Hunchback 4G, Good First Mech?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Murdos

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Name says it all, looking to purchase my first mech as I save up my CBs, and so far none of the trial mechs really resonate with me; I've had best results with the Cicada 3M of all things, getting up on someone's blind spot and putting an AC-5 shell in 'em feels pretty nice, just the overall fragility of the Cicada bothers me, as I tend to get focused pretty early on after I bloody a few noses.

So I was looking at the Hunchback 4G, and that AC 20 looks mighty fine for a 'HI, HOW'S YOUR MOTHER?' sort of close-range punch, and it's got nearly double the armor for a loss in speed.

I'm still getting used to the game - by that I mean I'm still bad, and my long-range game is kind of balls, so I'm trying to compensate for being a terrible Catapult player (I know, right?) by just going all-in on being a brawler.

Advice? Go with the Hunchback, or maybe another medium/heavy mech? I'm avoiding the two Assault mechs because well... there's a slow mech, then there's an Assault Mech.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hunchback is a great starting point.

If you're into ballistic weapons (smaller ones with long range), then take HBK-4G, because you can put up to three on him.

If you're into big ballistics, then HBK-4H is more than enough and gives you 2 more lasers for 2 ballistic slots you couldn't fill.

If you're into lasers and PPCs, then go with HBK-4P, no comment needed.

And lastly, if you likek missile weapons, then you should consider both 4SP and 4J. It comes down to personal choice.

Edited by Adridos, 27 November 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#3 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Agreed.

Frankly, in the mediums the HBK gives you the most variety if you are looking for a platform to take 3 variants through all the various unlocks. (since you need 3).

Some folks prefer the 4H to the 4G, but I found the hardpoint layout to be more cumbersome, and occasionally I like to rock multiple smaller ballistics.

Basically though, with a 4G, a 4SP, and a 4P you've covered the 3 main weapon types in platforms that are relatively cheap to purchase/maintain and plenty tough once you get the hang of protecting your hump. Lots of folks will tell you to avoid the HBK because of it, but its more than managable and the 4SP doesn't have one. :(

Also, they really don't need XL engines to go their top speed either, and the head-laser killshot after you've gone Zombie (side torsos gone) is oh-so-satisfying.

Edited by Bagheera, 27 November 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#4 Lavrenti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

First, let me congratulate you on choosing the Hunchback as your starter mech. In general they're very flexible designs, and won't break the bank even if they get ripped up. I'm always happy to see more medium mechs on the field, and as a dedicated Hunchie pilot myself I firmly believe they can do anything they're asked to.
That said, however, I would advise against the 4G unless you're absolutely sure you want to mount more than one ballistic weapon. If you like the AC20 idea, then get a 4H and buy an AC20 seperately - the extra laser hardpoints give it a far superior secondary battery than the 4G. I'm not sure, but I think the hunch on the 4H may be more survivable too - several times I've had the gun shot off but the lasers kept working.
The 4SP is very hard to beat overall, though, and doesn't have most of its weapons crammed into a single hunch that everyone tries to target. I'd suggest that as a starter mech.
Avoid XL engines (you'll lose the right side torso in most matches), keep your ammo in your legs (no-one legs a hunchy), and get the endo-steel upgrade as soon as you can.

Good hunting!

#5 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

The HBKs are fantastic starter mechs! Definitely a great choice.

The HBK-G however might not be.

Out of all the Hunchies I've piloted, the G consistently under performed compared to the others. The 4SP with 5 MLAS and 2 SRM6 packs is king, the 4P with 7 SLAS and 2 MLAS and a big ol' engine is a joy to pilot, and the H gave me all the heavy hitting I wanted from the G, but with more back up laser mounts to add damage and rely on when the cannon was inevitably decimated.

The thing is, the H can mount just as big a cannon as the G. You want an AC20, go ahead and rack one on the H, no problem. The only advantage the G has is the ability to mount multiple ballistic weapons in the hunch, so if you wanted to use 2 AC2s to pelt chip damage at other mechs, or try and squeeze 2 AC5s on there for more forgiving aim then I suppose its ok. But you still have the usual "hunch is gone, might as well be dead" problem of putting all your eggs in one basket.

If you love the big cannon, get the H. The AC10 is starts with is a fine heavy hitter in its own right and you can upgrade it later with all the money you'll be bringing in with it. If you're willing to back up off the cannon lust, then get the 4SP. Probably the best mech for the Cbills in the game. You can't go wrong with it.

#6 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

ever since they introduce HSR on ballistics the 4G is not a bad mech. im doing quite well with 1 ac20 and 3 med lasers.

#7 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Depending on what sounds good to you, go either AC20, 9 medium laser build, or medium lasers and srm. Never never never never put an XL in a hunchback, you will die early and often, everyone is gunning for your torso already (since most of your weapons are there). Always use double heat sinks. Always use Endosteel over FIberferous. Probably FF is not going to be worth it on most builds, you will get endosteel and heat sinks take the rest.

Small lasers really aren't worth it at the moment. Neither are the ER large laser or pulse lasers. I guess the large pulse laser is ok on some close range builds. Usually another heat sink and a medium laser will be better than the medium pulse laser. The HBK-4J will be much better at lrm than HBK-SP, but the SRM build is a little better on the SP, and the SRM build is much more successful. PPCs and ERPPCs are good, but they are not well suited to the HBK which often runs hot with its other weapons.

Oh yah and the 4G sucks, the only reason for multiple ballistics is for machine guns which currently suck. You will only ever use 1 ballistics slot for an autocannon. I guess you could run 2-3 AC2 on the 4G but whats the point, it wouldn't be very good.

#8 Circles End

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSol III, Northern hemisphere, Denmark

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

And the corpse-shell of the thread shambles on, after its encounter with the thread necromancer :D

#9 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostCircles End, on 05 May 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

And the corpse-shell of the thread shambles on, after its encounter with the thread necromancer :D

LULZ.. but seriously.. the 4g with ac20 does not suck anymore. go try it out.

#10 KylleX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 122 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

I ran my 4G[F] in about 4-5 matches tonight, got numerous kills and ran circles around some heavies while my team went to town on them. 4G doesn't "suck". It is a skill based mech requiring good damage spread and IMHO is the most rewarding mech to master. Not XP wise, but TRULY master.

#11 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostCircles End, on 05 May 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

#12 Zarvis

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

I recommend 4G over 4H. I have few good reasons for it.

1. You can mount two UAC5 for 4G and use it as a fire-support flanking medium. I often deals 500+ damage per match with this build. Considering the current meta where everyone prefers long range combat with PPCs and so on, you might find this quite effective. You can mount 2 Medium laser, 2 UAC5, 5-6 tons of ammo with DHS and Endo and sacrificing leg armors a little.

2. If you use big ballistic like AC20, trust me you will need a bigger engine. And if you use bigger engine, you will not be able to make a good use of extra energy slots of 4H due to Heat problems. Your maximum will be one AC20 and three medium lasers anyway. I found 245 std to be the optimal engine that can balance firepower and speed (especially with speed tweak, hitting 86km/h). This way you can mount 4 tons of AC20 ammo in legs and three medium lasers, with DHS, Endo and sacrificingl little bit of leg armors. This standard big ballistic setting gives you better survivality, and is deadly if used correctly.

So my conclusion is that unlike what 4G haters say about 4G, it is a great mech. I have played 20+ hours with 4G alone and have played with other variants of Hunchbacks as well. 4G is still my best choice. Remember the principal use of Hunchback is to hit hard, run and come back to hit hard again. No medium mech is built to soak damage. If you remember that, you will play it just fine.

#13 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well...

#14 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Moved to Medium subforums.

#15 Sophocles

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

4G is awesome, but like many have said it suffers most of its brothers from its hereditary deficiency (Teh hunch!).

I find 3 AC/2s do fantastic amounts of damage. 12 DPS with incredible range. The new patch gives it minimal rocking, which is perfect considering enemy mechs don't even notice it until it's too late. Once mastered this regularly gets 400 damage out per round and plenty of kills.

The downside? 3 AC/2's require me to strip off all of my arm armor. It leaves me with one medium laser perched on my head. So if the hunch is taken out I am essentially a meat wall that tries very very hard to get head shots. Either an Atlas or a good 700 meters between you and your enemy will ensure you a fruitful round.

If you're going for the damage of an AC/20 build why not just go with the 4p? You can stick a 260 in there and have speed and unlimited bursts of damage that is on par with the AC/20. Sure, you don't get the kinetic energy, but... You get nine lasers! Also, if your hunch is taken out, your not screwed.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Sophocles, 19 June 2013 - 05:08 AM.

#16 Fred013

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the red dot on your chest.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostHayashi, on 25 May 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Moved to Medium subforums.

This thread was made before there were medium subforums.

#17 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

And the thread was moved after there is one. :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users