Yen-Lo-Wang

21 replies to this topic

#1 Dehamsteryzator

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I wondered what to do with him and i came up with a build i really like and easyly have good score with him.

YEN-LO-WANG

Hes a bit low on ammo, but just dont waste it on lights IMHO and its more then you need.
What do you think?

Edited by Dehamsteryzator, 31 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#2 franoi

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

If a lucky crit hits that ammo you'll be dead in an instant, id move it to the legs just to be sure. I don't know what role this mech has to play on the battlefield but if you intent a fire support role from a distance id much rather take normal medium lasers because of a little bit more range and use the freed up tonnage for more ammunition. But i never piloted a Yen-Lo-Wang so i havent got much experience with this chassis.

#3 Dehamsteryzator

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Well I use it only in PUGs to grind CBills and its great to browl with slower haevy mechs. ;) But for real when playing smart i go on close range with everything below awsome and do at least 470dmg and 2 kills. But Im talking about PUGs, when competie play will kick in I doubt he will be of much use.

#4 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ac20 is better than 2uac5 without ammo and no survivability XL.

#5 Dehamsteryzator

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

so 1 ballistic slot gos to waste?

#6 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Definitely move that ammo to the legs if you actually have it in your chest. Keeping ammo in an XL chest is just asking for it to cook off and take the entire mech with it. Also, 3 tons between two UAC5s seems pretty light.

I tried the UAC5 thing when I first got the Wang. Not bad, but I grew away from it. The AC20 feels much better suited for the mech.

The thing with the UAC5s is that you need to constantly face the opponent square on to keep up the barrage. The UAC5s thrive on constantly pelting someone to death while trading blows, effectively winning DPS race after DPS race. Great if you're an big ol'Atlas or a 3xUAC5 Illya/Jagger, less great if you are a 50 ton medium with a easy to focus off arm cannon hanging from your side.

The AC20 dumps all it's ammo in one big hit. What this means for the Wang is you can launch your shot, swivel around to put the shield in front of you to absorb all the damage in an expendable place, then swing back to hit again.

Personally, I like to run my YLW with the oldschool Endo, Ferro, AC20, 4 tons of ammo, 2xMLAS and a STD250. I like STD engines on my Cents for the most part, especially the YLW where I tend to wear away the entire left half of the mech before the end of a match keeping that arm on for as long as possible.

Looking at your build though, I see you like speed and the MPLAS, so I cooked this up for you.

300XL, AC20, decent ammo supply, and I retained the pulse lasers. Personally, I like the extra range of regular MLAS, but I think the MPLAS can actually work well with the AC20, anything that lets you do damage fast and twist away to save the cannon arm.

The AC20 does have significantly less range than the UAC5s, but if you're plinking away with the UAC5s at long range with only 75 rounds you're probably wasting them anyway. You do need to make sure you place your AC20 shots, missing them is painful when a long recycle time. But learning to nail specific sections of a mech will make you a better pilot in the end.

If you like what you got, that's great. But you may want to give the AC20 a try sometime, I think it's the better bet.

#7 Slabinsky

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVancouver B.C

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

This is my Yen build its fast with speed tweak and the ammo isn't a concern if you pick your targets well and dont rush in. I average about 400-450 dmg a round usually about 2-3 kills. I try to stay back and poke with the Er large and only use the AC when finishing or when being engaged. Weaken from far away with laser and start butchering hardpoints with the ac20.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...956f9ffb628ca63

#8 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm actually trying out swapping the AC/20 and 4 tons of ammo for a Gauss rifle and 3 tons of ammo. My idea is that the greater the range at which you can deal consistent damage, the more damage you can do in a match and the more c-bills you can obtain. The Gauss slug also travels a bit faster, making it easier to hit lighter, faster targets.

#9 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 31 March 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

I'm actually trying out swapping the AC/20 and 4 tons of ammo for a Gauss rifle and 3 tons of ammo. My idea is that the greater the range at which you can deal consistent damage, the more damage you can do in a match and the more c-bills you can obtain. The Gauss slug also travels a bit faster, making it easier to hit lighter, faster targets.

Just watch out for it going BOOM and taking your side torso with it ;)

#10 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

^ Yeah, I tried using a gauss in my YLW but it really didn't work out. Making your already vulnerable right arm a ticking time bomb is a huge liability. Can't really beat the AC20, 2ML STD250/255 endo/ferro build. Play your cards right and its just wreck, wreck, wreck.

Edited by Op4blushift, 31 March 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#11 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 31 March 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Just watch out for it going BOOM and taking your side torso with it :)

Well, at least in this case your right torso doesn't actually have anything in it assuming you're running a standard engine. Except possibly an AMS.

#12 chenkTheTank

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 31 March 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Definitely move that ammo to the legs if you actually have it in your chest. Keeping ammo in an XL chest is just asking for it to cook off and take the entire mech with it. Also, 3 tons between two UAC5s seems pretty light.

I tried the UAC5 thing when I first got the Wang. Not bad, but I grew away from it. The AC20 feels much better suited for the mech.

The thing with the UAC5s is that you need to constantly face the opponent square on to keep up the barrage. The UAC5s thrive on constantly pelting someone to death while trading blows, effectively winning DPS race after DPS race. Great if you're an big ol'Atlas or a 3xUAC5 Illya/Jagger, less great if you are a 50 ton medium with a easy to focus off arm cannon hanging from your side.

The AC20 dumps all it's ammo in one big hit. What this means for the Wang is you can launch your shot, swivel around to put the shield in front of you to absorb all the damage in an expendable place, then swing back to hit again.

Personally, I like to run my YLW with the oldschool Endo, Ferro, AC20, 4 tons of ammo, 2xMLAS and a STD250. I like STD engines on my Cents for the most part, especially the YLW where I tend to wear away the entire left half of the mech before the end of a match keeping that arm on for as long as possible.

Looking at your build though, I see you like speed and the MPLAS, so I cooked this up for you.

300XL, AC20, decent ammo supply, and I retained the pulse lasers. Personally, I like the extra range of regular MLAS, but I think the MPLAS can actually work well with the AC20, anything that lets you do damage fast and twist away to save the cannon arm.

The AC20 does have significantly less range than the UAC5s, but if you're plinking away with the UAC5s at long range with only 75 rounds you're probably wasting them anyway. You do need to make sure you place your AC20 shots, missing them is painful when a long recycle time. But learning to nail specific sections of a mech will make you a better pilot in the end.

If you like what you got, that's great. But you may want to give the AC20 a try sometime, I think it's the better bet.

Yes please put the ammo in your legs, I love finding it there :wacko:

#13 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

I edited my previous post because I misremembered some of my YLW build specifics.

XL300
AC/20 (6T)
2 MLs
DHS, Endo

Thanks Solomon Ward for calling me on it.

Edited by NRP, 01 April 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#14 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostNRP, on 01 April 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

XL300 (107 kph!)
AC/20 (7T)
2 MLs
DHS, Endo, FF

Shoot and scoot. I just love the simplicity of the YLW. Your only job is to protect your right side. Get used to firing on the run, and you will wreck, wreck, wreck.

Dunno where you have the crit space for that :wacko:

#15 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Running a standard engine on my YLW and no explosive ammo, so I don't have to worry about the exploding gauss outright killing me. I need to run the configuration more, but I think there might be enough internal structure available on the 'mech to keep really bad explosion damage from happening.

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

I had a really good weekend in my YLW. Finally mastered it.

A 107 kph AC/20 is something no other mech can do as far as I know. Talk about HIT and run!

#17 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I've got over 300k experience now in my YLW and I have to say my favorite config is:

Standard 255
DHS
Endo/FF
4 tons of AC 20 ammo
1 AC 20

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e13b7024bbc48b

90.9 KPH speed tweaked, a standard engine, enough ammo to matter. Generally pulls 300-800 dmg per game, depending on what kind of night I'm having. I love having a standard engine in this and going zombie mode on people after finally losing my arm :D

#18 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 01 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Dunno where you have the crit space for that :D

Was wondering the same... Any chance you could toss up a smurfy's link for that build NPR? I run similar with YLW but can't seem to find the room to carry that much ammo. Prolly cause I carry a pair of DHS and only one fits internal on the engine (295), but I'd be curious to see how you squeeze all of that in. And you're right - YLW at 100+ kph is a beast. You cannot ignore it, and it's hard to keep it in front of you. Any durability you lose without the standard engine is more than made up for in speed.

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Sure.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...57d7448d71eba49

#20 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

View Postfranoi, on 31 March 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

If a lucky crit hits that ammo you'll be dead in an instant, id move it to the legs just to be sure. I don't know what role this mech has to play on the battlefield but if you intent a fire support role from a distance id much rather take normal medium lasers because of a little bit more range and use the freed up tonnage for more ammunition. But i never piloted a Yen-Lo-Wang so i havent got much experience with this chassis.

Thing to remember about Yen Lo Wang is that Kai Allard-Liao had the writer on his side in every fight. Just saying....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users