Help Me With This Wolverine 6K.

18 replies to this topic

#1 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

OMG this thing is SO bad. It has no jumjets, wtf!. I bought this on my alternate account, I thought all Wolves had jumpjets. Seriously this mech is so crippled, it doesn't even have an extra weapon hardpoint on the opposite arm or other torso to make up for the fact it has no jumpjets like most other chassis. Like seriously, 6 hardpoints, that's it? And 4 of them in a lightly armored area? Its not fair. Everyone KNOWS to blow your arm off. The other issue is since this is a new account, the only other things I have to play are a couple centurions and a Victor (which I hate). I only have like 1 mil c-bills and the only engines I have available are a XL-300, a STD 275, and a STD 320. Help me come up with something please. I don't have much in my inventory besides medium lasers and like one large, one ppc, and one large pulse laser.

Temporarily I've given up on even trying to be serious with it cause its too slow to fill its intended use so I just have 4 flamers on the arm a medium pulse in the head, an srm 6, AMS and a shit ton of ammo and heat sinks. Yea yea I know flamers suck but I figure if my arm is gonna get wasted EVERY time anyway why carry anything I care about in that arm? You cant even protect its arm, cause everyone just hammers away at it like theres no fricking tomorrow.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 20 April 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

If you would be so kind, post your build you are running here? I suggest smurfy to start...

I always try to build a mech design in Smurfy first, so I don't waste c-bills on ideas that can't work in the end.

If you post up your build (and what engines you have and stuff), we might be able to help refine your build. Personally, I find no mech is bad, you just have to find the sweet build for yourself to make it work. And that sweet build will be different from person to person.

I'll be working on a build concept that I think could work for me with that mech shortly...

#3 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Working from stock configuration (engine/etc) and adding in Endo and Double Heat Sinks, this is what I feel could be a decent mech.

Wolverine 6K: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9327c04a579b4f2
I placed an ERLL for range combat, but geared it more for a close range game. (This is preference based.)
There are 4 med lasers, more than enough punch up close, as well as a SSRM2 system.
Control your fire. Shoot the ERLL mostly in longer ranges, and sparingly in close ranges and your heat should be decent.
At close range, use the med lasers and SSRM2 system (270m range, unless you get range extension modules for the SSRMs, or just don't hold a lock when outside the SSRM system's range).
Always try to use that other arm as a shield. Twist it towards the opponent between every shot.

Personally, I'd probably try this, or a 5 med laser, ALRM20 configuration if possible...

Edited by Tesunie, 20 April 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#4 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

The 6K is apparently my best Wolverine. The lack of jump jets, and the cluster of right arm weapons, means you need to go fast. It's not as small as a light, but it's got a low profile and can still be very sneaky.

Here's my build: WVR-6K

Note I'm using an XL 375 just because I had one. It might actually run better with an XL 350 and some more heatsinks and AMS.

#5 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Thanks or the replies guys! Yea its gonna be a while before I can get an XL-350. That's a lot of grinding and I still have 2 more Wolverines to buy......but I can tell it is a mech designed to have a massive engine in it.

I MIGHT try that LRM-20 build, not sure I really wanna put artemis on it though but it might be cool, I suppose if I were to switch back to the single srm-6 I've been using it will still be nice to have.

Also thanks for that STD-275 build, I just don't know how to pilot the thing and survive being that slow, but that looks like kind of an ok build, usually I only bother with streaks if I can equip at least 2, but eh.......what the heck might as well give it a go.

#6 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

you shouldn't put too much thought into this mech, it's the "basic it out and ditch it" variant out of the three we have.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 21 April 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Thanks or the replies guys! Yea its gonna be a while before I can get an XL-350. That's a lot of grinding and I still have 2 more Wolverines to buy......but I can tell it is a mech designed to have a massive engine in it.

I MIGHT try that LRM-20 build, not sure I really wanna put artemis on it though but it might be cool, I suppose if I were to switch back to the single srm-6 I've been using it will still be nice to have.

Also thanks for that STD-275 build, I just don't know how to pilot the thing and survive being that slow, but that looks like kind of an ok build, usually I only bother with streaks if I can equip at least 2, but eh.......what the heck might as well give it a go.

Then may I suggest this non-artemis LRM20 setup? Added in two more heat sinks, FF armor, and a couple more points of armor on the shield arm.
The LRMs on a slower wolverine I would imagine would help out, as then you can choose your engagement approached. You can close in if you need to, or stay at a distance if you desire. No need to really run super fast, or so my Stalker keeps telling me... :D (among other mechs.) Just got to protect that laser arm if things get close. (Can also always drop a sink for ammo...)

Take these concepts and make your own design. These are merely suggestions. I'm just trying to work as close to stock as possible, as I know XL engines are murder to save up for!

#8 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Yeah this Wolverine variant is a bit of a pain to drive. I've yet to finish the Basic skills for it, but for now it's weirdly my best Wolverine in terms of Kill/Death ratio.

So far the best results I've had were with a 340XL, AMS, 3ML & 2ERLL (make sure you put these in as the first and third on the arm, so they get the highest spot for firing). You have to be VERY careful where you fire from, as often you'll seem to have a clear line of fire to your target but your lasers will just go into the dirt (or worse, into an invisible obstacle). Always keep moving and try to hide behind your team's big guys when things get dicey. Basically this thing is just an overgrown light mech.

And yeah, playing it with a stock non-XL engine blows. Use some other mech to grind the money for an XL - heck, the current Trial Hunchback is a better laserboat than this thing.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PosteFTy, on 22 April 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

And yeah, playing it with a stock non-XL engine blows. Use some other mech to grind the money for an XL - heck, the current Trial Hunchback is a better laserboat than this thing.

I can't say about the Wolverine exactly, but you'd be amazed at how many of my mechs still run with stock engines in them. Depending upon play style, tactics and experience, you can get away with some very slow mechs.

Some examples I would bring out would be my Thunderbolts, a certain Locust, A hunchback 4SP, a Battlemaster (could run better faster possibly), a Shadowhawk (Stock taken from the 5M) or two, a Cicada C3... to name a few running on stock (or slower) engines...

The problem I see with this Wolverine is the same I saw for my other Griffins I used to master the 3M. That problem is all weapons basically being on one arm. Sadly, the Griffins that commonly lost their arm weapons seem to have better k/d, but not better performance/damage/fun. I'd probably suggest one to have long range weapons on the arm, and close range weapons in the head/chest. This leads to ERLLs/PPCs/ERPPCs in the arm, and SRMs and a med pulse in the other parts. However, I'm leery about suggesting SRM6, as I'm uncertain if their hit reg is corrected yet... (Similar to my Centurion AL.)

Edited by Tesunie, 22 April 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#10 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Its easily my favorite WVR but you have to dish out for the XL375 (121 KPH). nearly 6 mil.
then you get 16 tons for weapons after armor and ENDO. Which is plenty since its mostly energy.

3 MPLs in the arm
1 ML in the head
1ASRM6 in the LT
+DHS and ammo

I also ran it this way but I prefer the quick 18 damage from the MPLs to the slow 20 of the MLs.

4MLs in arm
1MPL in the head
1SRM6
+DHS and ammo

Do this and you may enjoy it, works best if you are fairly a expierienced pilot.

View PostInflatable Fish, on 21 April 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

you shouldn't put too much thought into this mech, it's the "basic it out and ditch it" variant out of the three we have.

And no.. it isnt.

#11 lukerduker2

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Initially I hated this chasis but I tinkered around a bit and actually fell in love with it on par with my jumpy gauss 6R.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1695bb6236601d3

You have to guard the right arm (as with every build) and play smart positioning at times but over all it has been a good performer for me. Rarely a game with less than 350 dmg, sometimes even after losing my arm early ;)

(and the 350ish dmg games are usually when i get focused down right away)

Edited by lukerduker2, 22 April 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

View Postlukerduker2, on 22 April 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Initially I hated this chasis but I tinkered around a bit and actually fell in love with it on par with my jumpy gauss 6R.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1695bb6236601d3

You have to guard the right arm (as with every build) and play smart positioning at times but over all it has been a good performer for me. Rarely a game with less than 350 dmg, sometimes even after losing my arm early ;)

(and the 350ish dmg games are usually when i get focused down right away)

Only thing I'd mention is the low armor count on the legs... I'd personally remove the AMS for more armor and to upgrade the SRM to an SRM6... (That's because I find LRMs to be easy for me to personally dodge. This is based on preference and results.)

#13 lukerduker2

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostTesunie, on 22 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Only thing I'd mention is the low armor count on the legs... I'd personally remove the AMS for more armor and to upgrade the SRM to an SRM6... (That's because I find LRMs to be easy for me to personally dodge. This is based on preference and results.)

True, the armor on the legs is low but I have yet to have my legs destroyed. Only had about 20 games with that set up though. Might experiment some more later with what you mentioned. But for now, I'm lovin it

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

View Postlukerduker2, on 22 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

True, the armor on the legs is low but I have yet to have my legs destroyed. Only had about 20 games with that set up though. Might experiment some more later with what you mentioned. But for now, I'm lovin it

Could also take armor from the shield arm and shift some of it to the legs if you feel you require AMS... (However, do/use whatever it is you like and have fun with. If it works for you, do it. If you have fun with it, do it.)

#15 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

So I guess my question now becomes: Should I grind for the engine first or for the other two variants first? The bigger engine would make my grind more fun but twice as long, and just getting the other variants first could help me get the skills needed to also make driving them less painful. I dunno, I excel in faster mechs (Jenners and Commandos are my forte) but I can see this both ways. The big engine would be great to have for other things later (I spent my cadet bonus on a Victor 9b and now the thought of grinding for the other two makes me sad, plus I suck at assault mechs something awful), but Im not about to buy premium time for my alternate troll account either. Hmmm.........anyways I'll post some results of matches in the next two or three days. I have to do some serious drops in between as Scrotacus so I don't develop a brain ulcer.

EDIT: Boy I really wish you could pick specifically which slots you put weapons in for optimal firing positions.......

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 22 April 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

I'll start with the easy one: Weapon placement.
This is a known bug. One of the weapons (or more) that you are trying to place on came from a new mech. Weapons stripped from a mech that it was bought with have little "I got into slot x when in x location" tags attached to them. Any time you place that weapon in a mech, it will always try to go into it's "reserved" place. To solve this, sell off the weapon and rebuy. If you don't want to sell them all off, take off the weapon, and sell only one weapon at a time and retry. Once you sell the weapon with the invisible tag on it, you should be good. (Selling them all and rebuying is the fastest way of going about it, but it isn't the most cost effective.)

As far as saving for more Wolverines or not... I'd make my next wolverine (if I was you), the 7K. Why? It's got an XL275 engine in it stock, which will give you a cheaper XL275 engine to work with. Then, you can remove that engine from that one and move it from wolverine to wolverine as needed. (This also presumes that you desire to stay with that sized engine with all your Wolverines.) This should help open up more customization options for future Wolverines, and future mechs as well. (And the 7K looks like it might be an easier ride to work with...)

What I would suggest for the Wolverine 7K (or rather, what I would probably try using and see how it works).
(Edit: Ignore the 280 engine in the example. You would just keep the XL275 stock, and add in more heat sinks, ammo, upgrade a laser to a med pulse... )

Edited by Tesunie, 22 April 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#17 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Cool well I keep forgetting to print screenshots of results.........

I've decided an XL engine is probably the way to go with a Wolverine at least until I get the elite skills all done. I occasionally get side torso killed but in general the engines I have are too slow to allow it to brawl or flank and its CT must be a lot easier to hit than it looks like cause that's the vast majority of deaths are from the CT getting punched in.

My current build I've probably ran the last 30 matches with is an XL 300, a PPC and an ER Large in the right arm, with an LRM-10 in the shoulder and a TAG in the head. AMS and 3 tons lrm ammo. Its a "bad" build in the sense it breaks the cardinal rules of LRMS (not having artemis, not having at least 25-30 tubes, no BAP) but honestly, it has 3 of the 5 "meta" distance weapons and its just fast enough to relocate to different flanks. I can pop up on a ridge, let loose with arm weapons, TAG my own targets and back away from a hill and lob in the lrm 10 while the other guy cant shoot me unless he pursues, where hopefully he will overexpose himself so teammates can help me finish him off.

Generally I get 6-9 assists and 250-400 damage with this build. Kills are occasional, maybe 1 or 2 at most. Best game of the night was 2 kills 8 assists and 447 damage, not spectacular, but not terrible for a mech with low dps. I also got nothing but hot maps for about 3 hours straight. I had a bunch of others that were like 0 kills 9 or 10 assists and 300 something damage (I didn't always focus fire as much because I need c-bills and wanted to rack up assists). I guess its an ok support build. There were a few flops of course too if the teams sucked. Saving up for the 7k variant now, I'm halfway there. I also tried two large lasers and 2 medium lasers, it was kinda meh and I found it rather "vanilla" for my tastes.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 27 April 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 27 April 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

Its a "bad" build in the sense it breaks the cardinal rules of LRMS (not having artemis, not having at least 25-30 tubes, no BAP)

If you think that is breaking some cardinal rules for LRMs... you should see some of my better running designs... (My best example for breaking every known "play this way" rule people come up with is my Locust 3S... And it works very well surprisingly.)

As for the rest, if you are doing 200-400 damage a match, that's not bad. If it works for you and you are having fun with it, then that's not bad. (I've always ignored the "meta" of the game and gone off and done my own thing. I feel I work better that way.)

#19 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:41 AM

I drive mine with. 2ER-Large, 1 LRM10 Atremis, AMS, BAP, XL300

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...414883a5ddfa823

Straigth and simple.And it works. :rolleyes: :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users