The Trebuchet After Recent Missle Adjustments.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Discuss, plz.

I haven't been playing often enough to really come to a decision, but I am curious what folks are doing with their Trebbies, post missile adjustments.

(Please refrain from debating the merits of the adjustment, how much you hate srms, and so on)

My 7K seems largely unaffected, though I've only tried a couple of matches in it. My 5J was running a single LRM20 for a while, but that seems to be rather silly at this time and there are enough energy hard points to compensate for the loss in damage (maybe).

The 3C, previously my favorite, seems to have been hit the hardest by the change. Alpha damage is way down, and I'm not a fan of the CT single energy slot.

Honestly, I think the TBT got a little bit shafted on missile hard points when it was released. Just my opinion, but only 1 of them has more than 2 missile hard points, and that one has a tube issue due to the stock NARC. So, the "missile support" medium can't really hold any more missiles than any other medium. (And the Centurion with 3 missile hard points can deliver them more effectively) I understand that this was due to fears of people like me running 113kph Trebbie's with 4xsrm6 (more like 4x4 with lasers for support) or similar builds. I know we will never see a change in hard points, but I kinda wish missiles had been fixed before the TBT was designed, so that the hardpoint layout could have accounted for missiles that were WAI.

Before the flames begin, I'm not convinced that the TBT is dead (and I'm not mad either, I want some legit discussion here, plz) after the changes to missiles, but the change does warrant a change in build and possibly playstyle for them.

So, any TBT fans out there still rocking the Bucket?

Edited by Bagheera, 05 April 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#2 Cifrer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

TBT-7M

I run this still, works well for me. Would be nice for missiles to get fixed, but oh well for now.

#3 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I run mine with two SRM6 with Artemis, a SSRM and lasers as filler. Prior to the hot mess of this patch, I had one match with a 340 score and 3 kills, and another with 4 kills and a score of 510 (that Heavy Metal took a lot to bring down). It makes me wonder what I could have done with old SRM damage, and I don't mean the crazy missile bug that was hot fixed a few weeks ago.

#4 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

My 3C runs with 3MPL, 1ERLL, and an XL350.
My 5J runs 5ML, ASRM6, 5JJ, 325XL.

After missile nerfs the things Treb do that other mediums don't:
Go fast
Arm lasers and lots of them
Jumpjets

So focus on those strengths.

#5 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I've only got the 7K and 5N variants... My 7K is more or less an upgraded stock model with Endosteel, more armor, double heatsinks, XL300, 2 SSRM2s, 1 ERPPC, 1 AC5, w/AMS. Decent upgrade from stock, play it right and this can be an excellent medium skirmisher or anti-scout support for your main force.

My 5N is rather odd... took some playing with, but again, everything matches my 7K with exception to it's weapons load-out: 4 Med Lasers, 1 LRM15, 1 SRM6, AMS. Good for range and if Lights manage to flank it still gives them something to worry about while not limiting yourself to long or short range battles.

All in all... both have an armor rating of 320 (like my Centurions), capable of speeds over 100kph after speed-tweak.

#6 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

@OMA - I like your 3C build, going to give it a try. I originally tried to go 1LPL and 2MPL, but the game is favoring longer range at the moment, and not having the 3rd MPL meant too little damage, honestly.

@Grendel. I sold my 5N shortly after trying it. Right now I have the 3C, 5J, and 7K. Still liking the 7K with a pair of SRM-4 in that arm, and AC10, and 2ML, running about 97kph in that. It's like a half-atlas with twice the speed. It does less dmg than before, but the srms in that were really just icing. For a little while I tried it with a standard engine and an AC20, but I couldn't make it as fast as my 4G (250 std in that puppy, with speed tweak it nearly does 90) while still keeping SRMs, so it seemed silly. The smaller ballistic paired with the er-ppc could be interesting indeed.

@Cifrer. Interesting 7M, I might want to take a second look at that variant. Or just try building a different variant around an er-ppc and see what happens.

I figured the problem was that I just hadn't reconsidered the builds/play since the change. Really only logged a handful of games with them since the Jager came out, and only a fraction of those post-missile-adjustment.

Edited by Bagheera, 05 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#7 Kamelkaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 423 posts
  • LocationIm Cockpit seines Urbies!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

5J with 4 ER LL and JJ ;)

#8 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I fill mine with lasers, huge engines and JJs where I can, and brawl like I have a death wish. Missile slots are spent on short range stuff, usually an SRM4 or 2, or some streaks. Since HSR made lasers awesome, I find them far more reliable for consistent damage.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Not sure why this is considered to be a guide... Or many of the "guides" for that matter.

But since we're here... This rig which relies heavily on SRMs still performs about the same. Then again it's the 7K, the largely unaffected Trebuchet.

#10 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 April 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Not sure why this is considered to be a guide... Or many of the "guides" for that matter.

Strictly speaking not a guide, though many threads in this section don't qualify as guides. It's just a much more sane section than General, and technically specifically for discussion of mechs. ;)

Agreed on the 7K, it is the least affected by the missile adjustment patch.

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

The 7k has the same number of hard points as a Dragon 1N with a shield arm to boot. With a 300XL the treb has 1.5 tons less to play with than a 1N at the same speed. So, find a fast Dragon 1N build (350XL+) that you like and use that. Of course since the ballistics aren't arm mounted it plays very different but it is what it is.

Also the 7M can still do 3xSSRM2+3ML which is great outside of an ECM bubble and workable against ravens/commandos in it.

My 5J ended up with a crabby sort of layout (2xLL+3xML)+JJ but I really don't like lasers as much as missiles since I'm a terrible shot.

Still, I find with each patch I seem to be easier and easier to kill so I guess HSR is working well. Either that or the player base is getting better. Not as much of a problem on tighter maps though where I can leverage the JJ of the 5J and 7M to out maneuver more heavily armed mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users