#1 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

Many of you know me. If not, this is me...so you can weigh in on what you would do in my shoes...

I hosted the first streaming online tournament for Mechwarrior back in the 1990's. The unit I am in has been around a long time. Back in MW2, I earned the title Captain through tournament play (2v2) wins and trials of combat, that allowed me to become popular in the community and eventually create the first massive multiplayer, automated league for I think any game and it was for Mechwarrior. Recently, the unit resurged and basically were Kurita during part of phase 2 in MWO.

I play for fun, but the difference for me is that I use an offhand controller instead of the keyboard...for fun.

For a few weeks after returning from MechCon 2017, I ditched the controller and tried to ramp up a more competitive style, and I did fine...but I still find it more fun with the controller and switched back.

Because of the controller, I know that my playstyle is limited from being a top 30 player, in lights it just isn't as responsive. However, I do beat some top players in Solaris and have been ranked as high as 23 in a division, overall I am around 40th. So, I would have to give that up.

I played sports and dont like to lose, even when the odds are against me. In that way, I am competitive, but I have also run a team of over 100 players in MWO, and ran a league of 10,000 mechwarriors for 10 years...so I dont think that I am an *******...but that is what all ******** think.

Teaching and helping new players has really been my forte for the last few years, when I haven't been pulled away by work projects (programming).

You can say this is a passion for me.

What do you think...should I join up with a team and try competitive, when my best fragging days are probably behind me.

Edited by Surn, 07 June 2018 - 06:21 AM.

#2 Hayato Mori

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

I was thinking the same thing before the last MRBC season, and ultimately the near complete lack of enthusiasm for it led me to go with other options.
At the end of the day, it’s probably a bad idea to jump *onto* a sinking ship. Even before the MWOWC announcement that has everyone up in arms, participation was in decline.

#3 Jaster Me Reel

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

My answer would be: Depends. For me, I am not happy playing competitive unless A.) I am playing at the highest level I possibly can and B.) Actually playing and not sitting on the bench or being an alternative pilot. If you want to jump into the comp scene and find a team for fun and do not care as much about where you place, I would say jump right in. If you are like me and expect a lot of yourself and what you want out of comp. then I think you may struggle. It takes a lot of time and cohesive play with teammates in order to be successful. One thing a lot of lower tier teams do not understand is the shear amount of time theory crafting strats, practicing those strats and then going over constructive criticism with your peers in order to improve. This is a lot of time most casual players are not willing to commit. So, I guess I would tell you to be honest with yourself about how much time you can commit to a comp team and what expectation you have for yourself and your team before taking the dive. Hope this helps.

#4 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

Thank you for the input.

I am still torn

#5 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

I use an offhand controller, too(X52 throttle, and a trackball). I'm pretty sure we crossed paths plenty back in the day. If you wanna crew up, I'm down. I don't need to be #1, but I need it to be difficult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users