Medium Mech Primer-Imho

12 replies to this topic

#1 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

So there are a lot of strategies and guides for individual mechs but few on piloting this somewhat maligned weight class. I've been playing for a while now and thought I'd share my take on how to be successful in a medium mech. This is likely more for beginner medium mech players and applies largely to Inner Sphere mechs only, because I am not rich enough to dole out money for clan mechs.

The Perceived problem with Medium Mechs
From what I can tell, there are several opinions on this. If I had to sum up what I think the biggest perceived problem is, I would say it is the idea that the medium isn’t the best at any job. Lights are faster, heavies have more firepower and assaults, well…assaults are assaults.

So if the problem is that the medium isn’t the best, that makes it useless, right?
Wrong. The medium mech actually has several different roles it can fill on the battlefield that make it a valuable member of the team. It is able to fill these roles through the variety of mechs in the weight class. This includes the speedy Cicada to the beautiful war machine known as the Shadowhawk (I’m a little partial here). It also benefits from excelling in multiple areas, even if it isn’t “best” in that area.

Suggested Classes

Raider: One of the best elements of the medium class is speed. While not the fastest, most of the medium mechs can reach a good top speed (110+ kph) with a decent engine. These speeds allow the medium to run with the light mechs and bring a significant armor advantage without being too disadvantaged in the speed and agility department. High speed and decent firepower and also make the medium a nice hit and run raider. Fast enough to slip in and hit with some high powered shots before fading away. There is nothing like catching an unsuspecting group on their flank while raining down some LRMS, AC or PPC rounds. By the time they realize the shots are not coming from their front you can already be moving and heading back to rejoin your main group. The raider is also fast enough to escape danger if it gets separated too much. I personally enjoy running behind a enemy group and lettings loose with my LLAS and 2x SRM6. It sows lots of confusion and while they are turning around I run right through them or jump over them. You do tend to sacrifice firepower for the speed but remember that your job is to keeping hitting them. If you were a punch you would be a jab. A single jab rarely knocks someone out, but keep hitting someone with a jab and they will go down or be incapacitated easily enough.

Light Hunter: Similar to the Raider, you are going to pack on the speed but your weapons are going to be different. Lasers, SSRMS and SRMS are the order of the day. Your job is to either hang with the main battle group and protect from pesky squirrels or go on a safari. Your speed and agility negate most of the advantage a light mech brings to a fight and your increased armor and light killing weapons finish the job

General or Specific Support: Everyone wants to be the main course or appetizer but few people want to be the side dish. In some ways, that is what the medium mech is, the side dish. Not always the most glamorous but in many cases, it can make a meal that much better. The variety of medium mechs allow for a variety of general support mechs. You can run a balanced weapon setup for attacking at all ranges. Run a LRM support mech with the Trebuchet or Kintaro. Mount PPCs for throwing damage downfield. You can even mount a big old AC20 on some mechs for a nice heavy punch where needed. The key with the medium is to remember that you aren’t the main course. Your job is work with your high firepower teammates and support in the areas needed. You have the speed and lower profile to successfully navigate the field as long as you stick with your team and can do some serious damage. Since most people focus on the heavies and assault class mechs, you can sometimes be freed up to look for the enemy weak spots and finish them off.

But won’t other classes do these things better?
In some cases yes, in some cases no. I play all classes and all different types. My Jenner with a PPC is great for running around and popping off a few shots before fading, but if attacked by other lights or gets into it with other bigger mechs it can go down pretty quick. On the other hand, in my Shadowhawk, I can run around and pop off heavy damage before retreating, but if I can’t disengage for some reason I can make the other team pay a heavy price if I go down. The big thing to remember is that the medium has lots of benefits even if it doesn’t have the fastest mech or most armor or firepower. It is able to combine many of the elements to create a mech capable of doing good damage or taking out specific mechs, etc. The extra firepower can be a big difference on a battlefield.

Closing thoughts
So first off, thanks for reading all that. Second, these are justa few basic ideas and I don’t include specific loadouts because of everyone’s differnet taste and skills. I’m open to other ideas and challenges and love testing out new builds.

GLHF everyone!

#2 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I would add/argue that mediums are the best response class out there. It happens often that smaller battles take place. Ex a Lance of enemy mechs find a few of your guys a bit distant from the rest of your team that is participating in the typical beginning face off (everyone hiding and taking pop shots). As a medium you can quickly redeploy to were you are needed most, ie, that small battle (not the face off).

To me it's this ability to constantly redeploy in the battlefield that makes mediums invaluable.

Good post btw

#3 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

First Med mech "praise" thread I've seen in a while. The much maligned Medium mech has had a resurgence since 3x4 and the SRM fix.

I pilot Mediums almost exclusively and have always thought they were the most fun weight class to play. You have enough speed and fire power to do real damage to the enemy. A pack of Mediums can flank quickly and be the deciding factor in a pop tart fest. I love sneaking up behind an Assault class mech during the heat of battle and pouring 16-24 SRM into their backside. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I got giddy about it the other night and my wife said, "what's so funny?". I said, "I just neutered a Direwolf when he wasn't looking."

#4 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Medium mechs are well-placed at being in the suicide brigade (vanguard, spotter). The only recommendation is to have a good mix of firepower at all ranges and be as annoying as possible*. Sure you often meet a grisly end**, but it isn't like anyone else is going to be in the vanguard and you already have the iron will necessary to do well at this (you are piloting a hard mode mech after all***).

*currently I run the following loadout on my Griffin
LRM15-A
SRM4-A (x2)****
Medium Laser (x2)
TAG (I see you and now my team does as well Mr. ECM atlas about to be pincushion)
BAP

Notice that while it certainly doesn't look scary, It will absolutely contribute the entire battle. The ability to engage at any range is very important. I also recommend TAG for every medium mech as it helps the more sluggish in the back guys get into the fight.

** Make them work HARD see the black knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail . Mediums have some of the best hitboxes in the game and often have the twist speeds/ranges to take damage everywhere as long as you are moving. If they have to get you to <20% to kill you, you did a good job and will be in Valhalla with all the true warriors.

*** Only locust is more hardcore as those guys are just bat guano crazy (see previous post here on thoughts http://mwomercs.com/...st/page__st__60) .

**** Out with the old SSRM-2 in with the new. Plain Jane SRMs are better now especially with fixes. Still could be buffed further for both. I'd like 2.5 per missile to start because better SRMs = more SRM touting medium mech death dealers.

Edited by Chagatay, 09 July 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#5 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

I"m also of the opinion that medium mechs are, hands down and without reservation, the best brawlers - thus their resurgence after the SRM fix.

Simply, you've got speed to get in and out, your guns can pack a tremendous punch (my GRF of choice throws a /52!/ point alpha!), and you're surprisingly durable (if well-piloted) beyond what the numbers indicate you should be. You can get in, melt faces, and do so in a way that makes it shockingly difficult for the enemy to retaliate. You can dictate the pace and distance of just about any engagement, and - one-on-one - easily outfight anything bigger than you are.

Many of the mediums have impressive shields, too - the GRF has basically an entire ablative side, as does the Centurion. SHadowhawks and wolverines mount massive amounts of armor for their weight. Even the 'lowly' treb is a terrifying brawler - it spreads weapons out in a way that makes it pretty much impossible to disarm, while not costing much as body parts come off.

People who malign mediums generally do so by forgetting their finesse, or looking only at numbers - mediums are far more than that.

#6 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

I pilot mediums nearly all the time myself, to such an extent that I've gotten spoilt for anything heavier. They carry enough armour so that I don't get instagibbed by a lucky hit, but have the speed and agility (emphasis agility) to fly around the battlefield, delivering just enough firepower to take advantage of what the bigger guys have done.

In a medium, I actually feel like I'm making a difference shooting at something, unlike lights.

I used to be fairly handy in a Cataphract, and occasionally Orions. My Muromets and Cat-3D are still in my garage. But I can't play them regularly anymore. I can't take the lack of speed and twist. Anything under 80 kph feels intolerably slow.

;) mediums.

#7 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

I remember the first few months of play ppl would go "We don't have mediums, this is bad". This was roughly before the widespread use of ecm when jenners and commandos would regularly cap rush, requiring mediums to defend the base (this was where most mediums would get their kills from). I don't know what happened when i took a break from mwo, but when i returned no one liked mediums and cap rush was returned with crabby talk (no one bothered with defending anymore). In theory light hunters should be the best defenders of cap rush...

#8 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

View Postdragnier1, on 10 July 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

I remember the first few months of play ppl would go "We don't have mediums, this is bad". This was roughly before the widespread use of ecm when jenners and commandos would regularly cap rush, requiring mediums to defend the base (this was where most mediums would get their kills from). I don't know what happened when i took a break from mwo, but when i returned no one liked mediums and cap rush was returned with crabby talk (no one bothered with defending anymore). In theory light hunters should be the best defenders of cap rush...

They added turrets to the bases. These things are aimbots, and shoot lasers and LRMs. And they like aiming for Light mech's legs. Plus, once the enemies begin getting into range of your turrets and engaging them, you get a "base under attack" warning, thus your team already knows they're coming for your base when they are still over half a kilometer away, without even needing to scout it yourself.

As a result, it's a lot more rare to see a successful base capture these days.

It can still happen, but it's alot harder.

So more and more people can strap themselves into Heavies/Assaults without worrying about base defense.

That and they also added Skirmish mode where there ain't even a base to defend or capture at all.

#9 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostYueFei, on 12 July 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

They added turrets to the bases. These things are aimbots, and shoot lasers and LRMs. And they like aiming for Light mech's legs. Plus, once the enemies begin getting into range of your turrets and engaging them, you get a "base under attack" warning, thus your team already knows they're coming for your base when they are still over half a kilometer away, without even needing to scout it yourself.

As a result, it's a lot more rare to see a successful base capture these days.

It can still happen, but it's alot harder.

So more and more people can strap themselves into Heavies/Assaults without worrying about base defense.

That and they also added Skirmish mode where there ain't even a base to defend or capture at all.

This was way before the introduction of turrets. I remember the griping and name calling, talk of the "useless" cap rush, ppl then demanded turrets. Before my break i always thought meds were the heroes of base defense???

Edited by dragnier1, 12 July 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#10 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

The SRM fix and 3/3/3/3 really helped Mediums I think. I rack up more damage in a Jager or Highlander, but Shadowhawks are so much more forgiving of initial deployment mistakes and can be quickly where the action is. Some matches I can't even get a Assault into effective action before the game is decided one way or another- mediums are much more flexible. In particular the SRM fix has made running my 2D2 a lot more fun- the short range firepower I can bring to bear on a flank of the battle really gives me the feeling I can turn the tide, rather than just pew pew pew.

#11 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Mediums are great. They are fine and the SRM fix did wonders for some chassis. They have a place on the battlefield.

The 'problem' with Mediums right now while PUGging is the too frequent "Assault pilot who is too chicken to actually assault". Tired of seeing these guys. As most Medium pilots know Hunchbacks are an Assault mech's best friend and can be a really good force multiplier. An ECM Atlas with AMS/AC20 Hunchback support can do WAY more damage to the enemy than 4-5 independent mechs. They are a meat grinder.

So here I am in my Hunchback just a few meters behind a big Direwolf/Atlas waiting for him to make a move so that I can make mine. Problem is he never ever makes a move! Usually I pick an Assault to support at the beginning of a battle, most preferably from Alpha lance as their ELO is bigger and they usually know what they are doing.
So I just stand there, the battle rages on and the Assault is just waiting there taking potshots while other brave pilots {usually in Mediums} are in the frontline. It is frustrating.

Why pilot an Assault if you aren't going to make an assault?

One guy did this in his Direwolf yesterday. Sitting back waiting for other pilots to bust their balls to open up the enemy's armor only for him to just move up and mop up with his firepower. When the match was over we barely won, he did 5 kills and when in frustration I wrote about chicken Assaults and so on, he was telling me about his kills and such. Who cares about your kills dude? All you did is put the whole team in jeopardy and because of THEIR skillz you just came afterwards and mopped up already damaged mechs. I was there the whole time, watching him baffled that our team had a 100-ton kill stealer. We almost lost a 4-0 lead because of this. I also was out of the fight being there with him which is something I not normally do but I wanted to know what exactly he was doing just standing there below the bridge {Crimson map}.

It's way too frequent to see Medium mechs battling it out with Heavies and Assaults in the frontline {because a Medium mech pilot knows to fight right in the thick of it and is by definition not afraid to fight} while friendly Assaults just hide there waiting. They have the biggest protection in this game and they just stand behind watching other mechs die. Not everyone does that. A good Assault pilot WILL make a push when he sees an opening but right now there are too many cowardly pilots. I'm more worried about Direwolfs than Atlantes. Many players returned to MWO after the Clans hit and they immediately get into their biggest mech, which is usually the Direwolf. They don't know what they are doing. If I'm in a support Medium and I have to choose between an Atlas and a Direwolf to 'shadow', I almost always choose the Atlas because chances that he is a good Assault pilot are waaaaay better than the Direwolf pilot.

#12 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

The SRM fix certainly helped the Medium mech. I agree with a previous poster about the Medium being a good brawler. I'm not certain I'd say its the best in part due to the armor/firepower mix that occurs during a good brawl. I would however say that I think a good medium may be the best dueler (1v1) mech there is once you close withing 300 m. I love using my JJ to go over a slow assault mechs head and watch them try and turn to fire upon me after I've already unloaded a laser blast and SRMS into that weak back armor.

On side note, I also agree about the Assault mechs needing to nut up and get out there. Unfortunately I think a lot of the stand off is from the meta and the fact that Assaults are loaded up on LRMS and other long range weapons. Can't blame a Stalker pilot with mostly LRMs from not getting into the mix too much. Although, truthfully, if these guys would get closer (500m) they would do a heck of a lot more damage from maintaining target locks. Especially if there was even a modicum of coordination with other mechs.

Glad that others agree with me about the Medium's potential. Haven't had anyone bash the medium here yet so that's a good sign too.

#13 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Mediums are great, I still think the Blackjack is the most versatile medium mech out there. Variants for every need, the ones that don't have JJs have zippy engines, high mounted weapons, rather slim profile from the side. Plus the Arrow is just plain fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users