14 replies to this topic

#1 Madman7

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi all,

I am new to MWO and liking it alot. I did some research on a good started Mech for a noob and the Cataphract 2x was a good place to start.

I am finally starting to figure out the loadout tab... and trying to maximize my weapon loadout.

I feel that the Cataphact gets cored out alot... I use terrain the best I can and try not to expose my center.

I watched one vid where the guy said he uses it as a support mech, so I tried that. I like playing back some and engaging from a distance. my current loadout is.

1x Ultra AC5
1x ER PPC
2x Streakers (For lights/close encounters)

Im at like 1.25 on heat ... but my firepower is only 21... That I do not understand, its lower then my Jenner with 2 Med lasers.

I thought the Ultra AC5 and ER PPC would be my main damage dealers at range...

am I doing something wrong... 21 Firepower just seems to low.

Thanks!!

#2 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostMadman7, on 20 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hi all,
1x Ultra AC5
1x ER PPC
2x Streakers (For lights/close encounters)

Im at like 1.25 on heat ... but my firepower is only 21... That I do not understand, its lower then my Jenner with 2 Med lasers.

I thought the Ultra AC5 and ER PPC would be my main damage dealers at range...

Thanks!!

Hey, I'm using this loadout on my dragon! It's extremelly effective as support mech.
Spoiler

So, you are doing it right.

What about suggestion, check this build from NoGutsNoGalacy crew member:

It slightly differs from your loadout: 2xSRM6 are good if you have good ping.

Edited by XSerjo, 20 April 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#3 Madman7

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Oh yea.. about Ping.. Im deployed overseas atm.. so I am at 230 ish. I can still play, its not to bad.

So 21 firepower is not to low? I enjoy my set up... but am unsure if I am gimping myself on "Firepower".

oh, and that video is good... I've been watching alot of those lately.

thanks again for the help!!

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Your firepower stat is just how much damage you do with all your weapons firing once, and is not at all indicative of how much damage you are able to put out over time (dps, or damage per second).

The UAC5,for example, adds only 5 to your firepower stat because each she'll does only 5 damage, but it's one of the most potent weapons in the game because it can fire those 5 damage shells extremely rapidly, and at quite a long range.

A medium laser, in comparison, does 5 damage as well and as such will also add 5 to your firepower stat. But it'll only do 5 damage if you hold the beam on your target for a full second, and it has a long delay between firing.

TLDR version: pay no attention to your firepower stat. Make load outs in Smurfy's Mech lab, and check the Dps shown there, as well as things like time to overheat.

Editted: fixed typos, I posted this from my phone :rolleyes:

Edited by Wintersdark, 20 April 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#5 Hell ya

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hey.
Try maybe something like this. if u want to maximize your damage. Its`s good in speed aswell, got STD engine but is not good for long range. If u want to go a little bit mor for long range u can change the ac20 for the gaus and only take 3 t ammo or strip the armor a little bit.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...41ba7adb7a1ccbc

Important to know:
Not only the Alpha Damage gives conclusion about the danger of an mech. Important is on the other hand the Damage per second.
U can choose between deadly one-strikers with big alpha and looong cooldown, or the 6x-ac 2 dakkadakka loadouts.
The 6 x ac-2 loadouds only got an alpha of 12, but a high fire-rate that deals a lot of damage aswell, but different.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostMadman7, on 20 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Thanks!!

Firepower is the total damage dealt by all weapons if fired at the same time. Take firing rate into account. The UAC/5 only counts as "5 firepower", however if it does not jam, it can pump out more damage than the AC/20 which deals "20 firepower" in the same amount of time.

Much like small pulse lasers only deal 3 damage while medium lasers deal 5, however a small pulse can fire 3 times in the time it takes the medium pulse to fire once and recharge. So you could pump out 9 damage for one small pulse in the time the medium deals 5.

Every weapon has gains and sacrifices.

----------------

Also Zeprome who got a 2x as one of his first mechs... would not agree it's a good starter. I favor that thought because the Cataphract 2x is capable of fail-builds.

A "Good mech for new players" is defined as a mech that can fulfill virtually any role without the ability to 'fail' at said roles. Hunchbacks and Centurions are among the "good mechs for new players" because they can be snipers, they can be light chasers, they can be scouts, they can be brawlers, base cappers, etc, and regardless of what roles they take on, they can excel.

A fail-build is a mech built for a specific role that the mech can't possibly fill and still hope to have a fair chance.

Edited by Koniving, 20 April 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Koreanese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

check out some training videos. I also have video about builds

Edited by Koreanese, 20 April 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#8 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I am using AC/20+3xML+SRM4 on my 2X.
But it was close range loadout.

#9 Madman7

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

THank you all for the posts and advice!! I really appreciate it.. I understand how firepower works now!!

I enjoy the Cataphact 2x more now that I have learned how to transfer some armor from the back torso to the front... I am getting cored less easily now:)

thanks again..

#10 Filth Pig

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

PPC's... use ppc's because PGI has decided that the only weapon worth using in the game is PPC's... they've nerfed every other weapon to the point that in any given drop there is 6 mechs boating ppc's... at this point i'd be happy to see a splat cat just for the sake of variety.

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostMadman7, on 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

Oh yea.. about Ping.. Im deployed overseas atm.. so I am at 230 ish. I can still play, its not to bad.

So 21 firepower is not to low? I enjoy my set up... but am unsure if I am gimping myself on "Firepower".

oh, and that video is good... I've been watching alot of those lately.

thanks again for the help!!

I hate you; my ping in Al Asad was over 500 - largely because the guy running the network refused to block torrents and the like. So people were constantly downloading music, television shows, and etc, so no one else had any bandwidth.

Anyhow, I'm glad we could help you out - I'm just gonna plug a feature of Smurfy's Mechlab: the WeaponLab. Click that button and you'll be able to project your DPS and combat endurance for any loadout, and even adjust for your expected rate of fire.

#12 Madman7

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Void Angel.. I will check it out.

p.s. If your still out there.. Be safe!! keep your head down and come home safely.

THanks for serving!!

#13 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostMadman7, on 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

So 21 firepower is not to low?

With my Founder's Jenner packing more firepower (26) than your cataphract, yes, your firepower IS too low. Everyone of my mediums is 26 (Cent9A) firepower or more (like my Hunchie 4G(F) at 35 and 4SP at 43). Better build outs are available for your Phract.

#14 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Oh, no, no; I'm back for a while now - otherwise, I wouldn't be playing the game. =)

#15 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 20 April 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Your firepower stat is just how much damage you do with all your weapons firing once, and is not at all indicative of how much damage you are able to put out over time (dps, or damage per second).

The UAC5,for example, adds only 5 to your firepower stat because each she'll does only 5 damage, but it's one of the most potent weapons in the fame because it can fire those 5 damage shells extremely rapidly, and at quite a long range.

A medium laser, in comparison, does 5 damage as well and as such will also add 5 to your firepower stat. But it'll only do 5 damage if you hold the beam on your target for a full second, and it has a long delay between firing.

TLDR version: pay no attention to your firepower stat. Make load outs in Smurfy's Mech lab, and check the Dps shown there, as well as things like time to overheat.

+1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users