Community Warfare: How To Do It Right.

28 replies to this topic

#1 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm sure KingCobra will be by with some wonderful screen-shots from 3025 and how the IS Map and Lobby worked in that. Honestly, I think that this was an almost perfect system that would only need some modernization to make it a truly AWESOME experience.

Building on that:

Planet type: If it's an ice world, limit the maps in the rotation on it to those that are cold. Temperate world, all maps will be in the rotation. Desert...well, you get the idea.

Planetary conditions:
Gravity: Boosts or hinders jump jets, ballistic and missile systems (range mostly)
Gauss: Boosts or hinders electronics: ECM (and future EW components, modules) and missile targeting systems.

Still working on my second cup of coffee, so I'll expand/revise this as my brain begins to function.

Thoughts?

#2 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I can only say thanks for the appreciation of all the older Incarnations of the MechWarrior IP.BT 3025 was truly a wonderful game it had its flaws like all games do but it kept you captivated for hours playing its many various battle types and in depth content. PGI can take examples of this game and many bt/tt/MechWarrior older games and see why the fans and players still to this day play them. There were many great examples of planetary and Solaris type leagues for PGI to explore BTU/3025/MWL/NBT/MWA/SL/VA/CBT/and many more that MechWarrior players and fans played for years with fun and excitement every match they dropped. Anyone doing drop decks? for MWO yet? :) :D ---> Posted Image

Edited by KingCobra, 24 March 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#3 Khanublikhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Maps for all known worlds within the Inner Sphere should be climate appropriate.
Undiscovered (random) worlds could be any random climate map.

Personally speaking, I would also like to see unique maps representing specific places on specific planets. I say this, because I think it would be a disservice to the timeline not to have "historic battlegrounds" not properly represented. This is why I believe there should be a change of emphasis at some point for the developers in moving away from tech (new mechs and weapons) to a greater turnaround in map creation.

I think different gravity worlds has been suggested in a Q&A and considered a low priority / ruled out.

Edited by Khanublikhan, 24 March 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#4 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 24 March 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

Anyone doing drop decks? for MWO yet? :) :D --->

We are doing mock drops based off of mpbt:3025. Pretty much the zones are represented by the map = faction.
10% for a win / - 10% for loss

#5 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

im sorry but this type of community driven attempt as fun is not allowed in general chat

#6 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostKhanublikhan, on 24 March 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Maps for all known worlds within the Inner Sphere should be climate appropriate.
Undiscovered (random) worlds could be any random climate map.

Personally speaking, I would also like to see unique maps representing specific places on specific planets. I say this, because I think it would be a disservice to the timeline not to have "historic battlegrounds" not properly represented. This is why I believe there should be a change of emphasis at some point for the developers in moving away from tech (new mechs and weapons) to a greater turnaround in map creation.

I think different gravity worlds has been suggested in a Q&A and considered a low priority / ruled out.

After raising a few kids of my own I see (I think different gravity worlds has been suggested in a Q&A and considered a low priority / ruled out.) possible but like most 80's through 2000 kids PGI's DEVS will do this(Take the path of least resistance and the easiest way out) of making a complex in-depth entertaining game I could be wrong but in todays world and markets its not about quality or longevity its all about the MONEY. Posted Image

#7 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

We've been doing a Civil war.
http://housemarik.en...om/newscampaign

#8 PsychoTurtle

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDana Point, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Here's how you do it right. Everybody just buy the board game, and we'll all use MW:O as a chat room to run a MASSIVE worldwide campaign. Dibs on the Jenner

Edited by PsychoTurtle, 24 March 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#9 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostPsychoTurtle, on 24 March 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Here's how you do it right. Everybody just buy the board game, and we'll all use MW:O as a chat room to run a MASSIVE worldwide campaign. Dibs on the Jenner

Bah! I posted before you...I GET THE JENNER! :)

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 March 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Road...please do go into more details....looks very cool!

#10 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

don't forget moons. we are getting a moonbase map soon.

wonder how that will play into CW. maybe each planet has 3 capture points. best 2/3 wins the planet. one of the capture points may be on the planet's moon.

#11 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Roadbeer, 24 March 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#12 PsychoTurtle

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDana Point, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostLordRush, on 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Bah! I posted before you...I GET THE JENNER! :)

Yes...but did you call "Dibs"?

#13 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 March 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

lol I loved that game...so did the Scorps...nice to see a SS of one of ma boyz up their! We were one of the few units who had 4 lvl 99's

Edited by LordRush, 24 March 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#14 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 March 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Dats cool :)

#15 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostLordRush, on 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Road...please do go into more details....looks very cool!

We're actually in round 2. We had to pause while the effects of ELO and how it affected sync dropping were determined. Basically there is a declaration phase where each district announces it's attacks and has a week to organize attack/defense drops it with the other district(s).
Drops are best of 5, synced using 425 Ton, 475 ton, 600 ton, then 475 ton and 600 ton until best of 5 is determined. Some planets have infected satellites or atmospheric conditions that prohibit the use of ECM or Streak during the drops. After the matches have rolled out. Map is updated for the next round.

Super mad props to Joe Luck and Stingr4y for putting this together for us.

Edited by Roadbeer, 24 March 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#16 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

We're actually in round 2. We had to pause while the effects of ELO and how it affected sync dropping were determined. Basically there is a declaration phase where each district announces it's attacks and has a week to organize attack/defense drops it with the other district(s).
Drops are best of 5, synced using 425 Ton, 475 ton, 600 ton, then 475 ton and 600 ton until best of 5 is determined. Some planets have infected satellites or atmospheric conditions that prohibit the use of ECM or Streak during the drops. After the matches have rolled out. Map is updated for the next round.

Would be cool if house davion got something like this going on!

#17 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostCubivorre, on 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Would be cool if house davion got something like this going on!

hmmmm.....

#18 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 24 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Any way to know how this all evolved and the requirements needed to begin something like this?
I mean..really, this could be a evolving thing that ALL Houses could get into.

#19 Firesteel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Deep Underground Near a Volcano

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I would be perfectly happy with a system similar to Chromehounds/Armored Core V's warfare system minus the wipes.

Both games had persistent worlds that allowed units to take over various areas either through single battles (ACV though I have had far less experience with this game) or through long series of attacking the same area repeatedly (Chromehounds).

Both games also featured a highly robust squad/unit system that allowed the pooling of resources, trading of designs, parts, and money, along with an excellent lobby system that allowed easy rendezvous with fellow squad members.

If we get close to my memories of Chromehounds with this game, I will be extremely happy.

#20 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostLordRush, on 24 March 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Any way to know how this all evolved and the requirements needed to begin something like this?
I mean..really, this could be a evolving thing that ALL Houses could get into.

Well, Marik has a history of fighting itself when it's not fighting the other houses, so It's kind of cool we have this to pass our time with.

Back on to the main topic. I was using 3025 as the Benchmark I'm going to hold CW to in this game :)

Other things I really liked in it were:

Some planets were limited to weight, so you could only bring mechs to that party that were up to that weight class.
Travel time between planets: This wasn't really that bad, and forced you to decide if you were going to leave the assault on one planet to go help defend another.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users