Is This A Good Catapult Build?

20 replies to this topic

#1 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Went for Artemis IV + AMS and BAP on this build, with a couple of LRM20s and 2 med pulse lasers. Moved to endo-steel too and 4 JJs. What do you guys think? Is the AMS/BAP/Artemis necessary?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f0c621ceb1a5e9f

#2 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Move the ammo into your legs/head and the JJ's to your torso's, scrap the BAP downgrade to normal medium lasers and add more armour.

I played around in the mechlab for a bit and came up with this :CPLT-C4. No JJ or BAP/AMS though but gives you a little more punch if something decides to come and rub noses.

To be honest I'm not sold on the C4 as a LRM boat even though it has more hardpoints than the C1. The 2 energy hardpoints means no TAG which when missiles are fixed will become important again due to more ECM being fielded.

I would run a C4 like soCPLT-C4. Or remove the LRMS entirely and just run SRMs

Edited by LittleGrim, 21 April 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#3 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostLittleGrim, on 21 April 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Move the ammo into your legs/head and the JJ's to your torso's, scrap the BAP downgrade to normal medium lasers and add more armour.

I played around in the mechlab for a bit and came up with this :CPLT-C4. No JJ or BAP/AMS though but gives you a little more punch if something decides to come and rub noses.

To be honest I'm not sold on the C4 as a LRM boat even though it has more hardpoints than the C1. The 2 energy hardpoints means no TAG which when missiles are fixed will become important again due to more ECM being fielded.

I would run a C4 like soCPLT-C4. Or remove the LRMS entirely and just run SRMs

Cool build, but why drop the LRMs? I'm pretty new at this but I thought TAG was something lighter mechs carried to help LRM boats lock on? Or was that the NARC. I kept the ammo in the arms because I figured if my arms went then I would't need the ammo anymore and I'd rather do that than to risk an ammo explosion near the engine. Was that wrong? I understand the SRM bit for more close range punch. And wow, 300XL for 82kph. Didn't think of increasing the speed, figured I'd be more rooted to the spot as a ranged unit.

#4 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Give this a go. The TAG is necessary for artemis to help as you need LOS and TAG can cut through ECM from 750m. The Streaks and ML are to keep you alive in close. 2 JJs are very helpful for getting over ledges and into safe places.

CPLT-C4

Edited by Jay Z, 21 April 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#5 Loqgar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm not sure about that one, You don't have max armor or max speed, I would try for both, at the expense of jump jets (can you make do with just 3 or even 2?), med pulse lasers (swap for 1x Tag and 1x med laser +2tons) and AMS. (just not feeling it with JJs and missiles today)

#6 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

try useing this as a base.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rakshasa

also CPLT-C1.

#7 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hmm, I'll try to play around with the configuration a bit. Will BAP help? I recall it's supposed to extend sensor range by 25% and decrease lock on time. If I use TAG can I do away with Artemis? Also JJs just control how high you can go right, I can probably drop to just 1 if I want to get over low walls/crags etc right.

#8 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Not sure how BAP is useful at this stage as I have never used it. Keep TAG and Artemis as they both tighten missile spread and both need LOS. TAG will let you target things like DDC's/anything under a ECM blanket.

As for 1 JJ, yes you can just keep one but you might not be able to get on top of buildings in Frozen City.

#9 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

4LL

#10 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

You can't fit 4 LL on any catapult except the K2.

#11 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

You can put some or all of the jump jets into the torso and use the legs for ammo storage.

#12 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Didn't really consider it before, but if I wasn't going for a support mech, 4LLs on the K2 would be pretty darn good too:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f0fd68b573e4c87

#13 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

Ammo in your legs man <_< I run my K2 with 2 AC10 and 4ML its great fun. I saw someone speak about this build a while ago and tried it out and haven't looked back since.

Also if you try to keep to an engine ending in 25/50/75/00 you get the extra in-engine heatsink slots.

Edit: Also I think you would be better dropping FF and the AC2 and stackign more heatsinks as the 4LL runs hot.

Edited by LittleGrim, 22 April 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#14 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

Got it, thanks a lot for the tips guys! Honestly didn't know about the extra heatsink bit

#15 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

I had the "pleasure" of grinding C4 yesterday to unlock the elite status. 2 LRM20+A, 2SSRMs, TAG, MLAS and XL300 engine.

I had some matches where I did more than 400 damage, and twice as many where I did less than 50 (my stupidity and inexperience with LRMs, usually, but the current state of meta really does not help).

The damage nerf isn't such big deal, most of the time it's the innate impracticability of the weapon system against anything fast or near cover, which is about 95% of the time...

#16 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostLittleGrim, on 22 April 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Ammo in your legs man :( I run my K2 with 2 AC10 and 4ML its great fun. I saw someone speak about this build a while ago and tried it out and haven't looked back since.

Also if you try to keep to an engine ending in 25/50/75/00 you get the extra in-engine heatsink slots.

Edit: Also I think you would be better dropping FF and the AC2 and stackign more heatsinks as the 4LL runs hot.

While I think there are a lot of viable LRM boat builds for the Catapult out there...I've started to move towards this build, it's pretty darn awesome:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0035322f0895459

WIll cost a boatload to make, and it's pretty slow though

#17 LokVokun

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationHere in the Shadows.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b274c32cdd798f

Edited by LokVokun, 22 April 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#18 Macheiron

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 86 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

This is a solid CPLT-K2 build that has served me well ever since UAC/5s were nerfed into the floorboards. Dual AC/10s are mean anywhere inside 800 meters.

I average 2 kills and 400 damage per game with this CPLT-C1 build. You could also swap the ERPPCs and 2 JJs for large lasers, streaks and 2 tons of armor if you'd rather get in the thick of things.CPLT-C1

Edited by Macheiron, 22 April 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#19 l3elthaz0r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostMacheiron, on 22 April 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

This is a solid CPLT-K2 build that has served me well ever since UAC/5s were nerfed into the floorboards. Dual AC/10s are mean anywhere inside 800 meters. I average 2 kills and 400 damage per game with this CPLT-C1 build. You could also swap the ERPPCs and 2 JJs for large lasers, streaks and 2 tons of armor if you'd rather get in the thick of things.CPLT-C1

I have heard of people going for 2 x LBX10s instead of Autocannon10s. Thought of mixing it up with 1 of each

#20 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Don't own a Catapult but off the OP's design, I made this C4 in smurfy's lab. 2/3 Splatcat with laser backup, don't know if there is enough ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users