Any old Battletech MUD players out there?

125 replies to this topic

#1 Tam Wolfcry

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 76 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

***** Howdy,

I used to run with House Kurita during the early '90s on a Btech mud called 3026 I believe. I think that was the right date as there was no clan stuff yet. Anyways, looking to see if there are any other old timers out there.

***** Tam

#2 Takashi Fuchida

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Misssouri

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

I have played all the variations of the BTech muds since the 90's myself.
My Callsign/Name has always been Takashi Fuchida, unless i was in a clan then it was dependant on base bloodname for the lastname etc "Takashi Ward"

#3 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I played there a little back in the old days, back when telnet was hot technology

#4 Tibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

i played all old fasa battletech and mechwarrior in 80s and all the computer games to and mud game.. love that stuff still have some old fasa stuff here )

#5 Alexandr Britten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown, PA - USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I played a bunch of different BTech MU's/MOO's in the 90's in college and some after 1996. Usually went by Alexandr Britten (MRX)... played Clan Nova Cat on BTech 3056. I played a bunch of other names after college, but usually used the alias MRX. I wish I could find others who played those early telnet text games. nimrod, Darkhosis, gigglecow... where are you?

#6 Kosuke Fujishima

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

I played a ton of MUSE btech back in the day. 3056 I was CJF.

But realspace was fun too. 3025, 3026, 3030... played Kurita in all of those.

#7 Sten Yorgenson

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

I played in '56 and '28. Kurita in 28 and CSV in '56. Best memory was winning a bloodname in '56. TT i was always Kurita. Hopefully we can get faction specific mech varients here.

#8 Jefferson Caird

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

I used to play most of the old MUX's. Went by the name "Ashe" or "Fey" usually. Got away from it after I joined the Navy, hard to play underway after all, and just recently found out all the old MUX's are gone.

#9 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Played all of them. I was either Joseph Clavell (JCL) or Joseph Bekker (JOB) in all.

#10 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostAlexandr Britten, on 17 November 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

I played a bunch of different BTech MU's/MOO's in the 90's in college and some after 1996. Usually went by Alexandr Britten (MRX)... played Clan Nova Cat on BTech 3056. I played a bunch of other names after college, but usually used the alias MRX. I wish I could find others who played those early telnet text games. nimrod, Darkhosis, gigglecow... where are you?

Hmm Darkhosis? Did you also play genocide?

#11 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

I played all the 302# Muxs, along with whatever that future-space one they came up with later where you were based on a dropship. DCMS for all the 302# ones. I ran under Demetrious Opat till I got screwed in some 3-way fight where FC and CC both dropped on top of us into some nasty 3-way and I took an AC20 round to the head. I forgot who I came back as name wise. I got swapped between a wasp and a hunchback depending on the mission. I was told we had unlimited hunchbacks in storage, so nobody cared ;)

I still think the 302# games were some of the best online gaming I've ever had. There was commraderie, and story, and actual consequences to your moves. Not just spawn, shoot some people, die, and spawn again.

#12 Blacke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts
  • Location3rd Takata Lancers

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

I used to play and program on the MUSE project back in 93 to 95. Mainly was working on Solaris.

#13 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

I used to play on both 3056 and 3034: Battle for Bryant. I used to be:

Sho-ko Retsudo Kagei
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk pilot
3rd Proserpina Hussars, Nightmare Brigade, Recon Lance
House Kurita
BattleTech 3034: The Battle for Bryant

And before that

Tai-sa Ishido Kagei
ON1-K Orion pilot
CO: 1st Genyosha
House Kurita
BattleTech 3056 MUSE

Those were fun times and some amazingly sophisticated and complex games considering they were entirely text based. I'll never cease to be utterly amazed at what the coders of those games managed to create without getting a single cent for their efforts. All because they loved Battletech (and MU* coding too, I suppose :D ).

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 29 March 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#14 GoGo Yubari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

Haha those were some good times! Happy to see folks from those days here. I was Ragnar (Magnusson) at '56 as well as holding a Newbiehelper bit. Loved me my Warhawk. Only dabbled in other incarnations, though.

I think I remember you by name at least, Britten!

Edited by gogo yubari, 04 April 2012 - 02:18 AM.

#15 Alexandr Britten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 29 March 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

I used to play on both 3056 and 3034: Battle for Bryant. I used to be:

Sho-ko Retsudo Kagei
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk pilot
3rd Proserpina Hussars, Nightmare Brigade, Recon Lance
House Kurita
BattleTech 3034: The Battle for Bryant

And before that

Tai-sa Ishido Kagei
ON1-K Orion pilot
CO: 1st Genyosha
House Kurita
BattleTech 3056 MUSE

Those were fun times and some amazingly sophisticated and complex games considering they were entirely text based. I'll never cease to be utterly amazed at what the coders of those games managed to create without getting a single cent for their efforts. All because they loved Battletech (and MU* coding too, I suppose :mellow: ).

I have to believe at some point I talked to you on the admin (not IT admin, but faction admin) channels... your name definitely sounds familiar. I was Alexandr Britten (I think I was 2nd/3rd in command because Biccon Winters and Severen Leroux weren't always around) in Clan Nova Cat on 3056.

#16 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, I do remember the name Alexandr Britten, so I believe you're right. We probably did talk at some point. Heck, we probably blew eachother up in the sims at some point as well. :)

Man, the more I think about it the more my admiration for the people who designed the MU* mech sim system grows. It was definitely ahead of its time, Realtime based textbased mech combat with parabolic jump arcs and everything. Awesome stuff. I also credit the BT MU*s with my typing speed. I'd never have learned to type as fast as I do if I wasn't forced to do so by having to constantly type in commands to control the mech, scan for enemies, check the terrain, give orders to/communicate with my unit and so forth. :angry:

#17 Alexandr Britten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 06 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Yeah, I do remember the name Alexandr Britten, so I believe you're right. We probably did talk at some point. Heck, we probably blew eachother up in the sims at some point as well. Posted Image

Man, the more I think about it the more my admiration for the people who designed the MU* mech sim system grows. It was definitely ahead of its time, Realtime based textbased mech combat with parabolic jump arcs and everything. Awesome stuff. I also credit the BT MU*s with my typing speed. I'd never have learned to type as fast as I do if I wasn't forced to do so by having to constantly type in commands to control the mech, scan for enemies, check the terrain, give orders to/communicate with my unit and so forth. Posted Image

Same here, on the typing speed... even though we were mostly typing .c or .f .ff .fffffffffffff! (anyone who played a BTech MU remembers the macro systems)

In my last job, I sometimes had to type while I was talking to people on the phone. I had multiple people ask, "Is that you typing?" Yes... "How do you type so fast?" I never told them how I got so fast, they wouldn't understand. :blink:

I took a typing test and I think I typed 80 wpm with 100% accuracy. I'll have to check again just to make sure. Of course, that also meant that one of the guys I supervised constantly told me its a 'woman's' skill... I wanted to smack him upside the head, since he had trouble with grammar, spelling, and context (using 'big' words to make himself sound smart, but he didn't use them correctly).

#18 deputydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 406 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

Good to see all the old Muse/Mux players coming back. I played for years and years.. Even tried a little Mux play late last year with the new graphical clients. Got my start with House Kurita on 3056 so I figure I will gravitate towards them again.
You may remember me best from 3065 along with my friend Garet Jax who I will drag kicking and screaming to play this game if it is any good.

#19 Promptus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMatamoras

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Yeah I did the MU*s. I think I went by Keno Ishigawa back then.

#20 Grayeagle

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Played the board game a few times, MPBT online from Kesmai, was 3d artist on MPBT:3025 when Mickey Soft killed it, all mid-late '90's.
In between time spent in and on Air Warrior, also by Kesmai.

Ended up bein a Lance Leader on MPBT back in the day ..fun stuff.
Was only 4 on 4 back then .. times have changed.

Looking very much forward to this next iteration and what it offers.

I am '1Grayeagle' in World of Tanks, 2nd Flame Warriors Clan
..we may have a few comin over altho I am not sure we will end up in House Kurita ..will be a vote no doubt.

-Gray Eagle
House Kurita

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users