#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

I think it's called the saddle, anyway. You know that big parking lot type area with two levels? The tunnel goes into the lower level. It's pretty central to most main battles.

Well, I was playing a mech with LRM's recently and found that I couldn't perform line-of-sight low-trajectory shots against enemies in the lower level from outside. It was as if the second level didn't count as overhead cover. My LRM's instead flew in the high-trajectory not line-of-sight pattern, striking the upper level instead.

#2 Chris Lowrey

Design Consultant

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:38 AM

Will need a bit more information to investigate.

So you are attempting to target an enemy on the lower level of the Docks while he is under cover and it is not using the LOS trajectory? Can you elaborate on what 'Mech you were using, what position you were firing from, and where specifically was your target located at? (Closer to the tunnel, Closer to the train house on the other side, Closer to the central ramp?)

Please note that LOS is determined at the time you fire the weapon, If the opponent was behind a pillar or another 'Mech was obstructing your view of the target, there is a chance that he would have been considered not in LOS, and there for, the system would use the indirect trajectory. In order to be considered in LOS of the target, the target cannot be obstructed by any solid terrain (anything that would block direct weapon fire,) or another 'Mech.

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

View PostChris Lowrey, on 22 April 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

Please note that LOS is determined at the time you fire the weapon, If the opponent was behind a pillar or another 'Mech was obstructing your view of the target, there is a chance that he would have been considered not in LOS, and there for, the system would use the indirect trajectory. In order to be considered in LOS of the target, the target cannot be obstructed by any solid terrain (anything that would block direct weapon fire,) or another 'Mech.

A question I have not related to the OP's problem, but something I've noticed myself when I "jump-LRM" since the new patch:
How does the direct/indirect missile lock times work? When does it decide to go from one lock time to the next?

I ask this as I've had issues with starting to get a lock indirectly, get direct line of sight on a target and still having to wait the extra long times for the indirect locking times. It's been particularly noticeable with my LRM Huntsman I tend to use, and sometimes I've been unable to get a missile lock at all for the duration of my entire jump time, despite gaining direct line of sight. I'm often times able to completely clear the obsticle, fire my entire duration of CERMLs into a target, and still not have a missile lock until I've dropped back into cover.

Yet, if I purposefully don't try to attempt a missile lock until I've clear the terrain by my jump and then try for that lock with direct line of sight only (while I'm shooting my CERMLs at the target), I'll get the lock most times before my CERMLs have even finished their burn, which is much faster than the previous mentioned version.

Shouldn't it recalculate the lock times once I achieve line of sight? Or does it lock that missile lock times solely upon when you started the lock (started indirect line of sight vs started direct line of side)?

#4 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

View PostChris Lowrey, on 22 April 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

Will need a bit more information to investigate.

So you are attempting to target an enemy on the lower level of the Docks while he is under cover and it is not using the LOS trajectory? Can you elaborate on what 'Mech you were using, what position you were firing from, and where specifically was your target located at? (Closer to the tunnel, Closer to the train house on the other side, Closer to the central ramp?)

I was using a Scorch with 2 LRM15's (with Artemis) and UAC's. My enemies were in the lower level of the docks maybe 100 meters from the tunnel. I was firing from the right side (facing that position) of the onramp to the top between the "3"-shaped building and the water. They were under the cover of the upper level. I was under open sky. I did have LOS, got my locks, and was firing, expecting the missiles to fly low toward my enemies through the considerable gaps, but instead, they launched high into the air to take the not-LOS trajectory and ended up splashing on the upper level. The enemy did have the ability to take cover behind the various pillars (I think there are pillars?), but I waited until I had clear LOS to fire in order to use the new trajectory.

#5 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:59 AM

Just allow players to choose their own LRM arc, or simply remove the low arc : 80% of the time the low arc performs same or much worse then the high arc. When I use LRMs I keep going out of my way to prevent it from kicking in.

If you want to boost direct fire LRMs you can increase their speed or health instead, but leave the high arc alone.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:25 PM

I've also had issues tonight where I noticed my LRMs were shooting with direct fire arcs when I had indirect line of sight, sending several volleys into the dirt before it adjusted. These shots where all done indirectly with no line of sight, some of them where done with my own UAV.

I was in a Hunchback 4J, two LRM10s (no Artemis) on the new map. It was consistent enough that I really noticed many volleys dump into the ground.

I'm wondering if it's related to the use of UAVs, because that's more so when I noticed it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users