7 replies to this topic

#1 TheWayfarer

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi guys!

I need some input on the Trebuchet Mech. So far I own the 7M and 5J and love both of them. In order to max the Mech Tree I will need a third one and wanted to ask for some feedback.

I don't know, if I should pick the 3C or the 5N. As far as I can see the only difference between both is the laser hardpoint (I don't care about the engine, I don't want to run more than 300XL).

My plan would be to play them as support LRM / Medlasers -> the basic 3C build. I'm just not sure about this one Laser Hardpoint in the Torso. Advantage is clear, I will have one more Laser, if my arm should be destroyed, but I guess its harder to aim with a Torso laser.

So any input (and other possible builds) are higly appreciated :(

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

You should get the 5N as it is much cheaper. I really can't recommend either at the moment owing to the awful state of LRMs. I have both the 3C and the 5N and enjoyed them both pre-nerf. The 300XL from my 3C is on loan to my Cicada at the moment so it is not a complete waste.

#3 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

I used both extensively and 5N is my favourite. Don't let the hardpoints fool you though, they both are very different mechs.

3C can use the biggest engines which makes it an obvious XL brawler with SRM's; I use 2 SRM6+Artemis and 3ML's with an XL360 engine. It does 128.3KPH after speed-tweak which is blazing fast for that payload and armor. You can literally pick a weak target, dash into a fight, take him out and get out again.

5N with 5ML's, LRM15 and XL300 does 109'ish after spead-tweak but this one has JJ's which makes it better at almost everything. You can soften targets at range with LRM and when you're out of ammo go in with 5ML's and be absolutely devastating with them. 5ML's are great at picking body parts of bigger targets and absolutely devastating against lights. Jumpjets guarantee a perfect shot at every situation and and easy exit to a bad brawl.

#4 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, don't plan to run either of them as an LRM mech at the moment.

Personally I like the 3C, but I like it because it has a 350XL engine, ERLL, and 3MPL in my version.
I find that the speed is quite necessary to make up for the lack of jumpjets combined with the frontal profile of an Awesome...

#5 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have all 5 Trebs (All great mechs)

My 5N has XL325/ 4 Med Lasers / 2 SRM6+Art Fast enough (115km/h) to circle behind heavies and core back armor.
My 3C has XL370/ 2 Med Lasers / 2 SRM6+Art Light mech hunter (131.9km/h) by the time lights realize your still behind them you've cored them.

#6 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

If you're just looking for something to help grind elite and mastery, the 3C is something of a steal. All the usual upgrade work, double heat sinks, endo steel, and Artemis are all in the default package. All you really need to do is swap one of the medium lasers for a TAG and you're pretty much set. (Although honestly, I would probably downgrade one of the 15s to a 10 or 5 to use that weight for extra armor.)

You can do exactly the same thing with the 5N as you can with the 3C. But since it's the older model, you'll be spending more money for the full upgrade package. You have no choice but to buy the 250 standard engine with the mech before you can pull it out and put something better in. However if you do, your reward is 25 degrees more torso twist range. The 5N and and 7K can twist 115 degrees, compared to 120 degrees for Hunchbacks, Catapults, and Ravens, and a mere 90 degrees for almost everything else with a lower arm actuation. Add in the arm range and doubled Twist X from mastery, then you can shoot those arm lasers nearly 163 degrees behind you. That can be a big help in a brawl.

But it's pretty much up to you. If it's something you're going to sell after you have the 7M mastered, the 3C is probably cheaper. However if it is something you expect to keep a while, the 5N is likely better.

#7 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

3C, fast treb is my second favorite.

#8 TheWayfarer

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will go for the 5N and use some Cbills to upgrade it. In the end it was the Torso twist that convinced me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users