• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Damnation I love the Cataphract.

CTF-4X

2 Medium Lasers (CT mounted)
2 LBX 10s, (left arm, right arm mounted)
SSRM-2 (head mounted)

4 tons of LBX10 ammo, two tons in each torso with CASE
1 ton SSRM ammo

Standard 210 engine
14 heat sinks

Very standard mech. The lack of an XL engine increases its survivability, and the lack of ferro fibrous or endo steel makes this a cheaper mech to build. She's slow, but able to dish out a ton of damage. The LBX's make it easier to hit those pesky lights, and the ssrm2 helps. 4 tons of LBX ammo ensures that you have enough to last you a whole match, although you can run out if you aren't careful in a heated slug fest.

Heat is very manageable, although you can overheat with the mediums if you're not careful in a slug fest.

I might toss in Endo Steel at some point, which will free up enough tonnage to upgrade to a standard 240 engine, but those are expensive upgrades.

#2 UloPe

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Why don't you put the ammo in the arms? That way you could save 2 tons for the CASEs (since if you loose the arms you won't need the ammo anymore anyways)

#3 Coole

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

You could put the ammo in the legs, since most people barely even take the time to leg anyone. You might also consider DHS with all the crit space you probably have. And why not endo steel? It'd make some tonnage room for an ER laser, or L laser since you only have short range weapons. Or maybe a faster engine. I'd advise against an XL since the 4x just won't go fast enough to avoid getting its LT or RT blown up, especially from the rear.

#4 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

That's exactly how my 1st Cataphract was alike.
The sad news it doesn't work.
LBXes are easy to aim,but they barely scratch paint of enemy mechs,and you don't have other means to weaken them before.
LBX cannons are nice to attack severly damaged opponents,but they suck when it comes to fight against a fresh one.

Get better aim then exchange LBXes for 2xAC10/UAC5.This setup opposite to LBX-based version is viable to put down fully healthy opponent.

#5 The Verge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I am a Loner, so I build my mechs to do almost any job. Lately have been running with crowds that have LRM's, and its more convincing for them to use their ammo when the target is being TAG'd. So, here is my CTF-4X.

Center Torso
Eng- 245 standard.
-1 Med Laser
-1 TAG
Right arm
-1 Gauss Rifle
Right Torso
-CASE
-3 tons Gauss ammo
-1 ton LRM
Left Torso
-AMS and it's ammo
Left arm
-AC/2
-2 tons AC/2 ammo
Head
-LRM 5
Feet
-standard heat sink each leg

Basically, so I can kill mechs and give some support with my LRM's, and receive some support with the addition of TAG.

#6 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

View Posttorgian, on 30 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Damnation I love the Cataphract.

CTF-4X

2 Medium Lasers (CT mounted)
2 LBX 10s, (left arm, right arm mounted)
SSRM-2 (head mounted)

4 tons of LBX10 ammo, two tons in each torso with CASE
1 ton SSRM ammo

Standard 210 engine
14 heat sinks

Very standard mech. The lack of an XL engine increases its survivability, and the lack of ferro fibrous or endo steel makes this a cheaper mech to build. She's slow, but able to dish out a ton of damage. The LBX's make it easier to hit those pesky lights, and the ssrm2 helps. 4 tons of LBX ammo ensures that you have enough to last you a whole match, although you can run out if you aren't careful in a heated slug fest.

Heat is very manageable, although you can overheat with the mediums if you're not careful in a slug fest.

I might toss in Endo Steel at some point, which will free up enough tonnage to upgrade to a standard 240 engine, but those are expensive upgrades.

The LBX's cost more than endo...

With endo and your LBX idea, you could run;

Chassis Name: Cataphract
Model Name: CTF-4X
Variant Name: 2xLBX10

Engine Cost: 1,000,000 C-Bills
Heat Sink Cost: 8,000 C-Bills
Armor Cost: 130,208 C-Bills
Weapons Cost: 1,790,000 C-Bills
Equipment Cost: 56,000 C-Bills
Ammo Cost: 155,975 C-Bills

Engine: 250 Reg Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Std Armor
Heat Sinks: 12 (10) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 70.00
Speed: 57.9 kph
Armor Total: 400
Alpha Strike Damage: 35.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 26.52%
Firepower: 11.93 dps
Heat Efficiency: 54.66%
Effective Range of Loadout: 540m

Head: 18/18
Right Torso: 44/60
Right Rear Torso: 16/60
Center Torso: 66/88
Center Rear Torso: 22/88
Left Torso: 44/60
Left Rear Torso: 16/60
Right Arm: 44/44
Left Arm: 44/44
Right Leg: 43/60
Left Leg: 43/60

Weapons Locations
Right Arm:
LBX10
Left Arm:
LBX10
Center Torso:
(2) Medium Laser
Head:
Streak SRM2

Heat Sink Locations
Right Torso: 1

Left Torso: 1

Equipment Locations
Left Torso:
AMS
CASE

Ammo Locations
Left Torso:
(3) LBX10 Ammo
Right Leg:
LBX10 Ammo
Streak SRM Ammo
Left Leg:
LBX10 Ammo
AMS Ammo

File created using MWO Mechbay

for example. there's no reason to skip on endo.

#7 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Happened to see a AC/10 phract in spectator mop up at least three enemies before going down. While we lost that match, I was impressed with his skill in taking out enemies.

I've personally never been a fan of the LBX - seems to do less focused damage. It helps with a broken system (net code vs. lights), but I fear if those problems get fixed, it will be a mediocre performer at best. Granted, most of my experience is with closed beta, so I haven't kept up on any changes, but my memory is that it was a lackluster weapon and tonnage-wise the AC/10 or UAC/5 were better bang for the buck.

#8 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostLanessar, on 31 December 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Happened to see a AC/10 phract in spectator mop up at least three enemies before going down. While we lost that match, I was impressed with his skill in taking out enemies.

I've personally never been a fan of the LBX - seems to do less focused damage. It helps with a broken system (net code vs. lights), but I fear if those problems get fixed, it will be a mediocre performer at best. Granted, most of my experience is with closed beta, so I haven't kept up on any changes, but my memory is that it was a lackluster weapon and tonnage-wise the AC/10 or UAC/5 were better bang for the buck.

i don't even find them particularly good at melting lights tbh - although i'm quite awful at mechs so maybe that's why. much prefer to be able to do 20pts of focused damage (dual AC10) vs everything not a raven than 20pts of scattered damage against everything.

#9 Lanessar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 31 December 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

i don't even find them particularly good at melting lights tbh - although i'm quite awful at mechs so maybe that's why. much prefer to be able to do 20pts of focused damage (dual AC10) vs everything not a raven than 20pts of scattered damage against everything.

The best luck I've had against lights was running a 5 SRM stalker, and just "shotgunning" SRMS ahead of the light as they run parallel to you. They simply run into at least 20 SRMs and crumple. But it's hard to manage.

#10 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostLanessar, on 31 December 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

The best luck I've had against lights was running a 5 SRM stalker, and just "shotgunning" SRMS ahead of the light as they run parallel to you. They simply run into at least 20 SRMs and crumple. But it's hard to manage.

It's incredibly satisfying when you do catch a light like that though. Even more-so when they hit a wall just as your racks re-cycle

pretty fireworks :3

#11 Atheose

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostLanessar, on 31 December 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

I used the 5 SRM6 Stalker for a while, but removed the 5th SRM since it shoots out of the NARC Beacon slot one-at-a-time. But my 4 SRM6 are definitely effective against lights. Every now and then you'll catch a light stuck against a building, and WHAM.

#12 Brennus

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Mich.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

AMS
AC/5 (x2)
LB 10-X AC (x1)
LRM 5 (x1)
Heat Sinks (x10)
STD Engine 210
C.A.S.E.

Speed 48.6
Tonnage 70 / 70
Firepower 29 / 175
Heat Efficiency 1.38 / 2
Ferro Fibrous Armor (374 / 434)
Structure Standard

This build has proven to be very flexible, as I can switch up from long range support w/ LRM's (CT) and grouped AC/5's, to front line support w/ (2) chain linked AC/5's (RA) and an LB 10-X (LA). Damage output is nominal but consistent, and the LB 10-X is very effective against both light and damaged armor, especially when linked w/ the AC/5's.

#13 Jaynestown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Try a STD-245 with Ultra Autocannon-5's. Then, if you want to tack on a shotgun-like weapon, use an SRM4 in the head instead of the streak launcher. Tried it with the AC-10 and didn't like it as much.

#14 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

The 4X sucks. There is not a single build you can do with him that you can't do better with other phrac. The hardpoints are just terrible. Missile point is at head, lol, and the two energy points at center torso which leaves you with basically two options; 2 ML or 1 LL. This mech is the posterboy for crappy mechs.

#15 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

My favourite Phract-4X build mounts 4xAC2 and 2xML. Endo & DHS with the stock 210 engine. The 4 AC2s means I hit for 8 damage on each shot, 16dps. That's just shy of an AC10 every half second with the longest range and fastest projectile speed in the game. It's a sniper/striker build not a brawler due to the slow speed and the fact that all of the main weapons are in the arms. Thankfully, if you place yourself correctly you can shred any opponents hoping to brawl with you into easy kills once they close.

#16 Jaynestown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Can you share the specifics of that 4X 4-AC2 build? I tried something similar last night with a STD-245 like I posted above. I could fit 2x MLAS and a decent amount of ammo and heat sinks. This is the basic outline (link) which, without the MLAS added yet, leave me with four tons to play with.

#17 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostJaynestown, on 03 January 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

Can you share the specifics of that 4X 4-AC2 build? I tried something similar last night with a STD-245 like I posted above. I could fit 2x MLAS and a decent amount of ammo and heat sinks. This is the basic outline (link) which, without the MLAS added yet, leave me with four tons to play with.

The biggest difference I see is that you have a 245 while I had a 210. The rest of your build is similar.
Frankly, I'm considering dropping the 2xMLs, I rarely use them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users