17 replies to this topic

#1 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

Crazy.

Posted Image

Took 3 tries, cost 10 million in repairs afterwards...

I burned through 7 tons of ammo before using the first repair bay, tried to tank most of the damage so my guys didn't die. I'd frequently just send my whole team to a corner to hide while I took down the easier waves and only bring them up when the waves got close. Still lost an arm just before the last wave hit and repair bays don't re-attach arms.

That last wave was crazy, turns out repair bays are bullet proof. Good thing. I basically had to hide in it and take out the last wave (mostly) by myself as they came into view.

LBX-10 Solid is an awesome weapon system, especially 4 of them. Posted Image

BTW there is a Cataphract that can mount 3 LBX-10S with 4 tons of ammo and just enough armor. 4 tons is enough for most missions if you conserve ammo and take good shots.

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:42 AM

In that last mission I had 3 Annis with me and the Nightstar myself. I positioned the Annies just a little bit away from the ramps up so they could only be hit by someone standing near the upper end of the ramp. Enemys would come one by one up the ramp and the 3 Annies killed them like flys. That went pretty well until the last wave but I managed to stand beside my dropship until the time ran out.

I think its still one of the more interesting missions as you actualy could use some taktiks with the chokepoints and the repair bay.

#3 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:20 AM

That last mission was fun. I was in a Stalker with 2xLRM15, 2xLRM10, 4xMls, then for the AI's an Atlas RS w/ 2xPPC, LBX10SLD, SRMs, and Atlas D with AC/20, MLS, and LRMw/Artimis, and the Night Star (basicallt stock).

I got through it first try with the whole lance alive and intact, except for me, the second to last wave got one torse side in my stalker, the start of the last wave got the other side. I finished as a weaponless red stick.

#4 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

I rolled that mission with 2 Raven Heros, 1 Cicada and an Archer packed with LRMs and Ammo. All to easy...

#5 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:15 PM

Yeah that one was a blast. I went in piloting a damaged Awesome alongside a damaged Battlemaster and Highlander and shadowhawk who I'd not used for the past four missions. Destroyed so much lost tech that fight, but, even though my Highlander was just cherry red head, CT and one leg at the end, I lost no mechs!

I mean, on the run through I survived. I too had to do it a few times. Worst was I'd done a better run earlier with seven headshots throughout that left my allies in much better repair, but hadn't know I'd hafta leg it to get out and got dropped en route.

But yeah, it's a crazy one alright.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 January 2020 - 01:10 PM.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:01 AM

I was in the Gauss+ PPC Nightstar, my lance consisted of a Gauss + PPC King Crab and two brawling Atlas (AC20 + SRM6s + MLs)

I finished it first try without losing any mechs. I did use the repair bay twice and positioned my lance-mates always in the middle of the terraces and waited for the enemies to come to us. I then peaked from the edge and shot them dead, most from a headshot.

The last wave, when the Union dropships came, I moved to the last terrace near our Leopard and waited. The enemies came to us when there was only about 2 minutes left. Killed a few and ran to the dropship.

#7 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:56 AM

It was fun and nerve-wracking at the same time! I was playing as self-imposed iron-man and had not yet died or failed a story mission... so needless to say there were a few tense moments near the end.

Me with a Nightstar Dual Gauss/PPC; lancemates in Dual Guass/PPC King Crab, 2x Atlases SRM4/AC10/ML combos (I think one was the Boars Head).

One lancemate destroyed, pilot survived. My mech was rough but all weapons still on it. King Crab lancemate was critical but alive; he pulled over 2,500 damage which nearly put me to shame.

I still have to have a chat with Ryana about constantly trying to get me killed. And getting the weapons on this Leopard working. Clean the windows too... seriously I've seen this dropship parked right next to an enemy lance lying in wait to ambush me. A little heads up would have been nice.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:29 AM

View PostFlyby215, on 15 January 2020 - 01:56 AM, said:

I still have to have a chat with Ryana about constantly trying to get me killed. And getting the weapons on this Leopard working. Clean the windows too... seriously I've seen this dropship parked right next to an enemy lance lying in wait to ambush me. A little heads up would have been nice.

Fahad was right then. All those good-for-nothings in their combat armour and helmet just standing around... I mean, they could've manned the weapons on the Leopard and launched some LRMs at least until the enemies got too close. Unless, Ryana took all of them with her and left no one inside the Leopard which would be shocking.

#9 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:04 AM

Was an interesting mission, but a really easy one if you just use the ramps as chokepoints and delete the enemies 1 by 1 as they come up to you. One of my AI’s lost a ST and that was the only real damage done to us, so it wasn’t too costly. One mission where actual tactics rules the day.

#10 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:15 AM

Tried and failed twice in my Anni (although deleting mechs was fun) so tried a third time rebuilt my three atlas's as brawlers and took the Nightstar. Then just as i was told to get to the dropship one of my atlas's decided to do an MWO derp and dither about in front of me meaning i lost the right side as i had to get round the DERP.

Edited by mad kat, 23 January 2020 - 01:24 AM.

#11 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:49 AM

I finished it with 4 King Crabs equipped with 2xGauss+ERPPC, and by headshotting ALOT.

I removed a whole heavy lance just by headshots. And even with all this, I was still cherry red by the time Ryana gets back to the dropship, and then there is this delay of a few seconds between that and ending the mission, and I took one hit and died.

Then I had to try again, and ended up in great condition by the end, but lost 2 mechs, and my best pilot died. But I chose to let it be, I can get/train more pilots in the after-game..

All in all i absolutely LOVED the mission, Loved the game and the story, and I just can't wait for the expansion.

This game deserves a full-on expansion pack, not just a quick DLC but another full story-rich campaign.

Make it happen PGI.

If you make it, I will most certainly buy it.

#12 Planedev

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:36 AM

I tried this missions a few times, even after completing it, the 1st time I completed it, I lost my best pilot in an atlas brawler and my nightstar lost its LT. 2nd time I completed it, I took a stalker with 6 ML and 4 srm6 and won that with armour at red no damage to internals and only one of my squad’s atlas lost a LT, the other 2 atlas not much damage.
Love this mission, though I wish I could command my lance to repair their mechs, also I did notice the leopard firing its LRMs at the enemy too in this fight as non of my mechs had them and was wondering where those were coming from, and on one occasion, I looked up and saw it coming from one of the turrets.

#13 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:58 AM

I did this mission with a Nightstar, Stalker, Heavy Metal and Atlas. The key is to make use of the cover so that you can focus fire.

View PostNesutizale, on 14 January 2020 - 02:42 AM, said:

I think its still one of the more interesting missions as you actualy could use some taktiks with the chokepoints and the repair bay.

Yep. It's a pity all the other missions leading up to it are of the 'death by the zerging of a thousand paper cuts'.

#14 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:35 AM

View PostPlanedev, on 23 January 2020 - 05:36 AM, said:

I tried this missions a few times, even after completing it, the 1st time I completed it, I lost my best pilot in an atlas brawler and my nightstar lost its LT. 2nd time I completed it, I took a stalker with 6 ML and 4 srm6 and won that with armour at red no damage to internals and only one of my squad’s atlas lost a LT, the other 2 atlas not much damage.
Love this mission, though I wish I could command my lance to repair their mechs, also I did notice the leopard firing its LRMs at the enemy too in this fight as non of my mechs had them and was wondering where those were coming from, and on one occasion, I looked up and saw it coming from one of the turrets.

Yep there have been a few missions where the dropship has put down 'covering fire' but no where near the 7ml, 5ll, 3xlrm20 and two PPC's worth that they come with........ And two aerospace fighters too at full compliment. That would of been nice.

Be awesome if someone did a mod where you could call in close air support and have the Leopard A10 Warthog the proverbial out of an enemy emplacement. Maybe for a sizeable C-bill cost.

Edited by mad kat, 23 January 2020 - 06:38 AM.

#15 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:20 AM

View Postmad kat, on 23 January 2020 - 06:35 AM, said:

Yep there have been a few missions where the dropship has put down 'covering fire' but no where near the 7ml, 5ll, 3xlrm20 and two PPC's worth that they come with........ And two aerospace fighters too at full compliment. That would of been nice.

Be awesome if someone did a mod where you could call in close air support and have the Leopard A10 Warthog the proverbial out of an enemy emplacement. Maybe for a sizeable C-bill cost.

Just a little nitpick: While the Leopard _does_ have all those weapons, they are facing several directions.
Facing forward, mounted in the bow, are 2 PPCs, an LRM-20 and 3 medium lasers
In each wing, facing forward-right and forward-left, respectively, are one LRM-20, 2 large and one medium lasers each
facing to the rear, are a single large laser and 2 medium lasers.

IIRC, the Leopard is sitting in this mission side-on, so it could "realistically" only bring a single LRM-20, two large and one medium lasers to bear.
Now if it would be sitting bow-on, 3 x LRM-20, 2 PPCs, 4 Large and 5 Medium Lasers could provide a _ton_ of fire-support - and of course, all of this would also come into play in a strafing run Posted Image

Not sure I'd like to risk my ride home for such a thing, though - drop-ships in atmosphere are kinda vulnerable (well, in TT at least)

#16 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

Wasn't it also the rule that Dropships can't fire while landed?

#17 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

but, I thought, rules are meant to be broken ?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

when I did the mission, one of the enemy mechs were stuck at it's drop at the bottom, had lance hold up top, while I went to look for it, found it, killed it, then that last wave drops between me and my lance, well more like on me, I did make it back to the top before the enemy, but I lost the advantage I should have had, being able to shoot the enemy before they reached the ramp . .. they were on the ramp by the time I made it back to the top.
the damage I took trying to get back was a lot, I used the dropship as cover, my lance still had lots of armor, Typical though, Lance always hiding in the back like some QP pug match, then crying for help once they're spotted and shot at.

did lose a pilot, the one in the Boars head, have many skill 60 pilots, so didn't bother redoing the mission, just to keep that pilot

#18 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:07 PM

Ahh yes , this was the only mission worth to remember and worth to play again and with different drop decks.
Sadly it’s rare like snowflakes in August.
But it took me several attempts to find the trigger to finish it.

Edited by Mumuharra, 24 January 2020 - 01:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users