First Battletech/Mechwarrior computer game, experiences...

96 replies to this topic

#1 dradiin

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

So with todays big HELLYEAH ! I thought back to my very first introduction to the Battletech universe, i have to say if it were not for that game i would have stayed a hardcore football jock and not gone the route of gaming geek i am now.

For me it was the Crescent Hawks inception that took me by the throat and held my attention for months on end, playing and replaying until i discovered the table top game and its miniatures.

I for one wish for one aspect from that game, Manpack 2 shot inferno SRM launchers and ejection seats where once you eject your on foot and very very vulnerable. I know this will not be apart of MWO, i want it to be, i wish it to be, but i am a realist and know that this is a far fetched dream.

Anywho, back on topic, once i was hooked there was no looking back, i played every single Mech simulation game from that day forward, even the Earthsiege/Starsiege franchise. At one point i even purchased an original X-box along with the behemoth 150 button controller for the game Steel Battalions (hardest game i ever played, even harder then Demons Souls).

So please tell me/us your first introduction to the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe.

#2 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

As I am only 21 years of age... I wasn´t able to start with Mechwarrior 1. But my father was a game addict aswell and played Mechwarrior 2 with me. After this... all the other games followed and in between I read all of the novels - I even purchased first edition of every single book - except the Dark Age series which is not distributed in Germany anymore. I also tried the board game but there were not many players. And playing this board game alone is rather difficult. So I sticked to the video games and sometimes when I do have a retro feeling I play through Crescent Hawk and MW1... and everything related to the universe. Similar to you I also played Earthsiege ( only Earthsiege 2) though and also Starsiege. Still do have the orginal copy of every game except MW1 and Crescent Hawk. :)

#3 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

i got brought in on mechwarrior 2 at the age of 4 XD

for a while i was on 3, then 4, then i realized 4 sucked, and inched my way back through 3 and then 2.

#4 punisher

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

Infocom Presents...The Crescent Hawks Revenge!

I still remember that scratchy voice coming through the speaker of my Tandy 1000ex.

#5 alaric

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

I actually started with the Table top Game - The Battletech Boxed game. I started playing it when it first came out. I have a ton of Game stuff/books/novels.

#6 grim jim

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Started with "Crescent Hawks Inception". That **** maze... /shakefist

#7 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

If I may go off-topic here for a second: Another unique thing about the battletech-franchise. Theres youngblood like me with 21 years and some even younger folks and hardened veterans living along in peace. Well... until they meet on the battlefield. But for now... :)

#8 easy0n

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

I got introduced to MechWarrior through my friend Jason first with Mechwarrior on the Snes, then Mechwarrior2/Netmech on windows. I remember getting that Sidewinder, I thought I was so badass. We would play on the local hobby store's computers over lan for hours and hours. I think I played through the Ghost Bears Legacy expansion hundreds of times after it came out.

#9 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

I actually started with a totally different Mech game, Earthsiege. It was excellent. It introduced me to the awesome world of heavy piloted robots duking it out with lasers, missiles and cannons. I still love the game and have the box....somewhere.

At the time, I had a friend that played Mechwarrior and in school, we would talk and compare bout both games and our experiences. That was how I got to know about Battletech. Great days...

And of course, the Battletech cartoon! So when Mechwarrior 2 came out, I had my dad buy it for me and...well I fell in love and still am.

#10 easy0n

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Oh man I forgot the Battletech cartoon. Remember the 'Enhanced Vision' they gave the main character that was like the 'enhanced vision mode' for the PC mechwarrior 2 where everything was just an outline ?

#11 sorcerror

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Mechwarrior 2 was my first Battletech game although I think I was already reading the novels then.

I have fond memories of me and a bunch of friends playing MW2 over LAN in some semi-seedy gaming cafe. Tonnage though always seemed to be the critical factor in winning in the PC games, more so than piloting or gunnery skill. So we mostly ended up choosing Daishis, although personally I preferred the Kodiak. Hopefully the devs of Mechwarrior Online will make sure that light mechs actually have a purpose on the battlefield instead of just being cannon fodder.

#12 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Got started with "Mechwarrior 3", the intro included some lore and I got interested in the universe, so I began searching for other MW sites and found "Patrick's Battletech Archive"(anyone remember that site?) and went over the treasure trove he had there. I talked to a friend who saw me looking at it and he told me that he had the board game, so that friday night we played.

I had a Thunderbolt that got a headshot against a Rifleman(lost the miniature, but still have the record sheet). It was a good night.

2012 looks like it is gonna be a great year for Battletech/Mechwarrior!

I also remember that awesome intro MW3 had:"It is 31st Century, and Mankind is once again at war..."

#13 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

My first big dip was Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. I'll always love the Kodiak thanks to the theft mission in that game.

I did play a bit of 3050 and there was an SNES mechwarrior game I rented once, but Mech 2: Mercs will always have that special place in my heart.

I missed out on Mech3.

In about 2003-2004 at an old job I worked at we all played classic battletech when we weren't busy. I will forever love classic battletech more than the mechwarrior games because of that.. XD WAs that Btech game that got me reading the lore.

Snord's Irregulars ftw. I hope I can bolt speakers to my mech and blast old style rock and roll....

Edited by tyra, 31 October 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#14 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

View Posteasy0n, on 31 October 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Oh man I forgot the Battletech cartoon. Remember the 'Enhanced Vision' they gave the main character that was like the 'enhanced vision mode' for the PC mechwarrior 2 where everything was just an outline ?

Aha, yes, Enhance Imaging you mean? :)

Awesome game is SUPER AWESOME.

#15 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm 22, and I was about 6 when my eldest brother built for my dad and the rest of the family our first computer. He installed a ATI 3D Rage graphics card. With that came a free copy of Mechwarrior 2. When my eyes fell on the front cover of the diskcase it was love at first sight looking at the Timberwolf walking out of the flames. I wasn't very good at the game, and no one played it with me, so I did what I could, and I loved every minute of it. My first real experience were I knew what I was doing in the battle tech universe was with mechcommander. That I played to death, and it got me interested in the lore of the universe.

Since then I've played all the games multiple times. Still have a good chuckle when I play Mechwarrior 2 and remember back to when I was 6, having fun for hours not knowing what the heck I was doing, good times.

Edited by alan grant, 31 October 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#16 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:04 PM

View Postphalanx, on 31 October 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

I also remember that awesome intro MW3 had:"It is 31st Century, and Mankind is once again at war..."

I'm always under the impression that they jacked that line from Warhammer 40k universe.

"it is the 41st millenium and there is only War!"...something along those lines :)

#17 Starne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

This is probably heresy or something, but my introduction to the BattleTech 'verse in general was Mech Commander 2.

#18 easy0n

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Both Mech Commander games were very fun so I wouldnt say its heresy. Not enough people got to play it though honestly.

#19 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

A ye toddler of the solemn age of 16 here. When I was really young, my dad played MW2, but he beat it so many times it got old. Just before he picked up MW3, he got StarSiege-I got addicted to that game, and I still carry the DUSHHAAA sound of dual Blasters tearing into a Basilisk in my mind all the time. It's an archetype of games, so natrually I loved MW3 and MW2 and kept coming back for more through the years.

#20 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

At 36 it sounds like I'm nearing the other end of the scale than most so far......

Cresent Hawks Inception was the first Computer game, and I think I've played everything since then. Even "met" Michael Stackpole when he played in the GEnie network. Went by the rank Loremaster due to devouring every bit of info. It's been a long time, and I have forgotten more than I retained, but I remember how fun it was! The Battletech IP , story and lore is perfect for a persistant, online video game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users