it can do fine, on the other hand for the real close-in brawling go with 3S.

Edited by Tamagoci, 25 June 2016 - 12:54 AM.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

I recommend the 1G or 1D over the 3S.

#5 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Looks like I'll be picking up the 1G for now and just adjusting the play style so that I don't get into the heavy brawls so that the torso twist isn't so much of an issue.

And if a locust catches me alone, then I'll just shut down, qq and grab a beer from the fridge Posted Image .

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostSewman, on 25 June 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Looks like I'll be picking up the 1G for now and just adjusting the play style so that I don't get into the heavy brawls so that the torso twist isn't so much of an issue.

And if a locust catches me alone, then I'll just shut down, qq and grab a beer from the fridge Posted Image .

butt to the nearest wall ;)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users