Trebuchet Need Advice

26 replies to this topic

#21 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

I love my 7m. It was my first much purchase and my only treb. Modified it for brawling with 3 mplas and several srm arrays. It worked really well, surprisingly. Moved from that to two erppc and two ssrm arrays. And yes, I did that before it was popular. I will be honest, it is a heck of a lot of fun to play. When missiles are working again, it makes a dandy lrmstriker.

#22 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

If you're like me and keep one variant from every chassis, the Trebuchet presents a rather irritating issue: everything you do with it seems to be done better by some other chassis, so it just ends up rotting in your mech bay. You can make a poptart, but then whenever you feel like poptarting you'd rather bring out your cataphract or highlander. Ditto for building a brawler

What I finally came up with that gives it its own niche was this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f8180567383b0c

Designed to be a light-hunter, and it does this job very well. It has enough speed and maneuverability to keep lights from dancing around you, and with the 5 mplas on fully articulated arms, you can easily place high amounts of pinpoint damage on lights no matter how hard they try to evade you. If there's no lights around, it is still very good at hit and run backstabbing.

Edited by MuKen, 23 April 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#23 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Seriously? No 3C love? TBT-3C

The 3C is an excellent fast flanker/skirmisher very agile once Elited. 12 SRM's with Artemis have an awesomely tight spread under 250m and with 4x ML as well it's simple to strip back armor. 106kph with Speed Tweak.

#24 Mhael

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

7M with 2x LPL 3x SSRM 2 and a 300 XML with four jump jets. Lights will tremble with fear. You could downgrade to 2x LL for better heat management or 2xLL and 1xML/MPL for a little more firepower.

#25 Todo Sandybanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 269 posts
  • Location....

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostArctourus, on 23 April 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

I love my 7m. It was my first much purchase and my only treb. Modified it for brawling with 3 mplas and several srm arrays. It worked really well, surprisingly. Moved from that to two erppc and two ssrm arrays. And yes, I did that before it was popular. I will be honest, it is a heck of a lot of fun to play. When missiles are working again, it makes a dandy lrmstriker.

Keep the erppcs! Best build you could have!

View PostKaishaku, on 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Started playing trebuchets recently. Currently piloting the 5J but Im kinda stumped now. Just wanted peoples advice on the other variants which ones are popular - and why and which ones are best avoided. Thanks.

put 2 erppcs on 5j and 3 small laser and you have big daddy DEADLY mech!

#26 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have the 2 JJ trebbies, and they are amazing little mechs if played correctly.

You want at least 4 JJs on wach. I'd advise the full 5.

The 7M is usually played one of 2 ways. It either has 3 medium lasers and 3 Streak2s, or 3 medium lasers and 2 SRM6s+artemis. There are variations, such as dropping a medium laser and adding a streak2 to the SRM build, but they are cousins of those 2 builds.

The srm build can pump damage in a hurry. I rarely get a match with under 300 damage, and usually get closer to 500 or 600. The artemis allows for an impressively close grouping of your missiles up to the 270 meter mark, though you have to lead them. They share the max range with the Medium Lasers, so range variation isn't an issue. Since your 2 missile launchers are split between your arms and torso, it helps to briefly hold shift as you fire, insuring that they are aimed at the same place.

The Streak build is a great dueling mech. You just have to keep the target in sight, and you can fire streaks while airborn, then follow with a laser volley as you land.

The 5J is a blank canvas. Some make it a laser boat, some make it a Medium Poptart, some a light hunter. Personally, I run it with 1 ERppc, 2 Medium Pulse lasers, and a lot of heat containment. It deals excellent precission damage, but can still sweep at lights.

Big tricks are, frankly, to jump a lot. Jumping while your fighting spreads teh damage across your entire mech, making it very hard to destroy a single section. Also, anything arm-mounted can target easily, and you can jump right out of the rabge of their torso-mounted weapons. Slower mechs, alpha their back, tehn JJ over them as they turn around. Always fun.

#27 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

The Treb is kind of in a perfect place with its jump jets. Its fast enough to get into trouble, agile and armored enough to get out if you screw up.

I think out of all my mechs it has the best ability to take a beating, losing armor in most/all locations yet still be alive at the end of the match. My mechs, as small as the Commando and as big as a Cataphract are all more fragile either do to speed, size, hit boxes, lack of jump jets, lack of armor etc. Kind of like the Goldilock's porridge of survivability, juuuuust right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users