Why no solid medium mechs?

133 replies to this topic

#21 Shivus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 02 June 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

I'll just point out that the Cicada is also a medium.

I also notice that the 3 mediums you chose as representative each were 55 tons, so I don't actually know what you mean by "real medium." I get that the 3 'mechs you mentioned are personal favorites, but I hardly think it's damning that they're not in yet.

You do know that the MechLab will allow you to drop a new engine into these machines, yes?

Indeed, people are forgetting that with mechlab you can drop armor and/or weapons from the centurion and hunchback for an upgraded engine, making them closer to a jack or all trades rather than poor man's heavies.

#22 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

here is a personal list of mine that I feel would be great medium mech that would fit just fine in this game.

1.CLINT (a classic that would look great with a new design) http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clint
2.Mercury ll http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mercury_II
3.STARSLAYER http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Starslayer
4.MEN SHEN http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Men_Shen
5.CRAB http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crab
6. HERMES ll (another classic medium mech) http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hermes_II

And thats just a few Id gladly play with if they were in the game.

#23 Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'd love to see the Crab. I LOVE the 'mech.

#24 Shivus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

I do indeed want a crab in the game. Two of the next four mechs had best be crab and king crab.

#25 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

I understand the "unseen" but it was my understanding Randall Bills & Catalyst got that squared away. But considering in our group we have 2 books & 3 PDFs that are all different versions from each other. No ERRATA or even a official ruling on which is the current/correct edition, they could have dropped that ball, too.

As far as "most" 3025 mechs being 4/6, Wrong. Of all the 50-55 ton mechs listed in the 3025 RS, how many are 4/6? I will give you a hint, TWO! True there is a 6/9/0 scorpion or a few variants that remove the JJs but they still have mobility. They can both great urban fighters but not a Jack of all Trades role. At 4/6 you are almost always tactically left to "Stand & Deliver" which is a Heavys job. Even in an urban setting without JJS both of those mechs are barely beyond a walking target. Who is gonna choose to fight a Hunchback? Not any lights of mediums.. so only Heavys & Assaults. Who can a Hunchback catch? Not any light or mediums ....... so again only Heavys & Assaults. It has a single area it excels in, static urban defense. If you are reduced to a Static Urban Defense, you have already lost the war & only massive reinforcements can save you.

Nathan

#26 Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Wow. Just... Wow. You can use them as static defense, sure. But you can also flush enemies into ambushes. Or use flanking maneuvers. Or any number of other tactics. And that's with just the Centurion and and Hunchie.

Yes, lights and mediums will avoid them. But that's assuming they know they're there.

#27 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postzuul88, on 02 June 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

I understand the "unseen" but it was my understanding Randall Bills & Catalyst got that squared away. But considering in our group we have 2 books & 3 PDFs that are all different versions from each other. No ERRATA or even a official ruling on which is the current/correct edition, they could have dropped that ball, too.

As far as "most" 3025 mechs being 4/6, Wrong. Of all the 50-55 ton mechs listed in the 3025 RS, how many are 4/6? I will give you a hint, TWO! True there is a 6/9/0 scorpion or a few variants that remove the JJs but they still have mobility. They can both great urban fighters but not a Jack of all Trades role. At 4/6 you are almost always tactically left to "Stand & Deliver" which is a Heavys job. Even in an urban setting without JJS both of those mechs are barely beyond a walking target. Who is gonna choose to fight a Hunchback? Not any lights of mediums.. so only Heavys & Assaults. Who can a Hunchback catch? Not any light or mediums ....... so again only Heavys & Assaults. It has a single area it excels in, static urban defense. If you are reduced to a Static Urban Defense, you have already lost the war & only massive reinforcements can save you.

Nathan
I understand but to defend the Centurion and Hunchback... with the weapon load out these two can carry and the diversity of weapons they can carry, they really dont need speed. their weapons do the talking for them. both these mech have the weapon staying power to stand up to a heavy and really hurt an Assault IF the right pilot is behind the controls. As for speed against light mech or the faster mediums... you dont need it. like I said IF you are a good pilot that can handle the controls of either of these mech, you can pick apart the fast guys with your weapons before they even get a chance to come at you. When it come to a good city fight, id feel very comfortable in either of these mech.

#28 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

You can just pray that the mysterious artemis reveal will be the unseen mechs.

#29 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostSerevn, on 02 June 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

You can just pray that the mysterious artemis reveal will be the unseen mechs.
I myself would love a Longbow or a Scorpion :(

#30 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

View Postzuul88, on 02 June 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

I came on last night after running a A Time of War RPG/TableTop campaign, I have tried not getting to excited about the new MW game . But after getting another email last night, i figured I would come check it out. I was very disappointed to find what mediums they are showing. A hunchback & centurion are a poor mans heavy but there is not any one of the big 3. Griffin, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk are real mediums but we are not even getting one. Two 4/6/0 mechs is just lame, those are mechs no one who likes playing a medium can be excited about. At least the Clans are honest about their Hunchback IIC(which is substantially better) in the 3067 TRO "mechwarriors who drive this are expecting to go out in a blaze of glory because very few survive the engagement"

Please someone correct me and tell me there is going to be true mediums by the time the game launches. So I will have be proved totally wrong in refusing to get excited!!!!!!!!!!

Nathan

1: the centurion is pure awesomeness, how dare you impune it you dirty surrat.
2: the hunchback with an ac 20 or ac 10 or swayback with a horde of lasers is a purpose built mech, its good at what its made for and damn cheap.
3: you neglected to even notice the fastest mech currently listed is a med
4: these arent all of the mechs, theyre just the teasers. expect a slew of stuff anounced at e3, watch that **** on the internet or g4 tv.

View Postzuul88, on 02 June 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Nathan

we arent playing table top. we are actually going to be running and gunning in mwo, not moving hexes up to the enemy to unleash a shot every 10 seconds. sure some little **** might run away, but that just leaves his back turned to you to finish him off in 1 good hit.

#31 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

One word. Mechlab

#32 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 02 June 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

here is a personal list of mine that I feel would be great medium mech that would fit just fine in this game.

1.CLINT (a classic that would look great with a new design) http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clint
2.Mercury ll http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mercury_II
3.STARSLAYER http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Starslayer
4.MEN SHEN http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Men_Shen
5.CRAB http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crab
6. HERMES ll (another classic medium mech) http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hermes_II

And thats just a few Id gladly play with if they were in the game.

ild love to take the starslayer and remove the srm4, upgrade the small laser to a med and add some heat sinks. itld be a beast of a zombie med. the srm 4 ammo and case weight could be invested in more armor, if armors already at max then more speed.

#33 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostGauge, on 02 June 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

It is kinda weird that of the mediums, there're two slow, heavy hitters, and one super crazy fast. Mediums conjure up the balanced mech in my mind, flexible because they have good speed, good firepower, good protection. Hopefully we'll get at leats one more medium that's right up that alley before launch.

Thank you. At least one person got the point I was trying to make, I used those three as an example for the reason that they were all SLDF mechs that fulfilled the medium mech role so well, they were still being used. The most common medium mechs in existence as well.

Nathan

#34 Jack Colten

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

As has been pointed out the classic IS Meds are almost all Unseen mechs, Pheonix Hawk, Griffon, Shadowhawk, Wolverine. You do have the option of the Dervish (ok) Blackjack(ok). Maybe this Ostroc would be nice or maybe the Lensman? Centurion is a great mech. I think the Hellspawn is a post invasion mech and my favorite IS post invasion Medium the Bushwacker won't be available for a few years. Ahh the Vindicator, not a bad mech. Hermis II Vulcanand Crab too.

#35 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Yep, we've got 2 wannabe Heavies and a wannabe Light.

Not impressed with mediums.

#36 Diagnosis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

They really need to have the Griffin as a Medium mech..it is one of the standards. Also I would be pretty upset if they dont have a Crusader as one of the heavys since it was the most common heavy mech along with the T-Bolt, but we understand why we cant have T-Bolts...

#37 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 02 June 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

1: the centurion is pure awesomeness, how dare you impune it you dirty surrat.
2: the hunchback with an ac 20 or ac 10 or swayback with a horde of lasers is a purpose built mech, its good at what its made for and damn cheap.
3: you neglected to even notice the fastest mech currently listed is a med
4: these arent all of the mechs, theyre just the teasers. expect a slew of stuff anounced at e3, watch that **** on the internet or g4 tv.

we arent playing table top. we are actually going to be running and gunning in mwo, not moving hexes up to the enemy to unleash a shot every 10 seconds. sure some little **** might run away, but that just leaves his back turned to you to finish him off in 1 good hit.

True, i did have the most amazing time fighting a hunchback in a GRF-1S a few months ago with one of the other players who did not understand Battletech. That AC 20 seemed awesome until i stayed 10 hexes away the entire fight, large laser!!! But unless the entire game is totally BROKEN then it will still stand to reason, they will continue to seem awesome while remaining essentially worthless. Cause any smart/good player while just laugh as they bring you down. But feel free to be immensely proud of any inexperienced/stupid players you can manage to kill. If you hear hysterical laughter as all your short range weapons miss while you get grinded into the dirt like a chump, that will be me or any other competent player.

Nathan

As a side note to the guy who called me a "surrat." When you use a Clan insult while defending a slow short range weapons platform makes you look stupid. The Clans use FAST mechs & Long/Extreme range weapons, you kinda missed the whole point. There Hunchback IIC is only used as a "cheater" in sibko Trials of Position or old warriors who want to DIE not become solhama. Never by any real warrior of any value, just a FYI.

Nathan

Edited by zuul88, 02 June 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#38 PirateLincoln

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 152 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, USA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Without a Phoenix Hawk, or at LEAST an Enforcer, I'm gonna be bummed but I'll still run medium.

#39 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Those are all Unseen mechs... why even ask for them? Unless you want them to be removed soon after because of a lawsuit.

Shadow Hawk, Griffin and Wolverine are now all RESEEN. As in Catalyst Games has secured legal rights to use them. Keep up with the times. The only mechs still in question are those that originated in Macross.

They really need to have the Griffin as a Medium mech..it is one of the standards. Also I would be pretty upset if they dont have a Crusader as one of the heavys since it was the most common heavy mech along with the T-Bolt, but we understand why we cant have T-Bolts...

Actually you can have T-Bolts but not Crusaders.

Edited by Ian, 02 June 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#40 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostBeazle, on 02 June 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Yep, we've got 2 wannabe Heavies and a wannabe Light.

Not impressed with mediums.

and a mechlab, if you dont like the stock variants, you are free to **** away some cbills and tune them. you can alter armor up to max allowed, tweak engine size for speed. change weapons layout within the hard points, which in the case of the hunchback and cent you have alot of options, even the fast ****** can mount some blistering weapons if you make the tonnage available.

just use some imagination, everyones born with one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users