3 replies to this topic

#1 Seffi

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:50 AM

I finally returned to MWO after a long break around the time Phoenix mechs were released and I've been having a lot of fun and solid performance with this build. I prefer faster meds over larger weps. I was wondering if anyone else had some solid ARES builds.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...1412bff8607f8f6

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:57 AM

Hmm well not a griffin pilot but thats not far removed from my kintaro so how about:
ARES

It drops a heatsink, AMS, changes to LIGHT FF armor and ENDO chassy to allow the exchange of a 310LE instead of the 320 XL,edited to reflect the Light FF and -1 jump jet to fix the 'skipped leg day' issue and shore up the CT as well.

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 07 November 2018 - 08:03 AM.

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

My own preference would be to dump the streaks, because they're really only effective against lights- especially with only two launchers, you could spend half your ammo sandblasting a medium or heavy with those and it'll just laugh off the damage. Having lasers to focus weak points with mitigates the streak scatter somewhat, but not well enough to make the build competitive with other 'Mechs of the same or greater tonnage. It just hasn't got the tube count to overcome the limitations of the weapon system. Plus, IS streaks are way too heavy- you can bring a pair of Artemis SRM6s for a full ton less, gain better damage focus, and more sustain with some extra ammo- and that's just the launcher cost, since with locking weapons you need to be carrying BAP or TAG as well. It's a lot of tonnage invested for a weapon that, in the end, delivers less of a punch and more of a wet noodle slap.

Here's what I'd do with the same general concept. Or, if you want to go for tankiness over speed, this. You could also run a big MRM launcher instead, for a bit of range; the GRF's shoulder launchers are great for poptarting with. A much smaller engine is necessary to run things like dual MRM30, but that's possible too (just take care to protect your launcher side to avoid stickification).

#4 Seffi

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill deff. try normal SRMs over the streaks. The streaks seemed to be nice against lights that I had a hard time keeping in sights long enough to get reliable ML dmg on. The MRMs are interesting and another thing Ill try. I find my self flanking in, hitting then darting back out so maybe the range will give me a bit more to do while the PPC Gauss showdown is going on at teh start of most matches.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users