#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

GET OVER IT!!!

It's been part of MW and BT since the beginning and will not change. Stop complaining about it and figure out how to beat it, I have! Even in MWLL which restricted boating by having no mechlab had a few boats, the Fafnir with 4 LBX-20 (Power Glove), the 4 PPC Nova Cat with JJ's, the 4 LRM 20 Vulture (Mad Dog). Boating is part of this game, accept it, learn how to fight it, and for god sakes stop crying over it, it won't do any good, it only makes things nerf!

#2 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

No. Just imagine this 'no' in large enough for you font size.

Boating was part of PVE game. In all netmech variants it was a bane. Now time has came to get rid of it.

Edited by Featherwood, 18 March 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#3 TheArcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

For the newer players, what is Boating? I'd assume LRM boats, but I dislike assumptions.

#4 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostTheArcher, on 18 March 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

For the newer players, what is Boating? I'd assume LRM boats, but I dislike assumptions.

It's running nothing but 1 weapon type on a chassis. Examples include Stalkers with 4-6 ER or straight PPC's, SplatCat running 6 SRM launchers, LRM boats, etc.

View PostFeatherwood, on 18 March 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Boating was part of PVE game. In all netmech variants it was a bane. Now time has came to get rid of it.

The time has not come to remove boating, as I said it's part of BT/MW, always has been. All boats have a weakness that can be exploited to a victory if you are smart enough to recognize the boat, figure out it's weakness, and then exploit it. Try figuring it out instead of crying about it.

#5 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 18 March 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

It's running nothing but 1 weapon type on a chassis. Examples include Stalkers with 4-6 ER or straight PPC's, SplatCat running 6 SRM launchers, LRM boats, etc.

The time has not come to remove boating, as I said it's part of BT/MW, always has been. All boats have a weakness that can be exploited to a victory if you are smart enough to recognize the boat, figure out it's weakness, and then exploit it. Try figuring it out instead of crying about it.

Well said.

#6 Theevenger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

There is nothing wrong with boating. The goal of any strategy is to pit your enemy's weaknesses against your strengths. Any boat Mech has serious compromises in it that you can exploit if you are clever. Learn to play better.

#7 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostTheevenger, on 18 March 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

There is nothing wrong with boating. The goal of any strategy is to pit your enemy's weaknesses against your strengths. Any boat Mech has serious compromises in it that you can exploit if you are clever. Learn to play better.

^^THIS

#8 CallMeGunny

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Boats own rushers/bad players, and are free XP to good players.

Any idea how many LRM boats have been chewed up by my ATLAS-D? That thing takes a week to get to them, but even at 48.6KPH I can dodge missiles and use cover.. Making that boat entirely useless. As for my Raven-3L.. Well, boats don't stand a chance. Want to know why?

Boats excel at a very limited number of engagements. They only have one weapon type.. Splatcats? Hit them from range, don't close in. 1 Medium laser beats a splatcat everytime.

LRM Boats? Cover. Turn (you'd be amazed how easy it is to dodge LRMs by simply walking at a 90 degree angle from their approach), get within 180m and they're helpless.

Laser boats? Lol, easiest of the bunch as they have less advantage on "their turf" than the others: And you have two options to deal with them: Armor or speed. In my ATLAS I just turn everytime they're about to fire, use my arms to shield. In my Raven I KEEP MOVING. And do you know what happens? They overheat, giving me PLENTY of time to freely fire away, while their firepower is limited to about two shots a minute. As well, they open their backs up or their core because they stop moving when they overheat.

Moral here is simple: there is no boat that is overpowered. If anything, they're the easiest to kill. Let them boat, we will come for them.

Edited by CallMeGunny, 19 March 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#9 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Boating has it's own drawbacks that are built-in to the core game mechanics so with a bit of balancing boating will be weaker than a well designed mech. High heat configs spend alot of time managing that heat or shutting down, or they blow themselves up, which is not really added yet, IMHO. MWO Mechs don't seem to have a, explode-engine cap yet. Missiles are either Range or Ammo weaknessed, Ballistics are weight and ammo weaknessed.

It's actually by balancing the weaknesses of the boats, (the inherent weaknesses of all weapons) into a non-boat, that you create the best of the best Mechs. I never boat and I beat all the boats in one on ones. When those occur. So I am not going to buy into the Boats are OP'd. My designs are better than Boats, and they aren't boating anything.

Edited by Lightfoot, 19 March 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#10 Theevenger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 19 March 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

High heat configs spend alot of time managing that heat or shutting down, or they blow themselves up, which is not really added yet, IMHO. MWO Mechs don't seem to have a, explode-engine cap yet.

If you hit the override while overheating I guarantee you will blow up after a few seconds if you don't shut down.

#11 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Lots of validity added to my statement, good to see!

Personally I have been running my Splatcat as of late to prove a point. I can be useful on any map we have, as long as the other team doesn't have good situational awareness. I can flank and Splat 2-4 mechs before they even realize what is happening to them. On Alpine and Tourmaline I can get to the rear while my team is engaged with the bulk of the force and kill their LRM boats and PPC boats. On the other maps I just don't lead the charge in or I flank.

I did it so well the other yesterday on Tourmaline that when I killed the last enemy in a 100% healthy Atlas D-DC he raged the next round while on my team and decided to rip my ears off when we were making our way out of the tunnel on Forest Colony. I was following a drop mate in his Atlas, then it was me in the splat, then the guy I owned the previous match. He waited till we exited the tunnel and blew one ear off, then the other on his next alpha. Soar looser and a crappy team player with absolutely no pilot of gunnery skills, so he thought he'd get his revenge. He's now on my hunt list, so I get to have fun every time I see him in game. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users