#1 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hello,

I come from WOT and play a bunch of FPS games online. How different will this game be compared to them. It looks like a lot of fun. I signed up for beta and am in pending status. Would just like to get some insight on transitioning from regular fps, and WOT to this.

thanks

#2 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

well unlike Wot a Light mech can hurt a Assult mech just as easly as heavy can because all the weapons are the same

Edited by Xantars, 10 June 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#3 Fear Radick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

This would be considered more of a tactical shooter than most fps. You have to take into account where your target is damaged, where you are damaged as well as weapon status. It's much slower paced and more deliberate than the twitchy fps most people are used to.

#4 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Well I have played WOT and am familiar with the slower pace and aiming at certain points. Also tactics seem a lot more necessary as well as map familiarity and situational awareness. "twitchy" fps arcade shooters not so much for me. I play BF3 and dabble in some free to play online games.

I like the tactical aspect and customization that this game looks like it will have. Hopefully it will be a well balanced game with lots of replay value.

#5 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Another big factor is learning to watch your heat. But yeah it is more tactical and slower placed. Unlike most FPS games MWO does not have respawn in at least most of its modes. But really you're going to have to do a lot of thinking when loading out your mech and tweaking it to your play style too. Do you want to decrease your weight by switching to an extralight engine and is it worth the risk of the bigger size going into your side torsos? Do you really want that big AC20 for the damage and risk the ammo box getting hit and exploding inside your mech, or do you want to spend the extra weight to but a CASE system on the ammo? Lots of things to think about.

#6 Tanos

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationGermany, Ulm

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hello

The main difference to WOT is: no Tiers. All Mechs use the same Weapon Systems, which do damage no matter what Mech you pilot. For Example, a medium laser does 5 points of damage, to an Atlas as well as against a Hunchback or Jenner. sure the Atlas can take a lot more beating because it can carry more armor, but it is considerably slower than lighter Mechs and the more weapons (and stronger weapons) you sport, the more heat is produced. And a shutdown due to heat will kill you as fast as an AC/20 hit to the Mechhead.

Compared to WOT every weightclass will be useful and you wont get the beloved: "bounced off!"

#7 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Also no gold ammo. Hopefully it stays that way, unless some of the rich Steiner folks make some gold LRMs just to look pimp... those I'd be okay with.... and jewel encrusted autocannon rounds.

#8 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the input. You guys just make it sound even better. I play WOT pretty competitively, and have a few top tiers. Being able to play light mechs, med mechs, and heavies will be lots of fun.

Yes watching the heat thing will also take some getting used to. Yet another thing to keep up with..lol. It seems like there are tons of customizations available.

#9 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

So you play WoT competitively? Basically, you have the necessary skills to be a better than average player straight off the bat.

Situational awareness, aiming for specific spots on an enemy, roles of each weight class (except all lights are AMX 13 in strength), defensive driving/positioning/angling, abusing terrain/map features, and hopefully (these three are usually lacking), the ability to reposition to compensate for a weak/failing flank, communication, and the knowledge/planning of how to escape from a failing front while outgunned and maybe outnumbered.

The only thing you'll be lacking is the knowledge of some weapons/mechs/equipment/pilotskills and their little little nuances.

Edited by Afoxi, 10 June 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#10 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDjevelens Bakende Kanal

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Just grab a Hunchback and get stuck in when the game's out. Trust me, you'll have fun. Don't worry about 'metagame' or other nonsense yet - that needs time to develop. Pick a mech you think looks cool, get a feel for it, then experiment.

#11 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Can you only have 1 mech at a time, or can you have a "garage" full like WOT?

#12 Torcip

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

If you have the skills to play WoT at a competent level then you won't have a problem with MW:O. If you play this game like a regular FPS, you will rage quit before the first day is over.

There is a garage, but how that works specifically and how many we can store is not known for sure.

Edited by Torcip, 10 June 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#13 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Depends on how mech Variants work, really. Something only Devs and Beta Testers know at this stage.

#14 hermione

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

i believe you can eventually have 8 mechs, do not quote me though.

#15 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'm assuming you will be able to buy hangar slots with P-Bills, just like in tanks.

#16 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

cool. ready to play now <_< :)

#17 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Postrazorkill12, on 10 June 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Hello,

I come from WOT and play a bunch of FPS games online. How different will this game be compared to them. It looks like a lot of fun. I signed up for beta and am in pending status. Would just like to get some insight on transitioning from regular fps, and WOT to this.

thanks

Read this thread>> http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/

#18 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostZynk, on 10 June 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

yes, thank you, I read this prior to posting. I wanted to get a feel for the game and community alike, as well as introduce myself.

#19 Otto Carius

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

im in the same boat as OP. WoT player with a few top tiers, starting to get bored, and found this cant wait to get started

#20 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Nice, I am TheHasegawaEffect on Tanks. <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users