Even The Forums Seem To Be Dying

62 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

Maintenance mode is definitely engaged...
Quick play games are just stomps nearly every time.
"Tier 1" players doing the most ridiculous things I've ever seen
Let me count the ways the "maintenance mode" has affected the game
Help me out, just for kicks

#2 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

aww cmon, QP games have always been stomps

#3 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Yeah but lately it's been noticeably worse. You saying you haven't noticed a difference lately???

#4 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 15 October 2019 - 02:03 PM.
discussing moderation, replies removed

#5 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

I don't think it's any worse than say, a year ago

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Players with an avg 171 to 200 MS are moving up into Tier 1 (aka lvl 100) The MM works with what Tier a player is in, nothing more, nothing less. Even if it has to open up the MM, the MM is NOT looking for avg MS (matchscore), only the tier a player is in.

The other side of the coin is the lack of consistent direction/leadership each game. The side which actually communicate and work together the most will generally win.

AND there is no decaying in the Tiers. A Tier 1 player w/avg 180 who does not play for several months comes back, they are still listed a a Tier 1 player, no decay.

Now if the MM utilized the avg MS of the last 300-500 games in Tier 1-3 and seeded drops that way... it would not really change anything. With no-respawn in QP, the team which uses a few mechs early will tend to have a difficult time recovering, ESPECIALLY if there is no actual communication/teamplay.

As for the forums... /shrugs...

Edit -- OP, what is your concern? You do not always play many games per month, and this and last month you definitely have more wins than loses. You can not win them all but 12-4 this month so far.. and 10-4 last month....???

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 October 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#7 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

View PostBlaizerP, on 14 October 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

I don't think it's any worse than say, a year ago

The game is definitely worse than a year ago, it is quite common now to be down 3-4 mechs 1 minute into the game. I don't understand how people die so easily.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 October 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

The game is definitely worse than a year ago, it is quite common now to be down 3-4 mechs 1 minute into the game. I don't understand how people die so easily.

Tiers is still an experience bar when doing just the BARE minimum.. Wisdom and actual skill not included... :)

#9 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

But then there are still people who are career lower tiers.. so explain that lol.

Edit; also some people that don't believe a cadet can be tier 3 without "special bonuses."

Edited by Prototelis, 14 October 2019 - 02:33 PM.

#10 Apache1990

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

Wasn't tier based MM disabled now anyway for solo QP?

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

View PostApache1990, on 14 October 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Wasn't tier based MM disabled now anyway for solo QP?

No, not according to the stickied post in this section of the forums.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 October 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

But then there are still people who are career lower tiers.. so explain that lol.

Edit; also some people that don't believe a cadet can be tier 3 without "special bonuses."

The career lower tiered players are not even hitting the bare minimum on the PSR range. ie, they are doing very little damage before dying. A player with an avg 171 MS has played over 28K games was Tier 1 in September. Since then he has been running an avg 166 MS for Sept and currently avg 157 MS for Oct with about 200 games between the two, which has dropped him to Tier 2. And said player pilots primarily heavies and assaults.

That he is persistent and not given up, always being thrown into matches with players who generate 2-3x his avg MS... Others would simply give up at that point after being pounded into the dirt over and over again (retention problems). Mind you, there will be those player who do quite well but the lopsided play due to how players are selected, even on a stomp, can also get old, lack of a challenge. More so for those players who enjoy FP and group up but no challenge. It would be akin to constantly raiding a lower level or several expansion old raids, no challenge, nor will the mains be able to utilize the gear.

/shrugs.. even for myself. I like MWO, the basic setup, nor do I play any other games consistently but even MWO I have decreased my playtime (main and 1 alt). I like HBS Battletech, but for myself it does not come close to MWO baseline.

There are a few things I would change though. isXL surviving 1st ST loss (since no actually engine crit flowthru), the current MM/PSR setup (changing PSR thresholds by 25-50pts and using avg MS across Tier sets), ability to elevate upper arms (one at a time) primarily on humanoid mechs, slight increase on JJ thrust/height, esp for heavy/assault class JJ.

#13 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

I would not change IS XL death, and instead buff IS XL with Re-sync.

#14 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

I don't have time for fw/cw/fp ow whatever you call it. Qp is just for lols and with all the nascar and ecm quite boring. I rarely use any lrms and just do troll builds. When the forum for a game becomes funner than the game you go find other games.

But there's hope as I've made this video of what to expect for mwo after mw 5 releases.https://youtu.be/qbGV4n6Ibjg

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 October 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

I would not change IS XL death, and instead buff IS XL with Re-sync.

is xls should come with an intrinsic mobility quirk. standard engine should come with survivability quirk.

#16 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

Uhm, standard engines already provide greater survivability 4head.

#17 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

3 or 4 months before we start making post about scheduled times to play.

Posted Image

Edited by Monkey Lover, 14 October 2019 - 06:23 PM.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

Yeah it's so bad I haven't even played a match in SoloQ for 3 or so months. It's just divulged into the silliest of play and behaviour.

Done plenty of FP some GroupQ - Ain't no silly behaviour there, generally.

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

I don't understand how people die so easily.

Impatience, that's why. Now, I'm not saying that I survive and do a lot of good but I don't end up dying the moment the enemies look at me. I was in a match last night in QP on the Frozen City map. It was a slow start and people were getting the urge to run into the low ground. I told them to be patient and not to peek if they don't have the range and everybody except a Hellbringer and some other mech decided not to and went straight over to the enemy base and died. Meanwhile, I told my teammates to that the enemies were entrenched and we need to be patient and stay together in E7. A few minutes later, the enemies came at us from G6 one-by-one and we won the match 12-6.

That repeats itself over and over except that patience and the need to fire back at the enemies at opportune moments doesn't register. Instead, there's this urge to flank the enemies without even knowing where they are or even bothering to check the mini-map and they die right at the start. It doesn't get better in the middle of the fight either where people run away and give up a good position where enemies will get bottlenecked trying to find an angle on us, for this need to flank.

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:51 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 14 October 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Impatience, that's why...

Also, I think the population has been reduced to being mostly a concentration of extremely bad/mediocre players and extremely good players, while the casual players of all skill levels have fled. Both extremes of the skill curve have always tended to be the most dedicated in terms of financial and/or emotional investment in the game, and its these folks who are sticking around until the end. As the middle has fled, we are left with these extremes, and given the nature of the match maker, frustration abounds as neither group can get a match to play as or with whom they would like.

When we had a more diverse population a typical game was a murder ball, or firing line, or even NASCAR, based game with 1-2 schmucks running off and doing something stupid in terms of positioning or being impatient, etc. Whereas now it seems like often half the team, or even more doing something ill advised. Waiting to see where the herd runs (often everywhere) or what the lone recognized good player will do doesn't help either.

Edited by Bud Crue, 15 October 2019 - 03:54 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users