Cicada 3M Build Ideas

83 replies to this topic

#1 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hey all, I just purchased a Cicada 3M and I'm wondering how other people are building theirs.

I chose the 3M for a few reasons. I wanted an ECM capable mech, but I despise having to fight other lights. I didn't want to fly a Com or Raven and give the other team another light. Similarly, while the Atlas DC looks amazing, I've been piloting a few heavy mechs lately and wanted something with a little speed. It also seemed like it would be fun to round out the medium mechs since I already have several Hunchies and Cents.

But I'm having trouble visualizing an effective build. The very first thing I did was take out the SPLAS and CASE (of debatable value to an XL mech) to get my ECM in there. ECM is obviously essential, but I'm game for any other ideas.

Playing around with it a bit, I immediately liked swapping out the stock UAC5 with an LBX. Dropped down to a XL290 to free up the tonnage. While the LBX is heavier and the damage is unfocused, the laxity in precision aiming was definitely appreciated while maintaining a high speed. Backed up with 2 MLAS, I felt like I had respectable, if not mind blowing, damage potential. But my ammo stores were shallow and it felt like the mech was capable of more.

I tried putting the XL320 back in and filling the chasis with 4 MPLAS and as many DHS as I could. The results were mixed. Fun ankle biter, but very limited. Granted an ECM Cicada is goign to end up in a lot of close range conflicts, but it still feels bad to have no way of damaging a mech more than 300m away.

I could do a mix of LLAS and MLAS to have more flexibility I suppose.

How are other people building their 3Ms? Any tips on how to best contribute to the team piloting this little bug?

#2 Keijo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I like the 320XL + 4 ML build you mentioned. Getting into range of the MLs is pretty easy, given you go so fast and have ECM for cover, and heat is a non-issue (especially after you upgrade to EndoSteel and fit 2 more DHS on there). You do need some extended time on target to get your damage in, though. Just juke around the enemy and you can get your licks in without dying. Serpentine, serpentine!

I might try changing to a 300XL and using the extra tonnage to put MPLs on there instead. If I get a bazillion space bux and have nothing better to do with them, that is.

EDIT: Oh, you said 4 MPL before. I cannot read!

Edited by Keijo, 14 December 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#3 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

I run the 340XL with speed tweak so I can run 148kph. With DHS my 4 ML are a sustainable AC/20 which does just fine. I play as a striker - in and out.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hum. Maybe I have to work on adjusting my playstyle more to fit the mech.

A 320XL with 4 MLAS and an AC/2 (1 ton ammo) seemed to work OK for me. Have to experiment a bit more.

#5 I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

View PostGeneral Pace, on 14 December 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

I run the 340XL with speed tweak so I can run 148kph. With DHS my 4 ML are a sustainable AC/20 which does just fine. I play as a striker - in and out.

This. Never stick around to actually FIGHT in this mech, your job is simply to annoy enemies, sometimes making them break formation and chase you, and softening up targets. I LOVE this mech. I do prefer the 5 or 6 laser variant a bit more, but then you don't get the ECM which means a bit more survivability.

Its one downside is heat, however the speed more than makes up for it, as long as you can keep yourself moving fast and break engagements before you overheat, you'll cool down quickly and be out of harms way while doing so, just make sure you NEVER fire off the overheating round in front of another mech, even fully armored up, this mech isn't build for taking alphas.

#6 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

I run it with 300XL (a bit "slow", 120+kmh), 2 large lasers and 2 medium lasers. And ECM of course.
Not sure it's the best CDA-3M build ever, but it works ok with me.

#7 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

Used to love my 6ML 2A Cicada, then ECM came out. Felt fielding my 3M was better, 320xl, 4MPL, ECM. I get way better performance out of the 3M. When moving that fast weapon range is never an issue. It works best as a mobile EW support/Torpedo boat for the battle line. Once battle is joined never drop below your max speed. Circle, alpha, jink, circle, alpha, over and over and over again. You disorient enemies, are able to focusfire support two close collegues at once (gives you that extra 2 secs cooldown while you swap buddies), watch flanks, buzz into enemy lines and ECM counter ravens and emandos. Don't expect a great amount of kills, but its easy to put out 400+ damage and 6+ assists every match. You can escape almost anything, rapid respond to a cap assist or base defence, eat butterflys and poo rainbows.

Why do I even own Cataphracts after this?

Edited by Murku, 16 December 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#8 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

I run mine with an xl300, 4 medium pulse lasers, double heatsinks, endo and ferro. Max armor.

nice for hit'n run, but it's not very good agianst raven 3L's because of the streaks.

Edited by Flapdrol, 16 December 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#9 Demonbreaker

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

My 3m is built for more flexability. Stock XL 320 11Dhs and case, 3 MLAS and UAC 5 with 2 tons of ammo... It also has FF armor and endo steel

Haven't tried out ecm yet tho, should i invest?

#10 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostDemonbreaker, on 21 December 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

My 3m is built for more flexability. Stock XL 320 11Dhs and case, 3 MLAS and UAC 5 with 2 tons of ammo... It also has FF armor and endo steel

Haven't tried out ecm yet tho, should i invest?

Simple answer: YES. If for no other reason than the increased difficulty in your enemies gaining missile lock for their LRMs and SSRMs.

#11 Aurel Atero

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Mine's currently: XL340, 4 x ML, ECM, BAP, Sensor Module, 14 DHS (3 engine, 1 in torso), Endo structure, Ferro armor (232 AP total!). And yes, it's mostly hit and run. You harass enemies, distract them, make some of them turn back and do stuff like that. But while you're at it you're dealing quite some damage. Granted it's not that accurate — you're running around at 151 KPH after all, — but there's a lot of it. And if you're able to find some poor LRM boat or some slow heavy/assault without support you can kill it rather quickly.

I used to run 4 x MPL but switched back to usual lasers due to lesser weight and heat generation wich allowed me to drop another DHS, install BAP and get almost full armor (damn, I even have some armor on its empty arms)

The only type of targets I can't deal with is ECM-equipped light mechs with Streaks. There isn't much you can do against them with your lasers (but maybe it's just the fact that I'm on the other side of the globe and my ping's around 160-220 ms). But you can always fall back to your team and that's another reason I prefer 4 x ML and 232 points of armor over 4 x MPL and much less armor.

Edited by Aurel Atero, 22 December 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#12 Klaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

So right now mine is:
XL 340
4 Medium Lasers
AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
ECM
Endo, maxed FF armor, and as many DHS as I can fit

I honestly really hate what the 3M has turned into however...

I'm so use to the 2A with 6 medium lasers and XL 340 that it just seems like garbage damage wise. Because you don't have streaks yourself, the only use for the ECM when you're by yourself is to defend against streaks. But really, 1 v 1, it seems like the Raven 3L is king now. It can counter your ECM and keep up with you, outputting more damage than you'll be able to unless you REALLY make your shots count. You can fry a Commando 2D pretty easy though as long as they don't get the jump on you.

That being said, I've tried 4 mediums lasers, 4 medium pulses and pretty much every combo between but it just doesn't pack the punch of the 2A for the heat cost. Maybe it is just me because I personally hate pulse lasers in general, but I just wish using an autocannon would be more viable...

Using 4 mediums seems to work the best in my experience though. You can basically hold down your alpha strike button and dish out constant damage while pulling over 150 kph. Moving that fast you can easily solo any mech other than a light with good maneuvering, it will just take a long time compared to the 2A.

From a team fight perspective, I think the 3M might be more useful staying with the main group and giving ECM/AMS and carrying an autocannon of your choice... Doing this you'll probably only be going 100~ish kph is you don't use an XL and want full armor with AMS too. You'll have to completely change your fighting style to act like a real 'medium' mech because of this.

I've tried this and never really had much fun. It seems like your damage output is restricted because you need to stay with the team to survive. Still seems more useful in some situtations perhaps.

#13 Ravihn

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Endo, Double Heat sinks, ECM, a 225 XL, 3 large lasers, and 272 points of armor. I wanted less of a light chaser and more of a stick with the ball and hard poke. It moves at 91.1 KPH without any speed tweaks yet. This build works for my playstyle. You kinda gotta poke around with what works for you. I tend to find ACs not worth the weight in a mech under 50 tons myself. Some evidence of my exploits and success...
Posted Image

I dont think that image worked... soooooo LINKS! If that doesnt work than.... I just dont know anything.

#14 MrLiNcH

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I just bought one as well... Still got stock XL320, upgraded to Endo and DHS and went with 1ML, 1MPL, 1LL, TAG, BAP and ECM, aka the ultimate scout...

Then just playing around since I haven't put an LBX10 on a mech yet, I stripped it, put an LBX10 with 2 tons ammo and 3SL... kinda fun, doing almost as much damage.

Lots of possibilities with the hard points and extra weight, =)

#15 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Stock XL320
3xML (2CT, 1RT)
1xSL (LT)
1xAC/2 (LT)
1xAMS
1xECM
2xtons AC/2 ammo
1xton AMS ammo

I can't say I do a lot of damage, but that's not the playstyle I go for. Mostly I find that Atlas that is all alone and punch through his rear armor for an easy kill, or scout whoever I can for any missle boats. With speed tweak, I've been going 142.6 kph, so I'm also usually the fasted little bug on the field.

#16 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Isn't there a hard cap on speed though? Keep wondering if to reduce my engine a bit now I have the speed tweak.

#17 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostRemarius, on 23 December 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Isn't there a hard cap on speed though?

150kph as I understand it.

#18 Gnatter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I run an XL310 with 4 MPL, ES, FF, DHS and ECM. Works nicely for my play style.

#19 I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostRemarius, on 23 December 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Isn't there a hard cap on speed though? Keep wondering if to reduce my engine a bit now I have the speed tweak.

every engine I've equipped so far has benefited from the bonus. You can get a cicada up to 148 kph with its biggest engine and speed tweak.

#20 Major Scumbag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostEhrithane, on 24 December 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

every engine I've equipped so far has benefited from the bonus. You can get a cicada up to 148 kph with its biggest engine and speed tweak.

Thats the reported speed. I understand and buddy did a test ingame. 1 mech running at 140.2 and next to him was 150kph. The 140 never got passed by the 150. I am thinking that the speed shows up on screen but your speed is still the lower one. I could be wrong but anything above 140 is a waste since the actual speed doesnt match what the speedometer says. Its like a race car with an restricter plate on it. I could be wrong...Hopefully there is a true response from PGI. In general the Cicada is a line skirmisher and not a light mech hunter. The speed in brawling helps a ton because most of my shots are on heavys are on the back. My true skirmisher is the flame with 360xl 4 ml and lbx 10. with speed tweak he moves at 102.9. Very fast for a heavy. My ranking doesnt reflect my actions. Getting 6 plus assists and mybe 1 kill. I will still earn more Cbills then most not counting the hero bonus but would wind up at the bottom 3. The ranking is based on kills. 1 kill and 48 damage is ranked higher then 400 damage and 6 assists. Go figure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users