Mechs That Mount Binary Laser In Stock Variant?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

"FrostCollar: There are a number of weapons that fit into the timeline but are not in game, including binary lasers, mech mortars, Arrow IV missiles, etc. Without having to get into details, are there currently any plans to introduce more types of Inner Sphere weaponry?

A: Yes, generally when we add a BattleMech that carries the aforementioned equipment."

Curious which mechs mount the Blazer.
Maybe we can figure out some of the upcoming mechs.

For example, the Marauder MAD-4X mounts 2 blazers in each arm.

#2 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

I don't remember the binary laser.

#3 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 24 March 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

I don't remember the binary laser.

http://www.sarna.net...ry_Laser_Cannon

Nicknamed the Blazer, the Binary Laser Cannon is widely considered a dead-end technology. Taking two large laser cores and fusing them together, the Blazer was designed to fire both cores at the same time, increasing damage penetration. In practice, damage yield proved low compared to the lasers firing separately, and the high heat generated by the Blazer severely taxed available heat sink technology of the time.
While research on the Blazer started in the Lyran Commonwealth in 2801, actual prototype models first showed up in the Free Worlds League in 2812.
With the re-introduction of double heat sinks, the Blazer cannon is now a viable weapon.

MAD-4X - This variant was made at Ronin Incorporated's facility on Wallis in 3039. Techs removed the standard weaponry from a Marauder and replaced the arm mounted weapons with a Binary Laser Cannon in each arm, while the torso mounted autocannon was replaced by twin SRM-6 launchers backed by one ton of ammunition. The Marauder-4X was also noteworthy because it used a Prototype Endo Steel chassis. To keep the heat under control technicians installed twelve single heat sinks and six prototype Double Heat Sinks.[18]

#4 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

The major advantage for an MWO version of the Blazer would be the ability to basicly mount 2 LL in one energy hardpoint. In TT I always thought the Blazer was too much heat/weight/space, but with limited hardpoints it gains enough (to me) to be a possibility.

Base damage: 12
Heat: 16
Slots: 4
Tons: 9
Range: 450m

Compared to 2 LL:

Base Damage: 18
Heat: 14
Tons: 10

To make the Blazer effective in MWO I would suggest the following:

Base Damage: 15
Heat: 13
ROF: 3.5 (LL has 3.25)
Beam Duration: 1.2 (LL has 1.0)

Has some advantages over 2 LL but is still a heavy, high heat weapon. You could still focus your damage quite well but the heat will be an issue if you are heavy on the trigger.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Personally I just want the Arrow IV. Death from a place far far away.

#6 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

http://www.sarna.net...Schwerer_Gustav

#7 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Blazer would be a relatively useless weapon. 75% damage of 2 LLasers. 90% tonnage, 100% heat.

There aren't any production mechs with Blazers in them because even the technicians working on them realized they sucked and they just put them in storage facilities.

Arrow IV on the other hand...There's a Catapult with one of them available at this time in the game.

They could probably give it full map capability on any map, but can ONLY fire aimed at a target that's tagged, otherwise it fires much less accurately, 300 m minimum range. 4 damage, 15 meter spread 2 damage 30 meter spread. Now that may not sound like a lot of damage, but with that kind of spread, a mech (or mechs) is taking 5 damage to every part...about 40 total damage to a mech(s) near it, about 20 total to a mech(s) still within 30m range. 8 second reload, can't fire till last Arrow is done with it's job.

Makes it a useful support weapon, but not a game changer. Makes TAG more useful (I like Tagging Fatlases with my Spider) So it's a fun team weapoon. Multiples of it might be devastating, but only to camping players. Might make for a very good base defender (ie send a fast mech bake to spot for you and nuke your own base that's being capped)

#8 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

View Postverybad, on 24 March 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Blazer would be a relatively useless weapon. 75% damage of 2 LLasers. 90% tonnage, 100% heat.

There aren't any production mechs with Blazers in them because even the technicians working on them realized they sucked and they just put them in storage facilities.

Arrow IV on the other hand...There's a Catapult with one of them available at this time in the game.

They could probably give it full map capability on any map, but can ONLY fire aimed at a target that's tagged, otherwise it fires much less accurately, 300 m minimum range. 4 damage, 15 meter spread 2 damage 30 meter spread. Now that may not sound like a lot of damage, but with that kind of spread, a mech (or mechs) is taking 5 damage to every part...about 40 total damage to a mech(s) near it, about 20 total to a mech(s) still within 30m range. 8 second reload, can't fire till last Arrow is done with it's job.

Makes it a useful support weapon, but not a game changer. Makes TAG more useful (I like Tagging Fatlases with my Spider) So it's a fun team weapoon. Multiples of it might be devastating, but only to camping players. Might make for a very good base defender (ie send a fast mech bake to spot for you and nuke your own base that's being capped)

No, not a game changer. But for mechs like some Awesomes with only one energy in it's arm it would add more options.

#9 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postverybad, on 24 March 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Then you increase the base damage of the Blazer. The benefit is that you can effectively mount 2 LL in 1 hardpoint. For many mechs this would not be a big deal, but for some it could be a very useful increase to their available firepower.

I will not loose any sleep if we never get them in the game, but they might be worth adding once everything else is working correctly. Of course that could take a while, lol.

#10 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

'Mechs that have a canon variant that mounts a Binary Laser Cannon:
  • Marauder (MAD-4X)
  • Zeus (ZEU-6Y)
  • Enforcer III (ENF-7X)
  • Deva (Alt. Config. S)
  • Archangel ("Caelestis" non-standard variant)
  • Eisenfaust (EFT-8X)
  • Rook (NH-3X)
  • Schwerer Gustav (sole variant)
  • Sarissa (MN1-D)
Of these variants, only the ZEU-6Y and the MAD-4X were developed/introduced before 3070.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 24 March 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#11 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 24 March 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

'Mechs that have a canon variant that mounts a Binary Laser Cannon:
  • Marauder (MAD-4X)
  • Zeus (ZEU-6Y)
  • Enforcer III (ENF-7X)
  • Deva (Alt. Config. S)
  • Archangel ("Caelestis" non-standard variant)
  • Eisenfaust (EFT-8X)
  • Rook (NH-3X)
  • Schwerer Gustav (sole variant)
  • Sarissa (MN1-D)
Of these variants, only the ZEU-6Y and the MAD-4X were developed/introduced before 3070.

<3

Edit: Hello ZEU-6Y

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 24 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#12 Harrison von doober

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

And we're unlikely to get the marauder, so its one zeus varient?

#13 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 24 March 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

The major advantage for an MWO version of the Blazer would be the ability to basicly mount 2 LL in one energy hardpoint. In TT I always thought the Blazer was too much heat/weight/space, but with limited hardpoints it gains enough (to me) to be a possibility.

Base damage: 12
Heat: 16

Compared to 2 LL:

Base Damage: 18
Heat: 14
Tons: 10

Has some advantages over 2 LL but is still a heavy, high heat weapon. You could still focus your damage quite well but the heat will be an issue if you are heavy on the trigger.

they can't make tonnage changes to weapons because that would screw up stock mech weight. but i think a good heat reduction buff would make it pretty viable. besides the logistic benefits of having 2 LL in 1 hardpoint.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

mEh.

Lets get what we DO have sorted out first, before worrying about niche weapons that are of dubious use (at least in current MWO format..... I could see the Arrow IV making itself useful on Tourmaline, Alpine or even Caustic, but would have to be useluss up close and personal to balance it's massive range advantage).

Maybe after they get done with the lrm/srm yo-yo. But until they get the basics sorted (like they should have BEFORE introducing level 2 Tech in the first place), let's not confuse the poor dears, eh?

#15 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostTennex, on 24 March 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

they can't make tonnage changes to weapons because that would screw up stock mech weight. but i think a good heat reduction buff would make it pretty viable. besides the logistic benefits of having 2 LL in 1 hardpoint.

I did not change any tonnage amounts on what I listed. I just adjusted the heat, damage, ROF and beam duration.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

mEh.

Lets get what we DO have sorted out first, before worrying about niche weapons that are of dubious use (at least in current MWO format..... I could see the Arrow IV making itself useful on Tourmaline, Alpine or even Caustic, but would have to be useluss up close and personal to balance it's massive range advantage).

Maybe after they get done with the lrm/srm yo-yo. But until they get the basics sorted (like they should have BEFORE introducing level 2 Tech in the first place), let's not confuse the poor dears, eh?

I agree with you, we need to get the rest of the game sorted out first. But it is still fun to think ahead and speculate on ways to implement new weapons that we would want to see.

Edited by Tickdoff Tank, 24 March 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#16 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

mEh.

Absolutely agree with this. I want all sorts of weapons in the game, but making sure the balance is really good before adding more distractions is necessary.

#17 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

re: The Blazer, this is an important point that people do not understand:

Just because it wasn't good in TT does not mean it has to suck in MWO.

#18 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostHarrison von doober, on 24 March 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

And we're unlikely to get the marauder, so its one zeus varient?

"ZEU-6Y - An experiment in logistical support, the -6Y kept the AC/5 in the right arm, but replaced the LRM-15 with a single LRM-10 launcher. A single Binary Laser Cannon was installed on an over-shoulder mount in the right torso. The heat from this weapon degraded the myomer performance however and production halted. Armor, engine, and heat dissipation remained identical to the -6S model."

Spoiler

The -6Y was an experimental variant (that apparently did see some limited production) around 2922.

Barring the introduction of the Marauder or a time-skip into the WoB J***d, the -6y is the only 'Mech that MWO would be likely to consider that comes stock with a Blaser.

#19 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I was actually wondering about this yesterday after reading that. I think that being able to fit two sub-par, very hot large lasers in a single energy hardpoint is very valid in this game. Devs?

#20 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 24 March 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Also: beam color would be closer to indigo or purple...? :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users