Hbk-4G With Dual Uac5?

12 replies to this topic

#1 NegSpace

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

So, despite all the negative reviews, I wanted to give the 4G a try (and my download speeds are so much faster! /joke). True to what everyone's been saying, there weren't many effective builds. I tried the stock AC20, I tried an AC10/PPC/MG hybrid (which actually filled an interesting niche, good support but otherwise not very effective), I tried dual ac5s, triple AC2s... and the biggest issue is that I'm struggling to find a balance of damage output and speed.

Then I tried this:

HBK-4G

Dual UAC5s and 3mlas. Still not very fast (Std 200... bleh), but after a few tries, I feel pretty good about throwing rounds downrange with it. No ammo issues yet, but I can see how that might come up.

Just curious about thoughts/suggestions? I understand that HBKs have their role, and my 4P excels as a flanker or heavy support. This one, though, has been giving me fits. Even with the AC20, I tend to just get crit'd and chewn up before I can actually cause some mayhem. At least here, i have the luxury of keeping distance between the enemy and myself.

#2 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

From what I have been seeing in most posts related to hunchies, the first things to mod are the engine (250 at least), double heat sinks, and endo-steel structure. That should solve your speed/weight issues, but then you are limited to only 1 UAC/5, although you could put on 5 more tons of armor or ammo. You could also add an AC2, but I don't think that's what you're aiming for. The Std 250 will give you true double heat sinks internally, as well, so it's something to keep in mind. Just a thought...

#3 NegSpace

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the input! Good thought about the engine. I'll see how much I can tweak it around. I agree that the thing needs to be quicker, it's just a matter of figuring it out without castrating it.

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Dual UAC5 can work, but like you said, very slow and can have ammo problems.

IMO the best way to use a 4G is to either upgrade the stock variant with endo and DHS and stick with the AC20 3Mlas, or to put 2 large energy weapons with an Mlas and machinegun backup if desired.

Still not very attractive choices though, considering both those ideas can be done better on other variants.

Edited by Roughneck45, 15 April 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#5 n00bfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Ocean

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Try this instead for a dual UAC 'Ultraback': http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c998ef2f44cdeca

This is how I'm currently running my founders hunchback.

My advice, in general, is to drop your rear armor down a lot and HEAVILY reinforce the front. You need every point because everyone will be focusing on taking out your 'hunch.' High risk, high reward. Strip your limb armor to add a fourth ton of ammo. Again, you don't need a lot of arm / leg armor because almost everyone aims for the 'hunch' on an Ultraback -- or sometimes just your CT for the quick kill. The arms hold very little of value so they're effectively never (intentionally) shot at.

#6 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

3tons seems really tight for 2 UAC/5s.
I generally run at least 5tons when I use 2, sometimes as many as 7 if it's a primary weapons system.

Then again that hunch can be shot from pretty much every angle and you're running a 200std. It may not last long enough to require more than 3 tons of ammo. :D

#7 xeraphin

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea6f8830e7d7d62

You're better off running a standard 250, AC/20 with 4 tons of ammo and 3 MLas. (Shamelessly stolen from the rhod thread)

UAC5s sound good on paper, what with the higher dps. Jamming issues aside however, you also need to consider that in order to put out the hurt, you need to be constantly facing the target. At this point, everyone knows to tear out your hunch first, making UAC's impractical.

Darting in and out of cover while delivering pinpoint AC20 rounds to help out your assaults is how the 4G should be played IMO. It takes practice to protect the hunch, but basically don't get greedy with firing your lasers and torso twist, a lot. Be acutely aware of the mechs (friend and foe) around you and you'll be fine.

Edited by xeraphin, 15 April 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#8 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Did it in closed beta, was great there, not now. The Uac's are the main weapons and the jamming handicaps it!

#9 NegSpace

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Fun stuff. Thanks guys! I'll keep toying with it.

#10 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 15 April 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Did it in closed beta, was great there, not now. The Uac's are the main weapons and the jamming handicaps it!

I can quote that for truth... my 4X Raven uses a UAC5 as the main weapon with 2 ML... 50% of the time it'll just jam leaving the holepuncher feeling like a paperweight.

As to builds for the 4G, back in CB when I had one (I promptly choose the 4H fir the better hardpoints in OB) I ran Guass and 3 ML, nothing like headshoting enemy catapults and centurions who wanted to try a toe-to-toe with you. Now I would probably run either AC10's for range and damage with some larger laser weapons, or keep the ML to upgrade speed and armour, used to use a LBX10 but their pretty much a sorry excuse for a weapon in this sniping gameplay.

#11 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I have tried them, no real success.

Today I pulled out my old G with a new determination to have a good night with it. Well, I did. I think the only way to have success with HBK's at the moment is to flank and run, or wait for the heavy or assault your running with to engage and focus fire his target.

I ran alot tonight, something I never usually do. As much as I dont like to, I would run, and try to reengage after they had retargeted someone else, or I could flank them. If I found myself alone, I simply bugged out.

I never had a bad game out of 8 or so games. For me that means I had a positive K/D ratio without playing just for that, and a decent damage per match, which varied between low 300's and high 400's.

I was running the standard 260/AC20(3tons ammo)/3Mlas.

Just got to remember whatever you arm it with, you cant rambo these things, they are not fast enough, or armored enough to do that.

#12 NegSpace

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

This build has worked out better than I thought. I just rolled out a 630 damage game. Have been in the top 3 or 4 for score for a few matches in a row. Occasional ammo issue, might shave off some armor and add another ton. Speed isn't an issue if I'm running with a heavy/assault. Jams just allow for time to reposition, and it's rare that both are down at the same time. Definitely not a rambo, but not what I was going for. Works really, really well as a support fire mech when paired with something that can absorb a little more punishment or a light that is distracting well.

#13 Dr Roshima

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

HBK-4G

More DPS by dropping 2 MLas and adding more ammo

Edited :

HBK-4G

AC5s instead of UAC5s with 8t ammo; 1MLas as backup, DPS : 6.06 and Cooling Efficiency: 85%

Edited by Romeox, 16 April 2013 - 11:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users