#1 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:49 AM

Pretty much works only if you have a dedicated group to play with. But, if you ever run in to a rut of losses, take out a group of Shadowhawk 2Hs, with 3 RAC 2s. They fire fast, and at a distance. You will also be running at a decent speed to catch enemies off guard.

A full example can be found here:

#2 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

I’d actually gotten a Shadowhawk at the last sale for exactly this build after seeing it on Baradul’s channel a while back, just waiting for some engine funds to play it. Looks like it was amazingly effective with a coordinated team of them, which surprised me really. That tunnel situation with the assaults was just hilarious, they didn’t know what hit them. Great video!

#3 Steel Wool Atlas

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

That was more entertaining to watch than it should've been.

I run a Victor 9S with dual RAC2s and MRMs. It's pretty satisfying to open up with the RACs and watch the enemy's health tick down.

#4 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

The Shadowhawk with 3 RACs is my Mech with the best WL ratio. :)

It is good fun to play, but if someone ever gets the wrong side torso, you are done.

#5 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

A few things of note ---
  • Played properly, you can get away with one ton less of ammo, a slightly slower engine, full Jump Jets, and an extra DHS to maintain cooling. This allows your build to run stable and be much more mobile... As opposed to requiring a constant punch while risking an overheat that would make you get stuck in one spot.
  • You're going to be forced to play in a style that conflicts with everyone trying to Nascar to the right. If they do that, you're likely to get screwed, as this Mech design REQUIRES Left-side exposure while hiding your right side. You had better hope people have the smarts to NOT do Nascar.
  • The ONLY reason the build was super-effective in the way Larsh presented it was that there were so many of it used at one time together. Even then, only because of the high coordination of their group, because they actually did the needed TeamWork to do well and survive. People say "TeamWork is OverPowered", but if PGI went and Nerfed that, it would ruin a Team-Based Game.
  • Well, in regard to that above item, there's also the fact that your opponent is getting their Cockpit rattled while you're taking ZERO recoil in firing that many RAC2's at one time. Frankly, that's become a rather major point of disbalance in Ballistics over the past 2.5 years or more, and it's likely way past time that PGI started cracking down on that. Personally, I unfortunately keep hearing complaints of how people keep getting pummeled by Ballistics and have no way to respond back because they can't line up a shot from all that rattling. Perhaps PGI needs to fix the amount of shake being done to people hit by those Ballistics?
  • Of note, without any Jump Jets when you're running Solo, it would become an automatic death trap. Oh, sure, you've got speed in that layout, but your options on where to go are annoyingly restricted. You get focused, there's no way to escape fast enough, and your XL Engine takes your whole Mech with it.
  • This Mech, with that Loadout or similar, will NOT always work for everyone. Some people just do NOT get along with Ballistics and how to use them. So when you're recommending this to anyone, take stock of their PlayStyle first if you can. I've tried the build personally, give for a few modifications that I noted above, and can say it's NOT always a Front-Line Mech... Very likely better to play as a Second-Line Flanking PlayStyle, particularly if you're running Solo.

With all of that said, I should note that I did enjoy watching the video. It did give me a few useful ideas for positioning, and a few tips on how NOT to sit. It might be rather possible to prevent heavy exposure of the whole Mech's surface, allowing for increased chances of survival. But then, isn't good positioning part of what helps achieve enjoyable gameplay? :)

EDIT :: By the way, I'm throwing a 'Like' on Larsh's post. As I said, that video is enjoyable. :P

~Mr. D. V. "There's my analysis for you. I hope you enjoyed the read." Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 11 October 2018 - 10:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users