Trebuchet Need Advice

26 replies to this topic

#1 Kaishaku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Started playing trebuchets recently. Currently piloting the 5J but Im kinda stumped now. Just wanted peoples advice on the other variants which ones are popular - and why and which ones are best avoided. Thanks.

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've found the 7K to be deceptively bad. You'd think it would be easier to do something with those hard points... The problem is they are good hard points arranged horribly. Two tubes for two missile hard points in the right arm? Energy and ballistic hard points mounted fairly low on the torsos.

I ended up going with 2 large lasers, an AC5, 2 tons of ammo, 250 STD, ES, FF, legs at 40 armor, everywhere else maxed. And I still wasn't happy with it. But I settled into it as best I could, as I'd tried several other configurations that just didn't mesh with me. But the low mountings of those torso guns is what kills me the most.

The 5J I found was pretty ok. Not spectacular, but it did the job. I was considering going with a 7M next, but then the non-Hero Highlanders finally hit, and I found something better to throw my C-Bills at.

Edited by Escef, 18 April 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Zoghak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

you can find some builds here
http://www.mechspecs...hp?27-Trebuchet

#4 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

my 5n is the best i have, hated the 7k and i need a better engine on the 5j(but i was digusted and sold it lol). My 5n is running 2 LL, 2 SRM6, dhs endo and a std 300 i think 90 kmh, excellent skirmisher and flanker speed to catch lights and firepower to punch the biggies. the 7m i think is the best speed and poptarting potential.

#5 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Poptarting is a ****** way to play, undeniably effective but not fun to fight as and not fun to fight against. But the 7M as a crazily mobile jump jetting close range fighter is amazing. Trebuchets have amazing vertical look range compared to other mechs, they do heir be fighting from above.

I work with two different loadouts.
3 MLs in he arms
1 arm mounted SRM 6
2 torso mounted SSRMs
A spare 320 XL I had
AMS (to use up the remainin weight)

And the other one I swap out a ML for a large laser, drop the AMS and drop the engine to a 300XL.

Edited by Ryebear, 18 April 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I would avoid Trebs completely until next month(or beyond :P ). Right now they have nothing on the other mediums save the jump jets.

Edited by Spheroid, 18 April 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#7 Kamelkaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 423 posts
  • LocationIm Cockpit seines Urbies!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Treb 5J with 4 ER Large Laser with JJ is awesome! From my sight it´s wne of the best sniper in this game beside the Spidey D! :P

#8 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

2 Large Puls Lasers / 2x SSRM 2 / Jumpjets / speed of 85 mph, make for very agile fun.

#9 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

Wouldn't touch Treb's until missiles are fixed, personally I grabbed the 5J, 7M and the 5K... 5J was my laser brawler, the 7M serves as a continued test bed for weapons but was a multi-tooled LRM boat, and the 5K is a long-range stand-off engager.

#10 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

5K and 5N are my favourite trebs of all. 5K is an excellent PPC sniper, just ignore the ballistics hardpoint and put 2PPC's in side torso. Trebuchet is a very tall mech, and energy slots are quite high on the torso giving you a very stable platform. Here's my rough build:

300XL, about 106 after tweak
2xPPC
2XSSRM2(for lights)
Full armor

Use it as a fast flanker, keep moving and spam PPC's. Use the SSRM's for light defence, PPC's give you a way to neuter ECM so even Ravens will be scared to go after you.

I'm using 5N as a 5xML boat with added LRM15 flavor. At the start of the round stay at range and spam LRM15 until you're out of ammo and then jump into the fight and start melting stuff with 25 damage ML alphas. This build is especially effective against lights.

#11 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 18 April 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

I would avoid Trebs completely until next month(or beyond ;) ). Right now they have nothing on the other mediums save the jump jets.

They have JJs and are realy agile. Beside this they can mount a xl engine relatively savely and some variants have plenty of energy hardpoints.

Beside the leveling stuff I've acitvely played two loadouts for the 7M (sold all the others):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68346fbb108eb81
Artemis is just in because this thing was a lrmboat before the missilenerf and I was al little short on CBs, now I would remove artemis and add more armor.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9bdad4da821cdb3
This is the lrm version.. I never realy liked to play lrmboats.. but because of the insane mobility and speed of this one it was very much fun(and different) to play. (I'm not sure whether I had more ammo in it...)

#12 Peekaboom

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

Here's the 5N I'm currently running (also have a 7M and 7K):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6204b1b173fe99e

1 ER PPC
2 SRM-4 Artemis + 2 tons ammo
3 ML
+4 Double Heat Sinks
300XL Engine (97kph)
320 Armor

I get pretty consistently 300-500 damage per round. I use the ERPPC to snipe and hand out on the edges, and then move in for flanking attacks and skirmishing when the opportunity is ripe.

Having a faster engine (300+) makes a HUGE difference in the effectiveness of this mech in my opinion and gives you a lot of striking options. When you get the speed elite skill, you're going 106 kph, which is enough to outrun anything you can't outgun, and it helps level of the playing field when facing light mechs, because their relative speed isn't nearly as much of an advantage.

I take a similar loadout in the 7M, dropping a Med laser + half ton of leg armor for 3 jump jets (3 is enough), which let's me to do some pop sniping and striking.

I like the PPC because of it's ECM disabling effect, which makes the mech useful as a heavy scouter as well to call out Atlas DDC's and other ECM mechs. If the ER PPC isn't your thing, the other option is to switch it out for an ER Large Laser, saving two tons and letting you bump the SRM-4's to SRM-6's. Also quite useful. Or you can drop Artemis and go up to SRM-6's - but I prefer the tighter grouping gained by having Artemis.

Edited by Peekaboom, 20 April 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#13 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

I hated the K at first, trying various combinations of 2xML, 2xStreak, and a ballistic.

Now I use it with a 280XL, Gauss, ERPPC, ML and I'm much happier. Use your 99kph to get into a long range firing alley from an unexpected angle where foes don't have cover and you can just blast away. Less firepower than other snipers, but easier to get clear shots and maintain range. As an added bonus it rips the hell out of Hopping Highlanders while they slowly scurry for new cover to pop over.

I also run a J with a 325XL, 5xML, ASRM6. Fun in a jump jet brawl, or in rough terrain where you can take advantage of all the arm lasers' flexibility.

And then a M with a 325XL, 3xML, 3xStreak. Good at hunting light mechs if you're careful about ECM, although a bit out of sorts in the current flavor-du-jour metagame where most foes are in assault mechs. Worked better before the missile nerf too. :-/

#14 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

What jasper said, K is only good for a fast gauss\erppc (in current sniper meta)

7M is good for erppc\2mlas\3streaks + fast with jump jets (support\light hunter)

the J is the worst variant, I sold mine after realizing every other medium was better.

3C is good if you want to go 120+kph

#15 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

If you haven't tried the 7M, it's really a no-brainer. It's probably the single most versatile medium in the game. Good hardpoints, good armor level, very good speed and jets... There's really nothing about the mech that's bad -aside from the LT missile launcher. It's kind of like a faster 4SP that can fly.

#16 Toppins

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I've mastered all the Trebs except for the 3C and I have to say the 7M is my favorite. My current build is 300XL, 2xPPC, & 3xSSRMs, but as others have said, it's so versatile you can do just about anything with it. Even my current build can fulfill multiple roles in the same battle. Typically play it as a skirmisher, using my 106kph to maintain my preferred engagement distance of ~150m.

I don't get all the treb-hate, tbh. They can be anything you want them to be! Also, flying over assualts and SSRM'ing their heads is good fun.

#17 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I can really recommend the 7M! It's a lot of fun even with the current difficulties with missiles.

#18 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

5J makes a good newbie mech IMO. Only one missle slot to content with.. missles are not really newbie friendly IMO, whether its SRMS, streaks or LRMS.

Slap an XL engine into that puppy and load up on energy weapons. Don't skimp on your DHS either!

View PostEscef, on 18 April 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

I've found the 7K to be deceptively bad. You'd think it would be easier to do something with those hard points... The problem is they are good hard points arranged horribly. Two tubes for two missile hard points in the right arm? Energy and ballistic hard points mounted fairly low on the torsos.

... 250 STD...

7K is not bad, and I see your biggest flaw right there.. 250 STD engine.

Trebs are best used with an XL engine to maximize your weapon loadout. Think of a treb as a glass cannon and work it like that and you'll find it better to use.

AC/10 or LBX/10 would work find, just swap out the LL for ML's and you have yourself a fairly fast infighter. Used properly you can be a real thorn in the side of the enemy!

#19 Dth2Vwls

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

I really like the 7M and the 5J. For the 7M, I'm using a 250XL, x4 Jump Jets, x3 Large Lasers, and x3 SRM2s. It makes a very effective midfielder, popping off shots on the run in and then hopping from firefight to firefight. I also had some success with x2ERPPCs and x3 Streak SRMs launchers, but that build overheats very quickly.

For the 5J I'm currently using a 300XL, 4 Jump Jets, x2 Large Pulse Lasers, and x2 Medium Lasers. It operates similarly to the 7M, but it doesn't have as much range.

I also have a 7K, but I've never been able to make a build I like. My last attempt was to build around an AC/20, but it just became a crappy Hunchback.

#20 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

I've found the 7M and 3C to be quite good. The 3C because of the speed (but only drive it with 3ML's + 2SSRM2's. The 7M ends up being pretty good all around, though I played both of these before HSR. My 7M build was 1 PPC, 1 ML, TAG, 2 SSRM2's, and 1 LRM15. Now that LRM's are pretty horrible, it's probably best to go with the sniper meta, and run 2 ERPPC's and an SSRM2 instead of the PPC, LRM15, TAG, and ML.

TBT-7M ERPPC + Streaks

Edited by ohtochooseaname, 22 April 2013 - 08:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users