#1 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Reference Build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1faf69463c11ec8

Coming back into the game I ran this fast striker Trebuchet for awhile. Very versatile and reliable. Keep moving and make sure to land precision shots to make the damage count. Feedback is most appreciated and if you would like to see more of these videos make sure to subscribe on Youtube!

#2 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

Surprisingly agile thing. I might give my trebuches another try. Although the blueness reveals those aren't that recent games. Have you played after streak nerf? And how often you get your side torso blown off?

#3 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 06 April 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Surprisingly agile thing. I might give my trebuches another try. Although the blueness reveals those aren't that recent games. Have you played after streak nerf? And how often you get your side torso blown off?

Glad you liked it! They are surprisingly nimble but their turning radius reminds you immediately that they're in the same weight range as a Hunchback/Centurion. The games were from a couple of days before the vision patch so they are with the missile nerf. Whenever that gets addressed this build will be a lot stronger and it may be preferable in that case to switch the SSRM2's out for 2 SRM4s or 2 SRM6s. For now though this works well enough at least for me.

I've never died from an LT/RT death in this mech. At least reviewing my backlog every death is from CT though a few had a leg loss shortly before that. The arms are very large and take a lot of the damage - enough that arm loss isn't uncommon.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 06 April 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#4 WhatTheWho

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...460a607ff2e1512

Max'ed out engine for only 11% less heat efficiency. 44% is still viable. Everything other stat is the same.

#5 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostWhatTheWho, on 07 April 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...460a607ff2e1512

Max'ed out engine for only 11% less heat efficiency. 44% is still viable. Everything other stat is the same.

Sure if it works for you awesome!

#6 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi!

TruepointDexter, thumbs up, your build inspired me to actually doing something with my lone last empty mech bay after I sold my unfortunately failed medium lrm platform, the Trebuchet 5N!

So I bought a cheap K, which I immediately sold after unlocking basics, then bought a 7M, and tried your setup.

It was nice, but for my taste, lacked some punch. I experimented with a lot of builds (PPC-s instead of LL-s, MPL-s, SRM 6/4, etc), but my most successful creation is a twist on your build:

Instead of the LL-s, I use 2 Large Pulse Lasers, and only 2 streaks (both in the torso, the Narc tube is fine for SSRM-s anyway).
Endo steel, double heat sinks, full armor except legs which is 47/48 (odd tonnage reasons), XL 300 engine, 5/5 JJ-s, 2 LPL-s (1 in each arm), 11 DHS (1 in the engine), 2x SSRM with 1ton of ammo.
Whent things start to get hot, you switch to chain fire (another weapon group maybe).
With speed tweak, 106kph speed is simply awesome.
Armor placement is personal preference, I put more to the back, but each to his own.

There are enough crit slots for Ferro Fibrous left, but then the tonnage is borked, so I opted out from FF.
If you go FF, you can put 1 more DHS into the engine.

The idea: ECM is still abundant, and now the 6 ML Jenners are making a comeback as well, so the main guns, the lasers have to punch hard and fast, and we need to decrease reliance on streaks a bit, so here comes pulse!

Large pulse laser range is okay even in the 350-450m range, soin this regard it is not a big step down from the Large laser.

A word on XL and Trebuchet: while the Trebuchet might seem underwhelming as a brawler, the XL-s are actually very viable with it, just like in the case of the Catapult chassis (slim side torsoes, and in the Treb, they are hard to hit from the sides)!

Smurfy: TBT-7M

Blast away!

EDIT: FF remarks.

Edited by Takony, 10 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#7 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostTakony, on 10 April 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Hi!

TruepointDexter, thumbs up, your build inspired me to actually doing something with my lone last empty mech bay after I sold my unfortunately failed medium lrm platform, the Trebuchet 5N!

So I bought a cheap K, which I immediately sold after unlocking basics, then bought a 7M, and tried your setup.

It was nice, but for my taste, lacked some punch. I experimented with a lot of builds (PPC-s instead of LL-s, MPL-s, SRM 6/4, etc), but my most successful creation is a twist on your build:

Instead of the LL-s, I use 2 Large Pulse Lasers, and only 2 streaks (both in the torso, the Narc tube is fine for SSRM-s anyway).
Endo steel, double heat sinks, full armor except legs which is 47/48 (odd tonnage reasons), XL 300 engine, 5/5 JJ-s, 2 LPL-s (1 in each arm), 11 DHS (1 in the engine), 2x SSRM with 1ton of ammo.
Whent things start to get hot, you switch to chain fire (another weapon group maybe).
With speed tweak, 106kph speed is simply awesome.
Armor placement is personal preference, I put more to the back, but each to his own.

There are enough crit slots for Ferro Fibrous left, but then the tonnage is borked, so I opted out from FF.
If you go FF, you can put 1 more DHS into the engine.

The idea: ECM is still abundant, and now the 6 ML Jenners are making a comeback as well, so the main guns, the lasers have to punch hard and fast, and we need to decrease reliance on streaks a bit, so here comes pulse!

Large pulse laser range is okay even in the 350-450m range, soin this regard it is not a big step down from the Large laser.

A word on XL and Trebuchet: while the Trebuchet might seem underwhelming as a brawler, the XL-s are actually very viable with it, just like in the case of the Catapult chassis (slim side torsoes, and in the Treb, they are hard to hit from the sides)!

Smurfy: TBT-7M

Blast away!

EDIT: FF remarks.

Glad you got something out of it! Builds are really a case of season to taste so if changes work better for you then go for it! I would definitely add the extra DHS to the engine - greater efficiency is always better. LPL's are definitely viable though I've found them a little awkward. Have you tried with PPCs/ER PPCs? It might run too hot but you get significant range out of them.

#8 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

My Treb's have come into their own after a bit of tinkering. One of my favorites is a build similar to yours, but with the 3C and an XL380 (135kph!). I bought that engine just for this mech and haven't regretted it. I use ML instead of LL for weight reasons, but with the extra speed don't find the shorter range much of a limitation. Totally wrecks havoc and loads of fun, only downside is there's no JJ. :P

TBT-3C -- XL380, 4 ML, 2 SSRM

On y -7M I use an XL325 (largest that fits) and 3 LL; since it's a bit slower I can aim more carefully.

#9 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

I adjusted my 7M to try the SSRM thing, but with two MLS and LPL. I am loving it so far!

#10 JMech

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I remember you, your builds helped me loads back in the Chromehounds days (thanks for that by the way). Ill have to give this build a try when i can afford a mech.

#11 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

View PostXenonCx, on 10 April 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

My Treb's have come into their own after a bit of tinkering. One of my favorites is a build similar to yours, but with the 3C and an XL380 (135kph!). I bought that engine just for this mech and haven't regretted it. I use ML instead of LL for weight reasons, but with the extra speed don't find the shorter range much of a limitation. Totally wrecks havoc and loads of fun, only downside is there's no JJ. :(

TBT-3C -- XL380, 4 ML, 2 SSRM

On y -7M I use an XL325 (largest that fits) and 3 LL; since it's a bit slower I can aim more carefully.

Neat! I may need to try those myself. The three LL in particular sounds promising given the current meta.

View PostPastor Priest, on 12 April 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

I adjusted my 7M to try the SSRM thing, but with two MLS and LPL. I am loving it so far!

Thanks! Weapons are always a personal taste so if you prefer that combo more power to you. Greater overall single shot damage with that setup. How's the heat efficiency?

View PostJMech, on 12 April 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

I remember you, your builds helped me loads back in the Chromehounds days (thanks for that by the way). Ill have to give this build a try when i can afford a mech.

Wow thanks! I've met a couple of old Chrome hounds players in MWO. I infinitely prefer MWO to that game though. When you get a chance to tryout the mech let me know how it works out for you!

#12 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Interesting build. Looking forward to trying it out! ;)

I have a few modifications in mind that I will post later, but over all I like the look of this build.

#13 Chuckdatass

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Me and my two friends run our elited 7M's like this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...870b1c94bbba67b

Deadly in a pack. Burn down any assualts in seconds.

#14 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 23 April 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Interesting build. Looking forward to trying it out! :)

I have a few modifications in mind that I will post later, but over all I like the look of this build.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! Let me know how it works out for oyu!

View PostChuckdatass, on 23 April 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Me and my two friends run our elited 7M's like this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...870b1c94bbba67b

Deadly in a pack. Burn down any assualts in seconds.

Very interesting - it seems to run hot though? In a pack I can see that working well though.

#15 Chuckdatass

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 23 April 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Thanks! Glad you liked it! Let me know how it works out for oyu!

Very interesting - it seems to run hot though? In a pack I can see that working well though.

Its managable because we do circles of death, which means we spend half our time dodging and running around mechs then shoot afterwards. So its never constant DAKA DAKA. The burst damage of these weapons on each pass is amazing. Only shooting at key spots we melt larger mechs.

Edited by Chuckdatass, 23 April 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#16 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostChuckdatass, on 23 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Its managable because we do circles of death, which means we spend half our time dodging and running around mechs then shoot afterwards. So its never constant DAKA DAKA. The burst damage of these weapons on each pass is amazing. Only shooting at key spots we melt larger mechs.

Well I'm sure in tandem it works well. The alpha is high if you can focus it.

#17 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

Tried out. love the build. 2 SPL, 2 SSRM2, full jets... plenty of agility.

#18 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

The heat is very manageable. The only time I had issues was an extended brawl with a Cent inTourmaline. But, we were both overheating, and my occasional bursts from the LPL and Streaks gave me the edge. As is, the heat ratio is in the 1.34 range. I do seem to go dry on ammo, so I may drop one DHS for another ton. I still be about 1.31.

#19 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

I've resisted going the streaks route on my TBT-7M. They just seem so underwhelming on my 3L - you have to hit targets 15 times to drop them. I still use the same 3ML, 2SRM6, SRM2 load out I've always used despite the missile nerfs - and nothing to really say other than it just works. It always seems to get the job done. It's the best medium mech I own - to the point I've sold most of my others because I just don't use them anymore. There's just no need. My 7M runs at 114 kph, has jets and 336 armor. The speed and agility make it so much more durable than any of my centurions or hunchbacks ever were. While maybe it won't zombie like those mechs, the TBT is fast and mobile enough that you'll slip or avoid massive amounts of damage entirely. It's really pretty amazing that way. I can't figure out for the life of me why they're not more common. Sure it's not as iconic and the styling is admittedly pretty "bland" - but it's what's under the hood on this thing that counts. The only real drawbacks on the 7M is that mastering trebs is expensive - and once you've tried the 7M it's hard to justify spending the time to elite out 2 others... But that's about all I can come up with, because the mech is an absolute blast to play.

#20 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 26 April 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

Tried out. love the build. 2 SPL, 2 SSRM2, full jets... plenty of agility.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

View PostPastor Priest, on 26 April 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

The heat is very manageable. The only time I had issues was an extended brawl with a Cent inTourmaline. But, we were both overheating, and my occasional bursts from the LPL and Streaks gave me the edge. As is, the heat ratio is in the 1.34 range. I do seem to go dry on ammo, so I may drop one DHS for another ton. I still be about 1.31.

Ammo is an issue in longer fights for sure. At least the majority of the firepower is concentrated on lasers giving you some longevity. Glad it's working out for you!

View PostBanky, on 26 April 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

I've resisted going the streaks route on my TBT-7M. They just seem so underwhelming on my 3L - you have to hit targets 15 times to drop them. I still use the same 3ML, 2SRM6, SRM2 load out I've always used despite the missile nerfs - and nothing to really say other than it just works. It always seems to get the job done. It's the best medium mech I own - to the point I've sold most of my others because I just don't use them anymore. There's just no need. My 7M runs at 114 kph, has jets and 336 armor. The speed and agility make it so much more durable than any of my centurions or hunchbacks ever were. While maybe it won't zombie like those mechs, the TBT is fast and mobile enough that you'll slip or avoid massive amounts of damage entirely. It's really pretty amazing that way. I can't figure out for the life of me why they're not more common. Sure it's not as iconic and the styling is admittedly pretty "bland" - but it's what's under the hood on this thing that counts. The only real drawbacks on the 7M is that mastering trebs is expensive - and once you've tried the 7M it's hard to justify spending the time to elite out 2 others... But that's about all I can come up with, because the mech is an absolute blast to play.

I do wish Trebs could zombie but between the arm weapons and the XL engines they die too quickly. They're a lot of fun though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users