New Machine Fps Problems

5 replies to this topic

#1 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:06 PM

First off I find myself in disbelief, I upgraded my machine from an Old Alienware Laptop what had a old gen i7 - 16GB - 650m geforce graphics card that machine had problems with fps as well from time to time ran the game at least 60ish on some maps but dropped to 40fps but at least it was steady. At the time I was told that's what I got for getting a Laptop for gaming.

Well my new machine has a i7 9700 - 16GB - RTX 2060. - And is a Desktop

I am no tech wizard But I find it odd that the game at one moment hits over 100fps but once a fight starts it drops to 22! at times, after playing around with settings, everything set to low made sure power was set to high, Graphics drivers up to date, went into Nvidia Control Panel set to Performance. Ran the game in window mode no difference, Machine isn't running hot no dust as it is New.

Attempted trying out that V-sync thing but I think it made it worse.

Other Games fallout 4, Witcher 3 you new it I run everything at Max MechWarrior Online is the only Game I have ever had Problems with.

Has anyone else had these problems like me? I mean how old is this Game now? Sorry for the Rant any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks to anyone reading.

Edited by Davy J0nes, 17 November 2019 - 06:09 PM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Just to reiterate somethings.

System Power Options - High Performance
Nvidia Control Panel - Power management mode - set to Max Performance (what other settings are being pushed via Nvidia?)

i7 9700, just to confirm, this is not the K version, correct?
Base Frequency - 3000 MHz
Maximum turbo frequency 4700 MHz

Turbo Boost is the layman's overclock, meant to be temporary, not continuously overclocking/permanent setting for the CPU. Turboboost generates OC primarily by increasing the base frequency/frontside bus/BLCK frequency and not by actual clock multiplier.

And low end boards will not even allow a user to manually make any adjustments to BLCK, but if your motherboard is a higher end you may be able to set the BLCK frequency to approach at least 4.0ghz.

Turboboost increases the power to fewer and fewer cores as it attempts to run at higher speeds. Not the over all core temp, but when single core temp receives critical thresholds the system will automatically DROP everything to below baseline to allow power to that core, allowing it to cool down.

1. Setup a user.cfg file to lock the FPS down to 60 or so.

#3 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

Hello Tarl and thanks for the input.

The I7 is not the K version that is correct my B360 motherboard does not support overclocking, but its still better then the older I7 I was running on my old laptop. I think that was 2.4/2.7 ghz? or something.

So I don't understand why this newer machine what isn't a laptop is running the game worse then my ancient laptop.

Here is a more detailed info I could find on my pc.

( 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9700 Processor (3.0GHz, up to 4.70GHz with Turbo Boost, 12MB Cache)
Hard Drive 1TB 7200 RPM+512GB PCIe SSD
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

In Control Panel power settings currently set to High Performance is this Turboboost ?

In Nvidia Control Panel card is set to Performance and my Screen a Dell D2719HGF is connected to PhysX whatever that is I also have a drawing tablet connected but is off.

Noting Big running in the background besides Steam and AVG

I do not know how to setup a user.cfg file I will try googling that so.
Thanks again for your input.

Edited by Davy J0nes, 17 November 2019 - 10:29 PM.

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:12 AM

Get MSI Afterburner. Configure the overlay and make sure to include CPU load, GPU load, RAM usage, VRAM usage and temperatures. See where the bottleneck is when you start dropping frames.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:30 AM

Control Panel, High Performance helps ensure that cores are not constantly being parked and cpu/system being throttled to reduce power being used.

On MWO settings turn off AA. Many attempt to utilize game settings that they use for other games but said settings definitely do not work for MWO. It runs on a heavily modified Cryengine 3, and it enjoys the higher CPU speeds, provided it is consistent.

Create a user.cfg and place it in your MWO folder and have the following line in it. Adjust it as needed.
sys_MaxFPS = 60

You can get some control over turbo boost but would suggest going with the user.cfg first and adjusting your game settings.

https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/

#6 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

Just did a Quick test in a random match in polar highlands pc stayed at 60fps soild I will now attempt to set graphics up high.

Thanks for the help Tarl! the game is actually playable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users