Paradox Interactive Cancels Unannounced Games

5 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

Quote from the Article:
Paradox Interactive has just announced that they would be canceling several unannounced games, which will affect their Q3 2021 profits by about 15.4 million USD. The reason for the cancellation was that they want to focus on "proven game niches and projects that better meet the company’s requirements on returns and risk."

Paradox Interactive Cancels Unannounced Games | TechRaptor

I wonder if this affects HBS and the chances of a Battletech successor...

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 October 2021 - 05:11 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:22 AM

Hope not. Battletech is kinda the jewel in the crown of not only Harebrained but the whole Battletech IP. An executive that makes that kind of cancellation does not know his or her products.

#3 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:43 AM

Let us hope that Paradox Interactive does not do anything bad to HBS's BattleTech game. As of current, the Wikipedia page for that one currently does not have any kind of visible indication that it ever reached the Linux player audience that it was slated to be made for. As of when I am posting this, no known BTU-based ("BattleTech Universe") games appear to currently work on Linux systems. This means that anyone who moves to Linux for any reason becomes effectively cut off from BTU in entirety. That really has been a major shame for BTU up to now, and one which I was really wishing would finally be ended by something making it across the Operating System gap at last. It sure would have opened the door for MechWarrior games having the chance to finally start getting across the gap as well. :(

~D. V. "would hate to leave BTU ("BattleTech Universe") behind due to being dragged to the Linux ecosystem" Devnull

#4 Noishkel Hauptman

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:35 AM

Ehh, as far as I know HBS doesn't have any more Battletech games in the pipe-line anyway. So I don't know if these are being affected by decision. Last I heard from HBS they had some project in the background that was neither Battletech or Shadowrun related. So I suppose there is a chance that might be affected.

That said... I have to say that I personally don't like Paradox Interactive as a company. I really dislike that attendance for some game makers to try and break their products into tiny little bite-sized DLC.

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:58 PM

BT does not even work with this Linux Windows Emulators or something alike?

Win11 made me really think to test Linux out but gaming is a necessity that it has to offer...

...and now Win11 is installed on my PC so that "Linux" window is shut til Win12.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:28 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 16 October 2021 - 05:58 PM, said:

BT does not even work with this Linux Windows Emulators or something alike?

Win11 made me really think to test Linux out but gaming is a necessity that it has to offer...

...and now Win11 is installed on my PC so that "Linux" window is shut til Win12.

It appears that I may need to quote-unquote "eat my own words" for once. I did some extra digging, and it appears that HBS's "BattleTech" did indeed get a Linux-native version via Steam to play. (Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to put that to the test here... But, it does appear there may be proverbial "egg on my face" in this situation.) So it does seem for now that the potential of a bridge to Linux is beginning to open up. Now if only MW5 and MWO would bridge the gap....... :mellow:

~D. V. "finding something about HBS's 'BattleTech' which they did not know existed" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users