First Chassis To Elite?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hey all! I'm a dinosaur from the MW2 era, and apart from that and some MW2 Mercs a few years ago I'm pretty much a noob. I got my account last week, played some training mechs, bought the Atlas and Jenner with the Trial by Fire offer, and got the Hunchback SP4 as my first c-bill purchase after some forum research. As of last night, I had enough mech XP for the whole basic tree, and after my various upgrades about 5.2M c-bills banked, so it's time to look a a new 'Mech.

Then I started looking at the other Hunchie variants. Yuck. That hunch really hampers the chassis. So I'm wondering if it would be worth grinding the SP4 up to elite, or if I should just concentrate on a new chassis. I really enjoy my laserboat scout/harasser Jenner and the brawler SP4, but I've found I don't really like LRM configurations after testing out the the trial Trebuchet. I also think the 4P would be kind of boring due to the simplistic loadout and role inflexibility. Plus 4SP just seems all-around better. That makes me inclined to try out a new class to make the elite grind on first.

However, I've been thinking about one other configuration of the 4P I may want to try. I just don't know if it's viable. That being, to make up for the "eggs in a basket" problem most Hunchbacks have, load it with 3 ER PPCs, one per arm plus one in the right torso. Add in DHS, endo, and probably an AMS. standard engine, plus possibly a few MLas in case I get flushed out. I think the sniper role would be more fun than the "stand behind cover and never see your enemy" style of LRM boats that I dislike so much.

Question is: is that an OK build? If not, should I just turn to another chassis? I tend to like flexible support builds in my multiplayer games (always played a hybrid Druid in WoW, back when that was possible), so 'Mechs like the Centurion, Cataphract, and Dragon (yeah I know Dragon is a mech for pros), or possibly an ECM-equipped Atlas would seem like good fits. I also tend to avoid cheese, since that just doesn't seem like much fun, so I'd probably avoid Catapult builds out of principle and Craven out of guilt. :unsure:

Thanks in advance, and I'll see you on re battlefield! Probably just before you blow off the oversized tumor on my R Torso. :wub:

Edited by Lyoncet, 06 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#2 Benyamin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, Georgia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

I love the Hunchbacks, I've mastered them, and enjoyed playing them. I have the 4SP, the 4P, and the 4G(F). The SP is a really nice little brawler, and only gets better as you unlock Elite. But it can be a bit of a grind in the other ones, because you are right, the hunch can be a drawback. But don't let this discourage you from the build,

Here is my 4P build:

2 ERPPC
7 SLAS
STD 260 Engine
Max Armor
As many DHS as possible.

The ERPPCs are nice for range, but you have to expose some of your body since they are in the arms. The 7SLas can pack a nasty punch at close range, and generates very little heat.

I've played with several different setups for my 4G. The stock AC/20 is nice for brawling, as you can flank and hit hard. Swapping it up for a Gauss rifle can give you a decent little sniper setup. Then there's the twin AC/5 or UAC/5 setup.

In any case, I enjoy these mechs. Also, the more you play them, the better you get at protecting your hunch. Sure, it still gets shot off sometimes, but it's just one of those things about this mech.I hope some of this rambling has helped you, and hasn't completely discouraged you from the build.

#3 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

The HBKs were my first to master, and I have a blast with them! As you noted, the 4SP is generally considered the superior variant, and is my personal favorite. However, the 4P is a close second. I've tried a variety of builds, from all MLAS, 2 PPC 7 SLAS and now 7 SLAS and 2 LPL. The twin PPC was a lot of fun, but I really enjoy my current SLAS/LPL build. It lacks in range and runs hot in an extended brawl, but I can still do bad things with it. It particularly excels at hunting lights, but it is generally devastating if ignored.

Regarding your build, I'vs heard of people doing three PPCs, but they also say it's a bit of a glass cannon. I would think you will not be able to carry much else, will need a smallish engine, and will have to reduce armor to fit them all in. I would suggest two PPCs or ER PPCs, with some back up weapons and a decent engine. The regulars are much better on heat than the ERs, but you might find yourself wanting for the extra range, if you go with true sniping. With that said, the PPCs will be much better at managing heat, and with backup lasers, the minimum range is less of an issue.

With that said, try what you want. Just be aware you may need to make some sacrifices with a 3 PPC build on a 50 ton, and with the 3 ERs in particular, you will need to keep an eye on heat.

#4 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

HBKs are a lot of fun. My first mechs to get to master. The venerable 4SP, a 4P (7 SLAS and 2 MLAS which was great at the time but might be outmoded now) and a 4G with 2 UAC5s (but I would use the AC20 nowadays since the projectile speed was buffed).

They really are fine mechs and you can elite them all without too much strain. That said, if you don't like them, you don't like them.

Cent's play very similar to HBKs in some ways but have their own personality. I love my Centurion mechs and would recommend them. The CN9-A can be a powerful 3xSRM6 platform. The -AL has a ton of different builds (partial to 2xLLAS, 2xMLAS myself). But then you are stuck with either the ridiculously Cbill expensive CN9-D, or the actual money expensive YLW for the 3rd chassis. I actually have and enjoy the YLW myself. It's a great little mech. But only worth the investment if your sure Cents are right for you. If you decide to do the Cent thing and get the YLW, I recommend doing it first to build capital.

I'd stay away from Dragons, although the 1C with 4xLLAS is still capable. But, you have to buy an expensive XL300+ to make it worth your while.

Atlai are expensive, but the D-DC is worth every penny. Very powerful mech once you get used to it. Might be a little tough for a newer player to be the centre of attention though (enemies want to kill you, teammates want you to lead)

Phracts are decent. Plenty of good builds for all models. Again, if spending real money is an option, the Illya is considered the best/most-powerful Hero mech.

I love Awesomes, but they are not for new players.

Stalkers might be fun. And the Trebuchet line up offers some mechs that are very potent even in stock config or only require minimal adjustments to upgrade.

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Everybody loves Hunchback.

#6 Harabeck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

With even 2 ERPPC's a hunchback is going to run way too hot. To even get close to making it viable you'd have to be running a tiny standard engine. Three would just be insane. Regular PPC's would be more viable heatwise, but now you're completely vulnerable to a brawler while still being too slow to outrun much of anything.

If you like PPC's, Catapults (K2) or Cataphracts are a much better choice. If you're gonna stick with the Hunchback, find some brawling or mid-range builds.

#7 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I got my Hunches to master in closed beta so I may be out of tune with what is popular, but the 4SP, 4P, and then the 4J (so I can use the same weapon systems for cost savings) to elite wasn't too bad.

I would recommend the Centurion chassis since the 9-A and YLW (if your spending MC) are both very viable builds with zombie abilities. If you can find another Cent that fits your style, that would be the chassis of preference.

Dragons I would hold off till collisions are back. Back in the day (Dec 3049?) I remember Dragon-bowling as a great way to blow off steam. nothing like knocking down Atlai in succession to really put the enemy team at a disadvantage.

-S

#8 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

I would tough it out and keep using the Hunchbacks. Between them they are very versatile chassis and can do quite a bit.

#9 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hunchback or Catapult.

#10 The Blazer of Lasers

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationIn a peaceful meadow on terra pondering the meaning of flamers.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

get a cataphract. They are the best mechs in the game. I've mastered all of mine. Although expensive the 3D with double heatsinks and extra armour is your best bet. Try this one: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b01b6ed8aa8f381

#11 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I agree the Cataphract is probably the best mech to elete or master. All chassis are quite excellent with perhaps the exception of the 4X. But that makes up for it in fun and then some.

Hunchies are also a very decent mech to elite. The 4J, 4P and 4H are pretty decent chassis to level up.
The 4J you can build almost the same as the 4SP; with 3Mlas and 2 srm6's. In some respects even better because of more tightly grouped srm's.
The 4P you can laserboat
The 4H is probably the tougest one but you could put in an AC/20 with some lasers and provide fire support. Not as solid as the above two but still a pretty solid mech and fun to play.

#12 Draxa

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

For leveling the other hunchies to elite, I just gave em standard 250 engine, 3 large lasers if possible, and had some fun!

#13 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses! It looks like the HBK's shoulder-size/eggs-in-a-basket problems aren't as big as I thought, so I'll probably stick with it. And looking over my stats, I do way better in the 4SP than in my Jenner or Atlas, so short-range brawlers may be my thing anyways.

I think for my next line I'll look at the Cataphract, but for now I'll go ahead and tool around with the HBK-4P a little to see how I like the direct fire support angle with PPCs or ER Large vs lasers and more lasers. Then probably over to the 4H or 4G to mess around with different AC classes. Peeking around cover just to chunk someone for 20 a few times a game seems pretty fun.

So what about 4H vs. 4G? Seems like the extra energy hardpoints would make the 4H more newbie friendly, but I kind of like the idea of doing a double UAC/5 or triple AC/2 build. And both can do the AC/20 or LB10X + lazorz build just fine from what I've seen.

Edited by Lyoncet, 06 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#14 Cifrer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

If you decide to go for Cataphracts get a Muromets, you'll not be disappointed.

#15 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I love my Treb 7M. I run a 1x PPC, 1x ML, 1x TAG, 1X ALRM15 w/ 2 tons ammo, 2x SSRM2 w/ 1 ton ammo and 4 JJ's. It's a really nice all around Mech and the jump jets make it pretty viable even against a 3L solo, and it makes for a decent poptart, but you have to do it twice to get the LRM's and TAG to work right.

The LRM's make a surprising difference in game play because it forces the other team to take cover/scramble, which gives you some good tactical advantages. The PPC + TAG and SSRM's actually make it fairly decent for taking on ECM lights if you are a good shot and there's only one ECM.

Edited by ohtochooseaname, 06 March 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#16 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

hunchies are nice in that they do well with few upgrades, whereas other mechs to really shine need multiple upgrades, some an XL engine too, and can essentially run you double to triple their base price to optimize

that said, mediums right now are sort of a weak class. i'm sure you'll find people out there who swear by them, but the bottom line is, no medium has the hitbox+ecm+speed of the raven 3L, the short range dominance of the A1 splatcat, the long range guerrilla tactics of the 3D phract, nor the survivability and damage output of stalkers and atlases. yes the cent-A has found its way into competitive teams, but were it not for a mandated class mix, i suspect many would take an extra light or heavy or assault instead of their medium

so hunchy, while decent to be a first mech to elite, is a bit lackluster in the long run. might be good to just basic 3 hbks, elite the 4sp, then move on. catapults would be a good choice for 2nd mech - the different variants are all potent, and can be used to brawl, snipe (jumpsnipe even), lrmboat, direct fire support, etc

#17 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Well, as others said: go on and elite your hunchies first, before you move on to a new chassis.
The 4P as a second hunchi is a no-brainer, and after that... if you really prefer ballistsics the H or G are the ways to go.
I personally prefer rockets, so the 4J is my 3rd hunchie of choice :wacko:

#18 Runenstahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationLyran Commonwealth (Germany)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostThe Blazer of Lasers, on 06 March 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

get a cataphract. They are the best mechs in the game.

My own opinion: Cataphracts are quite powerful but I couldn't bring myself to pilot such an ugly mech. They just don't have the coolness of a Centurion or an Atlas :wacko:

#19 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Phracts are really really fugly.
And if you do not like ballistics that much, like myself, you won't enjoy them.

#20 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Hm, that's interesting. I don't find Cataphracts that ugly. Certainly not Centurian/Atlad levels of badass, but not bad. Speaking of which, thanks for the advice on the Cataphract and Centurion. Those will probably be what I master after HBK and Jenner, which I'm growing quite fond of.

First 5 matches with the 4P have been pretty good. I went from 9 MLAS to 6 SLAS 2 LLAS, and I'm liking the second config quite a bit. Between being small and relatively quick, it's not too hard to close to 90-180 km, and I don't have to sit around feeling useless if we're exchanging fire at 600 km on a low-cover map. Still need to decide on which variant to finish it out with between the two ballistics variants, but after looking at the range and dps/ton you can get from 3 AC/2, I think I may give that a shot. Besides, it seems like since I already have a double-missile and a laserboat HBK, I may as well take the one that rounds out the loadouts and go heavy ballistic.

Unless that runs too hot, I suppose. In which case maybe 2 AC or UAC/5, or just forget it and go with the J and an AC/20.

Edited by Lyoncet, 07 March 2013 - 04:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users