Is There A Improved Hbk-4P?!

28 replies to this topic

#1 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

So i love playing my HBK 4-P, with 9 medium lasers a 260 engine and double heatsinks, for my overall noobness i guess i do pretty good.
But i want something else, i got a LRM Boat with the Catapult C-1 but i dont really like it after all.

So i was wondering if there was something like the HBK, but heavier or even more destructive. I love being fast and shooting the enemy in the rear or back and support other mechs. Or alpha striking with all my lasers. But it seems my mech is lacking something, its like its an awesome allrounder with the speed and damage. But i want something that does even more damage maybe has a little better heat managing and is also relatively fast, more range would be awesome too. Maybe 1 or 2 different weapon with range, actually iam a little sad i only got one type of weapon.

I like the looks of the Jaeger but iam not sure if its the right one...

#2 ianoji

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

You've asked a tough question by asking for more damage but also being faster and range and heat management all at the same time.

These are all things you must trade off against each other, roughly, as you play different mechs and loadouts.

You could, for example, slow down your 4P a little bit and try it with PPC's or Large Lasers to get the feeling of more punch. But upgrading to a heavier mech for more tonnage/weapons/heatsinks will not come without a speed penalty.

For example, my Awesome 9M is like a heavier Hunchback 4sp (alpha strike in the upper 40's), but goes 10 kph slower (80 v 90) and has more armor. It's also a huge wall of a target, and takes tons of torso hits so the armor doesn't go quite as far. You'll have to pick something to try next in the game, and that'll be completely up to you ;)

speed: go lighter (raven 3l, cicada 3m, jenner with the 6 lasers), or get a centurion.
firepower: try cat K2's for better rounded movement+aiming+armor vs jaegers or cataphracts.

Edited by ianoji, 19 April 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#3 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

dragons can be configured in such a way definitely take a look at them, the awesome's are akin as well however they are indeed assaults and need to be played as such, use the online mechlab tools to get a feel for things.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#4 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well i dont want everything, probably wrote to much heh. I can live with less speed like the Awesome you mentioned, but i would like more Firepower and range and maybe durability. While not giving up all of my speed.
I guess i just want a heavier Hunchback lol.

#5 Jeremy Wade

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostKajiya, on 19 April 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

I guess i just want a heavier Hunchback lol.

Awesome 9M or the Pretty Baby with maxed out engines say hi.

#6 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Ya i looked at the Awesome ingame and it looks pretty good. Love the "Core Equipment" stats already. But boy this thing is expensive.

#7 JGrendel

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

You might consider an Cataphact-1x with 3 LL in the arms (2ML Torsos) and max Armor. From there on you can ballance engine vs dhs however you like.

#8 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I live and die with HBK's. I lose faith in them sometimes, but always come back.

That being said, I have looked for what you are looking for.

The Awesome is close, but I dont think you will happy with it, its not that much tough, being so big and slower.

Dragons, are an odd bird. I like mine, but I dont think they give you the more fire power thing you are looking for.

The Jagers are nice, but not really energy hard point strong.

Cataphracts, thats what I would try if I was you. Nearly as fast as your P (6 KPH slower after tweak). Much tougher, and can be a formidable energy mech. I have the 3D and the Ilya. I like the 3D better. Presently I run it as a double ERPPC mech. I also have run it as a 4 LLAS. Either is nice. Plus, Phracts are just fun I think. The Dragon was a bit of a grind, but I enjoyed all my play with the three Phracts I used.

You can try a 2ERPPC HBK, but really, the heat is brutal. The trouble is, the best heat management comes from the engine HS's and that is best achieved with larger engines.

If you want to venture into ballistics, then the Jagers are nice.

#9 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

The cataphracts are also nice, i read about the awesome and it really sounds like theyre not that good. I dont think i need the Jump Sets in the cataphract 3D right? Well i guess they are fun to have but are they a must?

The Jaegermech gives me this great feeling of a Heavy MG, the sound is lovely and all. Something like the MG42 i dunno. But does the Jaeger needs the XL Engine? I heard it can be rather risky having one of these. And which Jaeger mech does the most damage?

Also another question, if i want damage per shoot iam looking for the so called "alpha damage" right? What would be a good mech with a lower rate of fire and a high dmg output per shoot?

#10 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Give awsomes a try, it was my second series of mechs after hunchbacks when I started.

you dont need to start with the 9m or the PB, give the 8Q a try with 4LL and 3ml, 20dhs and a std 300. It will play like a larger hunchy and should run a bit cooler than your hunchback and more damage to boot. If you like that that but want more speed the 9m goes a lot faster.

Another option would be the 1x or 3d phracts but they dont "feel" like hunchys to me.

Edited by Fuggles, 19 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#11 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

I dont Poptart with my Phract 3D, well on occasion Ill take a shot like that, but its not my default style of play. I just like its hard points, I find it very versatile. I only run it with 2 ERPPC's now, its very simple, but effective for me. you can run three, but I dont like the heat management woes.

The only Jaeger's I like are 2XAC20 versions. Yes you need an XL engine. They are as tough as your HBK though, as the side torso's are not that big. I usually always get cored, not side shoted. Its a great alpha strike mech, as you hit for 40 in one location. (any Jaeger can run the AC40 build)

You can run the Phracts with AC10's, Ultra5's or AC5's. I think the AC2's are a waste of time, though others would differ.

If you want to try an alpha strike type play, either try the HBK 4G (my favorite, though considered the worst of the HBK's) or the J version. Use the AC20.

Big alpha strikers in the Assaults, but I cant stand the speed, or lack there of.

Some nice Catapult builds, but I just never got into them, maybe some people with experience will chime in. I dont much fear them though.

I think I would try the Cataphract line, really lots of great mechs, fun, fast enough, and in the end, you probably still have a mech you like to play.

#12 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostKajiya, on 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Ya i looked at the Awesome ingame and it looks pretty good. Love the "Core Equipment" stats already. But boy this thing is expensive.

And the Awesome has a very steep learning curve. Most players tend to avoid or call it bad. I for myself as well. But 2 members of my unit swear on 85 kph Awesome.

I have no clue how they survive like they do and how they dish out as much damage as they do. I suppose it is all about a certain playstyle someone must like. Me is not that someone.

#13 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Man i really wish there was a way to test mechs beforehand, i know the Awesome Q is on the trial list but theres still the Jaeger and the Cataphract missing.

#14 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Have you elited your 4P?

#15 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Iam not really keen to elite my HBK already, that would mean i need to buy several more HBK´s and i feel more like testing other mechs then playing the same mech for the next month.

#16 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think this pretty much fits what you are asking for

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0fec62df74f6a7e

Alpha is not as high, but it has a speed and handling that will feel familiar to the hunch, and be able to fire those lasers much more frequently, fleixbly, and from longer range.

Edited by MuKen, 19 April 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#17 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Its the premium one, i dont want to spend money on the game yet.
Basicly its 100 more armor .3 more sustained dps and 9 less alpha, the higher range and better cooling looks promising atleast.
Iam not sure if i like these numbers. But iam not set yet, the only thing i know is that i like my HBK alot so i probably dont want to buy something different because theres a chance i dont like it at all... sigh its so hard to choose a new mech.

#18 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

I liked the 3 large lasers on my 4P.

#19 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

Have you tried running the present trial Dragon? Its acatually not bad, and will give you the Dragon perspective.

Eliteing really helps a mech, so it might not be bad. You can get one of the missle variants, H or SP, and one ballistic variant, J or G.

I agree, if you dont have disposal income to throw at the game, then nothing wrong with sticking to the Cbill mechs.

I have purchased two mechs, and they are nice, but not game breaking.

For the Cbills, I think you really should go the Phract route. Dragons are frustrating, and you might really feel you wasted your money. They are not bad, but frustrating. I would try the trial Dragon for some matches.

Phracts give you a glimpse into Assault play. Dragons are just heavier mediums really.

#20 Kajiya

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Ya i tried the trial dragon and the trial medium and the heavy awesome. I think my first game was with the awesome and i was like oh god what is happening here and never touched it until today.
The dragon and the medium, i liked both actually better. They seemed to move faster and dont create that much heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users