172 replies to this topic

#121 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostBelorion, on 29 March 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

and here:

http://www.polygon.c...ild-and-faction

Although I am not sure I am too happy about a Premium account required to be in a merc corp, so hopefully they don't implement that.

The wordin on that article confused me.

Based off the way its worded you either need premium time to be in a merc corp, or you need premium time to participate in community warfare at all.

Some clarification would be nice on that.

Either way its goin to be sucktastic. Merc corp founders would need to pay money to start their company (not a problem) and pay continually to stay in it? Thats messed up.

#122 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

The paywall was something I mentioned in my first "troll post". I think it's what world of tanks does. They have to make money somehow, but premium time will get pricey for any vaguely competitive player. Still, this is a better solution for supporting the game than consumables or other overtly grindy mechanics that edge towards p2w. It'd be nice if they dropped premium pricing to compensate for the fact that it's going to be required to participate in a lot of their social functions.

Edited by Shumabot, 29 March 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#123 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hmmm. 7 pages and no mention of this little tidbit:

Creative director Bryan Ekman also said that the team is exploring the idea of pirate-type of Lone Wolf that doesn't care for either faction and thoroughly enjoys gaining glory from harassing both.

That means you won't be choosing Inner Sphere states. Your choice is likely to be Inner Sphere or Clan.

This could mean decision time for quite a few people.

#124 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Edited by Shumabot, 29 March 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#125 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostVoidsinger, on 29 March 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Creative director Bryan Ekman also said that the team is exploring the idea of pirate-type of Lone Wolf that doesn't care for either faction and thoroughly enjoys gaining glory from harassing both.
That means you won't be choosing Inner Sphere states. Your choice is likely to be Inner Sphere or Clan.

Was going to mention it, but I'm not big on conspiracy theories. Could easily be a misquote or a misunderstanding.

#126 Solidussnake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

So basically PGI just told me to quit playing the game till after Halloween. I'll probably buy another 100$ worth the MC at the end of dec if they have a 20% MC sale like last year.

At this rate we are not going to see the clans at all until the end of the year. Unless they plan to announce them when faction warfare is released.

Does PGI even get that now at this time. The house's weren't fighting each other. They were fighting the clans.

Edited by Solidussnake, 29 March 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#127 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I really, really hope they're not planning to implement merc companies as described. I definitely don't mind paying a one-time setup fee, but requiring premium time? That's a bad idea. Basically that's just going to push everyone to join the houses or clans and artificially reduce the number of operational merc companies. I mean, why would you basically force mercs into a subscription plan? Are you planning to provide additional perks for them? And if so, you're opening a whole new pandora's box.

Mind you, it's early and any real qualitative discussion is probably premature. However, put me firmly in the "don't like that idea" column. I'm not adverse to throwing money at a game I like. However, I'm likely to throw more money at it if I'm not forced to pay what amounts to a subscription.

#128 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Dear lord, this is it? Are we sure they aren't revealing anything else?

I was really expecting some concrete info on the clans, a timeline to implementation, or hell even the final IS assault reveal. This is just.... blah. More vague dates for features we already know about.

How extremely disappointing.

#129 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostTerror Teddy, on 29 March 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

If we get faction camo I want C-Bill symbols all over my mechs.

If you're gonna cover your mech in c-bill symbols you really should be piloting a green Marauder. :)

#130 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostVoidsinger, on 29 March 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Perhaps it will be something like this (note this is just speculation on my part):

http://mwomercs.com/...40#entry1467240

"The Lone Wolves faction are also made up of PUGgers, but they chose to be there. They will drop against other lone wolves for the most part. Grouping is optional (or possibly not an option) and the cap (if grouping is an option) is set low, like 2 (or 3 or whatever). Lone Wolves will also be pulled in to fill the gaps in house faction drops and merc corp drops when needed. As an incentive, Lone Wolves will receive an additional X% additional XP and C-Bills per drop."

#131 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostAsakara, on 29 March 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Perhaps it will be something like this (note this is just speculation on my part):

http://mwomercs.com/...40#entry1467240

"The Lone Wolves faction are also made up of PUGgers, but they chose to be there. They will drop against other lone wolves for the most part. Grouping is optional (or possibly not an option) and the cap (if grouping is an option) is set low, like 2 (or 3 or whatever). Lone Wolves will also be pulled in to fill the gaps in house faction drops and merc corp drops when needed. As an incentive, Lone Wolves will receive an additional X% additional XP and C-Bills per drop."

lol, they dont wanna split the playerbase with pug vs premade now theyre gonna split it with paid/unpaid. 3pv, mixed, 1st pv, all kinds of ****.

#132 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Interesting, especially combined with the knowledge that there are six Mechs done and waiting in the wings. I wonder if CW and the Clans will both be fully functional around September, making CW more about the Clan Invasion now rather than IS struggles as it seemed to be before. Makes sense if you take the comment about the Devs just thinking about implementing Lone Wolf stuff, rather than planning it all along- players choose IS or Clans, or Lone Wolf, then the Faction/specific Clan. IS and Clan still fight amonst themselves, but now there is a simplified Us vs Them main conflict.

#133 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

lol, they dont wanna split the playerbase with pug vs premade now theyre gonna split it with paid/unpaid. 3pv, mixed, 1st pv, all kinds of ****.

From what is implied in the link posted above (LINK) it seems that Player Run Units (aka Merc Corps, Clans, etc...) will be the premium ones. It also seems to imply that people who join a house or play as a lone wolf seem will be the freemium ones. At least that is my interpretation of it.

FTL:

"We've identified three kinds of players," Piranha Games creative director Bryan Ekman adds. There's the lone wolf, "the guy who doesn't care about role playing, being a part of any organzational structure whatsoever.

"Then we have factions, and factions are NPC factions. They belong to the universe, they're a part of the lore. These are the great houses of BattleTech.

"These guys participate in territory control in a more passive way. Their matches affect the universe, but indirectly.

"And then you have the Merc Corps. These are the guilds, these are the clans, these are the guys who come together, band together, fight together and play together and actually want to control as much territory as they can through their actions.

The lone wolf play style is what players currently have in the game today; the NPC factions will be free-to-play; the Merc Corps, on the other hand, will be monetized. "We're looking at possibly charging a one-time setup fee," Ekman said. "This is just to make sure there's not a flood of one-player corps.

"We really want people who participate in this to be as engaged as possible. And we'll probably require them to have a premium time account, as a kind of dedication level." That premium time account can be purchased in quantities ranging from daily to monthly to bi-annually, with the 30-day pack costing $10.

Edited by Asakara, 29 March 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#134 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostAsakara, on 29 March 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

From what is implied in the link posted above (LINK) it seems that Player Run Units (aka Merc Corps, Clans, etc...) will be the premium ones.

according to this:

View PostProsperity Park, on 29 March 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

• The Article says they will charge a one-time setup fee for the establishment of a Merc Corp to prevent everyone from starting their own. That means players won't have to pay to join them, just pay a 1-time fee to create them.
  • If they planned to charge money from people to "join" Merc corps, then that would not function to reduce the number of Merc Corps that people create as a one-man-company, because creating a company would cost as much as joining one, since you have to join the company you create.
  • Based on their statement, the way to discourage vast numbers of one-man-companies is to charge a fee to create the Corp initially and then anyone can join it for free.
Also, the Developers will not force people to maintain Premium Accounts in order to be in a Merc Corp.

The Moderation Team is being notified of this thread because of people's tendencies to post inaccurate information about how this game is being developed and priced.

no

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 29 March 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#135 Voidsinger

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 29 March 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Interesting, especially combined with the knowledge that there are six Mechs done and waiting in the wings. I wonder if CW and the Clans will both be fully functional around September, making CW more about the Clan Invasion now rather than IS struggles as it seemed to be before. Makes sense if you take the comment about the Devs just thinking about implementing Lone Wolf stuff, rather than planning it all along- players choose IS or Clans, or Lone Wolf, then the Faction/specific Clan. IS and Clan still fight amonst themselves, but now there is a simplified Us vs Them main conflict.

I agree.

For those steeped in the Battletech lore, this might seem blasphemus, but they are going out to a more general audience that doesn't really care much about such details.

They do it this way, and come Tukkayid, they get to do a legitimate split into all the Clan factions and the IS factions.

Part of doing this might be that you are forced to make a choice Clan or IS. Lone Wolves will not be a desirable choice.

They've opened up more questions than they have answered.

#136 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostMrPenguin, on 29 March 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Let it be known that Jade Kitsune has literally died from over reacting.

If only we could be so lucky. :)

#137 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 March 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

according to this:

no

And the "Get the story straight" stage between Mods and Devs begins another fun round.

#138 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

If only they actually announced these things to their community instead of trusting us to be reasonable at the end of the game of telephone. If only the respected their own community in the slightest.

#139 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostShumabot, on 29 March 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

If only they actually announced these things to their community instead of trusting us to be reasonable at the end of the game of telephone. If only the respected their own community in the slightest.

Yeah, see the third person view shenanigans

#140 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 29 March 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

according to this:

no

On a side note, Prosperity updated the post you quoted by crossing out the following text:

"Also, the Developers will not force people to maintain Premium Accounts in order to be in a Merc Corp."

He then posted:

View PostProsperity Park, on 29 March 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Roadbeer said:

PP, love you man for all the sustinance you provide K Town...however, straight from the article...

Well, if that's the case then it contradicts from what I heard from them earlier...

I know.. let it begin anew.

So it seems that may be a "yes".

Edited by Asakara, 29 March 2013 - 01:58 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users