Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

We've repacked and Re-released the CN9-A Grimm Variant (XL Config) video on MechSpecsTV

This was done due to the fact that the musical score, during the actual combat drop, was causing some restrictions in some countries and also affecting the syndication ability of the video itself (ie: not being able to be streamed over mobile devices).

The new repack features a much more in-depth look at the mech, its' role and its' various weapon systems as well as the original commentary during the drop itself. Enjoy!

The build itself can be discussed here: CN9-A Grimm Variant (XL Config)

*Note: This should now stream properly on mobile devices.

Edited by Mason Grimm, 22 March 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#2 Outfoxed

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

Kool and helpful vid, looks a nice build too. Though in the spirit of experimenting do you also have the original standard engine build? I would like to try em both. ;)

#3 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

SRM nerf probably hit this config hard...

Edited by Kmieciu, 22 March 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#4 Hurricane Bob

• Pip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

even with the splash nerf, this build is still effective, the only thing that might downgrade it will be when the missile launch tube "thing" gets revised.
in other words, good build guide Mason. +1UP

Edited by Hurricane Bob, 22 March 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#5 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Bob! Yes; sadly with all the changes still going on inside MWO there is no Build to Rule Them All because tomorrow that build could be WTFPWNED the next day after a hotpatch, ya know?

#6 Ninjamoose

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • LocationProbably in front of my computer.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

As one who will be very soon investing in a Cent, you are a hero.

Now that I think about it, why don't people run XLs in Cents more?

Edited by Ninjamoose425, 24 March 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Berith Apollyon

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationRuins of Gabriel - Argentina

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I run a Cent with as-10 / 2 medlas / 3 ssrm and XL. I love piloting it, except when I fall in an ECM bubble I half my weapons can be fired.

#8 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostBerith Apollyon, on 24 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I run a Cent with as-10 / 2 medlas / 3 ssrm and XL. I love piloting it, except when I fall in an ECM bubble I half my weapons can be fired.

Hence the reason to run with straight SRMs. I find a lot of time ECM toting mechs love to come in and play and get surprised when I nail them with an SRM. Give it a whirl and see!

#9 Berith Apollyon

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationRuins of Gabriel - Argentina

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 24 March 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Hence the reason to run with straight SRMs. I find a lot of time ECM toting mechs love to come in and play and get surprised when I nail them with an SRM. Give it a whirl and see!

Ok, ill try it, thx for the advice

#10 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPerth

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Awesome build Grimm and even with the nerfed missiles your still laying down 27 dmg which is enough to drop lights still. I will adopt your build but throw in Artemis to max the SRM dmg... Thanks for sharing...

#11 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Postcdrolly, on 24 March 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Awesome build Grimm and even with the nerfed missiles your still laying down 27 dmg which is enough to drop lights still. I will adopt your build but throw in Artemis to max the SRM dmg... Thanks for sharing...

At least now a Hunchback with AC20 has a fighting chance against 3xSRM6 Centurion. 35 points of pinpoint alpha + 27 area damage+10 pinpoint.
Still, I would not put XL in a Centurion - and I mastered all the variants. Even with XL300 and full torso armor, the Cent-D felt eXtremeLy vulnerable.

#12 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

I would downgrade the srm6s to srm4s and upgrade the AC/2 to an UAC/5 - especially now, as the srms were nerfed. I always had the feeling, that srm6s lacked a bit of accuracy and tended to send 2 missiles wild. Artemis doesnt improve this a lot - I think I have seen a video, where this was tested quite in depth.

#13 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the post and analysis! I'm a big fan of these builds. :lol: I've been meaning to test a similar variant with a 250 standard engine, 1 SRM 6, and 2 SSRM 2s. Mostly because I'm a team player in the PUG world and want to have some viability 1v1 against speedsters (tracking on the 9A is pretty poor), while still being able to squeeze off missiles against Cravens and other ECM builds. What are your thoughts on something like that?

Also that build should have 11 DHS, but none of my other 9A builds have the criticals for Ferro-Fibrous armor so I'd currently have to run just 10. Link.

Edited by Lyoncet, 25 March 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#14 Hurricane Bob

• Pip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 24 March 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Thanks Bob! Yes; sadly with all the changes still going on inside MWO there is no Build to Rule Them All because tomorrow that build could be WTFPWNED the next day after a hotpatch, ya know?

you never know when the nerf hammer hits :lol:

#15 Smk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 25 March 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

At least now a Hunchback with AC20 has a fighting chance against 3xSRM6 Centurion. 35 points of pinpoint alpha + 27 area damage+10 pinpoint.
Still, I would not put XL in a Centurion - and I mastered all the variants. Even with XL300 and full torso armor, the Cent-D felt eXtremeLy vulnerable.

XL300 doesn't cut it for the D. Go 360+. I think I used a 370. You gotta turn that thing into a pseudo light. For the other two variants I would use a standard engine. The Centurion is deceptively durable. I've seen them take ridiculous amounts of damage before going down. Putting an XL on that takes that bonus away.

#16 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Nice build. I watched this before and am quite impressed with it's potential.

It's a shame that this build cannot make you survive as long nor make you fight to the point of being a zombie. That's the only reason why I turned down this build, because I can't cope with the idea of engine failure to a crippling side torso hit.

#17 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Any thoughts about a similar build but on a Dragon 1C chassis? I know that there are fewer missile hardpoints and the lasers are on torso and left arm instead of both torso, but it's faster and has 10 tons extra out of the box. Otherwise I am about ready to sell two hunchies (H&J) for the Cent Grimm variant.

Edited by Blue Frog, 01 April 2013 - 02:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users