2013 May Creative Director Update

100 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Spring is here, and with it lots of cleaning. The MWO team spent the latter part of April focused on fixing bugs, balancing weapons, and enhancing existing features. The fruits of our labors will begin to show up in both May patches. During the month of May we plan to reveal more details about Community Warfare and UI 2.0, and giving you some first looks at some upcoming content.

New Content:

• `Mech of the Month – Blackjack (21st)
  • Hero `Mech of the Month – Misery (7th)
  • Champion `Mech of the Month – Jenner JR7-F[C] (8th)
  • New Patterns – Buccaneer (7th) and Cobra (21st)
  • New Cockpit Items – BattleMech Statues (7th)
  • New Modules – Seismic Sensor, UAV, Advanced UAV. Improved UAV, and UAV Upgrade (21st)
  • New Map - Canyon Network (21st)

Canyon Network

Canyon Networks is the latest map to enter the MechWarrior Online universe. Deep ravines and long sheltered paths are ideal for speedy scouts, but beware - there could be an ambush waiting around every blind corner. The high crags in the center of the map (conquest point Theta) form a highly defensible natural fortress. Long sightlines and ample hiding spots make the canyon tops a sniper's playground - use caution if you stray up top, and be ready to dive for cover.

UAV Consumable

Players can now equip and launch a new battlefield consumable – the UAV drone. This automated unmanned vehicle will launch 150m into the air, and keep station for up to 60 seconds before self-destructing. The UAV can burn through ECM, providing targets for allied team members. UAVs are vulnerable to weapon fire.

Seismic Sensor Module

On May 21st, players will be able unlock and equip a new tactical module – the Seismic Sensor. This sensor is capable of detecting enemy BattleMech movement within 200 meters of your current location.

Hero `Mech Colors

Players can now customize up to 3 colors on their Hero `Mech colors in Camo Spec! We look forward to seeing some of your new paint schemes on the battlefield.

Bug Fixes

With an extra week between patches, the MechWarrior Online team took time out of their production schedule to focus on some much needed hardening. Some long standing HUD related bugs and crashes, and black screen bugs have been addressed and will go live in both the May 7th and May 21st patches. Stay tuned for more detailed information with each release’s patch notes.

Fixes and Improvement Highlights

• Fixed friends list size limitation.
  • Better incoming message notification.
  • Improved message context sensitivity.
  • Chat Colour coding/User identification.
  • Decoupled Anti-Aliasing from System Spec option.
  • Implemented brightness/Gama option.
  • Fixed an issue where users were being disconnected during game.
  • Fix for possible soft lock users experienced while playing a match.
  • Fixed a crash that some users experienced when the end of round screen timer ran out and they were kicked back to the Mech Lab.
  • Fix multiple control rebind issues.
  • Fix for 'Mechs losing the ~1km/h with speed tweak.
  • Fixed a black screen bug that could happen to users after the loading screen.
  • And much more!

#2 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Can we please see this Hero Misery mech? Please please please!!!

#3 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm curious about Misery. Is it a Huncback? Please be a Huncback.

#4 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

I am super excited about the Hunchback Reticule fix that Omid said was going in the 21st patch!

Hunchback pilots, your long-range aim will suffer no more!

#5 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hunchie fix, you say? Could this be our hero hunchie to go with that? ;)

They could pull a Heavy Metal and release the BJ Hero before the mech itself. That seemed to net them some sales last time, though the BJ doesn't quite have the popularity behind it.

Edited by Bagheera, 03 May 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#6 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 03 May 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

i know we have 2 hero assaults but with a name like that, I hope it's an atlas lol. Probably will be either a medium mech or maybe a catapult though.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

I think the Hunchie Fix is unrelated to anything they had planned for Content Release, since it was a yet-undiscovered/addressed bug when it was reported this month, and they found a fix for it, like, overnight.

#8 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostBagheera, on 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Hunchie fix, you say? Could this be our hero hunchie to go with that? ;)

They could pull a Heavy Metal and release the BJ Hero before the mech itself. That seemed to net them some sales last time, though the BJ doesn't quite have the popularity behind it.
they already said the next 2 hero mechs will be of mech we already have in game so that would exclude the blackjack.

#9 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm thankful that there are patches. I'm thankful PGI is working on new content and bugs. However, I must say I am completely disappointed in what is coming in May. HUD bug fix will be appreciated, but a game that performs flawlessly and has no glitches or bugs can still be boring without new content, and this coming patch on Tuesday the 7th - I see NOTHING that is new content except Hero colors, Camo's and Cockpit items. Nothing! Now, I realize the update is not patch notes. And, maybe there is some new content that will make it in on Tuesday. But, it has been 3 weeks between patches and according to this, as much as you can read into it, nothing significantly new! So, what are we getting new this month? Not much more! So many things no word on regarding the major items that are coming (insert list here). We are getting 1 new map, 1 new mech, some consumables, and a module....that's it! I'm sure there are many players that are still having a blast, but there are also those of us that are frustrated and want to enjoy this game, but the content is released slower than molasses dripping!

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I want a Hero Hunchback with 2 Hunches... but I might have to undergo some kind of "Trial" or something like that to get one...

#11 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 03 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

i know we have 2 hero assaults but with a name like that, I hope it's an atlas lol. Probably will be either a medium mech or maybe a catapult though.

/Tinfoil hats on/

If we get another hero Assault, it'll probably be Stalker (although I can't imagine viable but not OP hardpoint set)

#12 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 03 May 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

they already said the next 2 hero mechs will be of mech we already have in game so that would exclude the blackjack.

Good to know. So we're back to the earlier list.

View PostProsperity Park, on 03 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I want a Hero Hunchback with 2 Hunches... but I might have to undergo some kind of "Trial" or something like that to get one...

Stop stirring up trouble! ;)

#13 LonestarrSB

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 03 May 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

I hear ya! Hunchback is my favorite mech! If the next one is a Hunchback I will buy it instantly!

#14 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Is it this Stalker?? http://www.mechspecs....php?112-Misery

#15 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Did you fix the crash to mechlab?

#16 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Aren't we supposed to get the ask the DEVS answers today as well?

#17 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

So seismic Sensor is our rear view mirror? Handy.

but the following sentence;
Players can now customize up to 3 colors on their Hero `Mech colors in Camo Spec! We look forward to seeing some of your new pain schemes on the battlefield.
has a distinct lack of the word founders.

#18 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 03 May 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Aren't we supposed to get the ask the DEVS answers today as well?

Literally four minutes later...

http://mwomercs.com/...evs-37-answers/

Now mention something about me being single.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 03 May 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#19 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

PGI, you makes me laugh again and again. 200m effective radius for some kind of sensor in the era of PPCs and realistic Thermal Vision? Can anybody explain what makes Seismic Sensor better than 360 Target Retention?

UAV idea is nice, though I really doubt that 1min lifetime is good enough, anyway, I don't expect UAVs to survive even that 1 minute.

And still no update on missile damage and SSRM lock? No solution for PPC spam? No tuning for ECM? I'm trying to believe that you'll fix bugs at least.

Edit: I completely missed Paul's update on Weapon balancing. Some interesting changes are coming on May 21st!

Edited by Featherwood, 03 May 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#20 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 03 May 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Now mention something about me being single.

Careful what you wish for, Yoseful has a habit of delivering.

I'm interested in the "...and much more!" part. I'm hoping that's a sign they're at least working on client-side optimizations for lower-spec computers. It was frustrating as hell when the April 2nd patch reduced my FPS to ~10 or less, right after a dev had responded to a thread I made regarding FPS issues on lower-spec machines

So, instead of saying "...and much more!" can we get a full list of changes? I doubt I'm the only one here who would appreciate a full list of even minor or inconsequential changes. Same with patch notes, since after the April 2nd patch I couldn't see anything in the patch notes that would hint at why many others and I took a serious FPS hit.

In the interest of transparency, I implore you!

edit: Besides the issues with the Nvidia 311.xx drivers, the only things I could think of that could potentially affect FPS were their 'notable environment changes':

• Changed HDR eye adpatation numbers to reduce amount of HDR blooming, and speed the recovery rate.
  • Tweaked lighting in all levels to minimize lighting differences due to HDR eyeadaptation changes.
  • Extended LOD distances in River City on many large buildings.
  • Reduced strength of parallax occlusion mapping on some snow terrain textures to help reduce "crawling" terrain textures.

Edited by SPencil, 03 May 2013 - 02:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users