Answered

56 replies to this topic

#21 Thraka

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Come on, this is crap.... Complete and utter crap. Basic profile management is something that should be in from day one of a public release. I just went to change my profile info because I've been on a long two month email migration of all my online accounts and I have like 3 left...

SHIP IT...

#22 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

I want to change my name in my profile for the Launch party (ie my actual name) but can't. Any help anywhere?

#23 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationInside a gold painted D-DC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

PGI can't even get a simple edit profile ability to function right. At the very least, they should have the ability to manually change it through support.(like GW2) But after contacting support; I was told that they can't even do it if they wanted to at this time. So ya, if you lose your Email account; you're probably screwed. And if you want to change it, too bad, you can't. This is the first time I've ever had a game/company tell you that you CAN'T change your Email, in any way. I think that's an all new low for accomplishments. Well done, PGI.

#24 SuperDuperDoubleAgent

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Wow, this is sad. I know that working with databases and account systems can be difficult and very confusing depending on the framework, but you honestly couldn't have someone take a couple days and figure this out?

Next time one of your executives wants a vacation, just tell him to stay home without pay and hire a freelancer to fix this or any of the other problems.

#25 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

I haven't been able to change my email address for nearly a year now...
Good luck guys... ;)

Incidentally if your email address is now invalid... so, is your ability to change passwords...
Good job PGI !!

#26 RedSonja01

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Oh, come on! some ppl need to change their email addresses...

Edited by Dragon Master, 01 September 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#27 SlugShot

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Any news yet about changing Mail ?

#28 Caesar_NZ

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well I've just found myself in the same boat.
I've changed ISPs and as a result will soon lose my old email address.
So I logged into the site to update my profile as I have done on all my other games and forums etc like you can on 90% of other sites and promptly found I could not do this, so I thought, oh well I'll just email them a ticket to get them to do it for me.

But... Imagine my amazement when I got an email saying "Sorry we can't do this yet due to technical limitations"

I'm sorry what?

Technical limitations to not being able to change an EMAIL address? your not serious... ok I can't do it because its a locked down feature, but you’re telling me your technical staff can't do it for me either?

/stunned silence.....

Please fix this PGI... this is the _SIMPLIST_ of requests and something that is generaly needed, as you can see by other players postings in this forum.

I'm literally lost for words here.....

#29 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Game is about to hit its second release, this time dropping beta tag, and they still haven't put this in nor can change it through support. No idea what kind of software would prevent this, why such a limitation would even exist, or why anyone would want to use software that had such a problem. I've never even seen or heard of such an issue before MWO, not on any kind of site/forum/game/etc, and probably never will again. They went through the trouble of licensing CryEngine 3 for this game; one of the best and most expensive engines you can get to run a game... then can't do something simple such as this. I know that changing Emails is a security risk, because it's the first thing any thief would want to do after getting access to your account, but you should still have the option to do it manually through support if nothing else. If the same IP Address that's requesting to change the Email is the one that's been playing on the account for months; it's a safe bet he's the owner that wants to change it. Not a complicated conclusion. Even if it's changed, they could have other ways to prove identity, such as simply knowing the previous IP Address.

Guild Wars 2 for example is very tight on security due to all the gold spammers and gold farming bots which use stolen accounts to do these things; which then cause them to get banned, all without the consent of the actual owner that paid for it. But ArenaNet still has the good sense to manually change the data if you simply prove your identity. I really don't understand why someone cannot edit user account information manually in the database. Other games and sites can do it. In fact, all of them can.

#30 Fotracul

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Your request (#95920) has been deemed solved. To reopen, reply to this email.
Hello Sashulescu,
Due to some technical and auditing limitations, we are not able to make changes to players' email addresses. We do have plans to implement a tool on the website profile page to allow users to make these changes on their own account though I do not have an ETA for that tool becoming available.
Sorry about that limitation.
Regards,
Destined
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

wow my request is solved? i cannot change my e-mail that is a pretty serious technical limitation!
what ********, I AM SO HAPPY I DID NOT SPENT A SINGLE EURO ON THIS GAME!

Edited by Sashulescu, 11 September 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#31 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostSashulescu, on 11 September 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Your request (#95920) has been deemed solved. To reopen, reply to this email.
Hello Sashulescu,
Due to some technical and auditing limitations, we are not able to make changes to players' email addresses. We do have plans to implement a tool on the website profile page to allow users to make these changes on their own account though I do not have an ETA for that tool becoming available.
Regards,
Destined
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

wow my request is solved? i cannot change my e-mail that is a pretty serious technical limitation!
what ********, I AM SO HAPPY I DID NOT SPENT A SINGLE EURO ON THIS GAME!

PGI quality for you !! 5 more days to launch ! Woohoo !!
I wonder how many more corners did they cut.

#32 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

That's the same Email I got some time ago(months) when I tried. I don't blame the copy/paste for answering the same request, that's expected, but I question why they're going to "launch" without the ability to do this. They could, at the very least, put a warning about this "feature" for people that are making their new account. But they plan on dropping their beta tag without putting in things like this first, things that are important and should have been in ages ago already.

Btw, well played with this "recruit" posting BS. It ensures that folks like myself have to play 25 on an alt to post. What amuses me is that you corner cut out on an important feature YOU SHOULD HAVE while instead putting in other {Scrap} you didn't need once so ever.

#33 Caesar_NZ

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:33 AM

Still no word on this?

I had the same problem with my Ubi Uplay account but their support team happily updated my email address for me so now I don't need to worry about loseing that account.

Come on guys... your officially live now.

How about fixed this small issue up?

#34 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostCaezael, on 19 September 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

Still no word on this?
I had the same problem with my Ubi Uplay account but their support team happily updated my email address for me so now I don't need to worry about loseing that account.
Come on guys... your officially live now.
How about fixed this small issue up?

This is definitely a Major Security issue.
Not being able to change email addresses prevents critical notifications. And not being able to change passwords is a recipe for disaster. If an account is compromised, a player could lose hundreds of REAL dollars’ worth of mechs, without any means of recovery, because the email address is no longer valid, additionally nothing can be done to stop it without the ability to change passwords, the account is still wide open.

I am actually amazed that PGI is able to meet any requirements imposed on online marketplaces. Must be a Canadian thing.

#35 Enaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 120 posts
  • LocationAnywhere I can keep a close eye on Liao.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I have a friend who is in this exact situation. Net provider got changed, and needs to change email before it goes *poof.*

This is something that is an absolute necessity to be done. Even if the only way to do it is for someone to manually change it on your side.

#36 Rayne Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVickers Mining Co. Trellshire Province, Lyran Commonwelth. Hollers, Derf

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

I am the friend Enaris speaks of, and yeah, my ISP (formerly Insight Communications) has been acquired by Time Warner Cable, so my email address is changing. I've been slow to get around to handling it as the previous poster in this situation posted in July (right after the switchover began) I've just now started doing so. My ISP has guaranteed we will retain access to our old email accounts "until at least November" (I presume the end of November but it could be sooner) they've said they'll let us know with plenty of time to spare of any changes. I've begun the laborious process of changing all the accounts in all the places associated with my email address (a process I've done once before in my life, and it's twice as hard this time, as I have twice as many online accounts as I had then). Out of the 75+ changes I've made in the last 2 weeks, only 3 I couldn't do myself, 2 of them required my opening a support ticket, proving my ownership of the account. One was changed in less than 24 hours, the other within 2 days. The only failure so far in 75 email addresses, the ONLY one, is MWO.

While there are MANY things "wrong" with the systems and the game itself that never should have made it into beta let alone "release". It's ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSEABLE to put an account system into place where the email address cannot be changed, ideally by the user, but at worst by an email to support and a proof of identity. It was bad enough when I emailed a few months back to get my pilot name changed "we're unable to provide that feature currently but are looking into it we're sorry for the inconvenience" fine, ok, understandable, game is still beta, and that's not exactly a high-priority feature. To my dismay however, I received the same reply last week when emailing to have my registered email address changed, and that's patently ridiculous. I emailed back "Can you provide me with anything more concrete than this? I may lose access to my old account in 2-3 months, and I certainly need it changed by then." I did not even receive a reply. the response about "technical and audit limitations" prevent us from..." that's technical speak for "we either can't afford, or don't want to pay a Database Administrator to go in and edit the field(s) required by hand, and we set up a stupid system where we couldn't change it easier than that." That's unacceptable, and a massive security issue besides.

People lose access to email addresses for various reasons, ISP changes, employer changes, leaving a university, or simple compromised email or harassment issues, to put a game supposedly into "live production" with this glaring of an oversight only proves that the project and the game *might* have been "too big a bite" for PGI to chew, which is something I've suspected in my darker thoughts on days like this. All the other issues with the game aside, this needs to be handled NOW, I've already thrown over $100.00 bucks into the game, NOT counting Project Phoenix preorders. Not even touching the game progress itself, I won't simply register for another account, I'll be hounding support every week until this is fixed.

Thanks for the time, assuming anyone "important" reads this.

#37 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

First off, great quote at the bottom of your post Precocious Rayne! B)

Secondly, I really, really need to change my e-mail. Like many of the others on this thread, my ISP changed, and I have a short grace period before I am locked out of my old account. If a PGI rep reads this, then stress the fact the we NEED the ability to change our e-mails.

Seriously, if we put a man on the moon in the sixties, then why is it so hard to change our e-mail addresses in the year 2013??? :angry:

#38 Caesar_NZ

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

The funny thing about this thread is the "Under Review" tag.
Like it needs to be thought about as wether to be actioned or not.

There's nothing to review here guys, this is just something you do.
Everybody else can do it, so why can't PGI?

#39 reiGngehoWn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 235 posts
  • LocationFacepalm Springs

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostreiGngehoWn, on 18 July 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

:P

This will be done pre-release right?

I still need to change my email! Whatever you need to do to make it possible, DO IT, ASAP!

#40 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ecutioner (MechWarrior® Online™)

Sep 30 07:12 (PDT)

Hello KerrdogJ,

Regards,
Ecutioner
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online

Weeeeeelllll....looks like I received the same response as Sashulescu did...only mine came from a different "GameMaster." They must be using the same Cut-and-Paste word generator. :)

I am not a prolific gamer. I play more because I have friends and family that play, and it is a way to spend time with them when separated. That being said, I have accounts with LOTRO, STO, Planetside2, and Ghost Recon Online. Interestingly enough, all of them allow change of e-mail, even Planetside2 which is still in Beta (I think).

The only ones that won't let me make the change are MWO and MechWarrior Tactics...surprise, surprise...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users