11 replies to this topic

#1 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm almost finished getting the last Raven, but I enjoy looking forward to what other mechs.

You can see the mechs I have currently in my sig, but I'll give a quick overview here if it helps.

Spoiler

So, I'm considering 3 different chassis as my next mech. Let me know what you think. I am not going to buy a hero mech, so don't factor the heroes in. This is for a combination of increased competition participation and just general fun.

Cataphrat - I suck at poptarting, and a 3D would help me learn, and ad another solid chasis to my stable. Not sure what other 'phrats I'd buy (Maybe the 4D and the 2X?), but they seem pretty solid chasis. I could use a good heavy too.

Jager - Bring the Dakka. Might be fun to run a Jagerbomb, or other Dakka builds. Not the best competitive mech, but looks to be fun. And I could use a good heavy.

Highlander - Another assault, but would let me practice pop-tarting, and since I like the Victor, this should be fairly easy to transition too, though it could end up being slower than the Atlas.

Any thoughts? Poll incoming.

Edit: Apparently I can't make a poll :D

Edited by Bront, 28 November 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

I leveled three Phracts on double XP weekend (3D, Ilya and 4X). I keep going back to all three and plan to add at least one more at some point. Thumbs WAY up.

Don't have 'Landers or Jagrs but they're "coming soon" chassis for me. I don't think you have a wrong choice on your list.

As a wild-card, if you like Jenners, Cicadas are a step back (no jets, medium movement archetype, a bit big), but still a lot of fun (not great, just fun), IMO. Especially preferring the Jenner-D as I do, I adore the very similar X-5. The 3M is solid, too, as an ECM mech. I hated the 3C, but either 2X is ok as a third variant.

Edited by Terciel1976, 28 November 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

I should probably clarify I'm looking for something large partially because I have premium time. Cicadas will be fine to grind for if/when my PT expires :D

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostBront, on 28 November 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

I should probably clarify I'm looking for something large partially because I have premium time. Cicadas will be fine to grind for if/when my PT expires :D

Well, that's why I spoke to your listed choices first. Don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. :angry:

#5 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Bront get your highlanders bro!!!!

#6 Goregrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

I have maxed out all of those chassis and I have the most fun in the Jagermechs. I love the Cataphract and it is probably a better mech but the low hanging arms are annoying. If you like the Victor than you will like the Highlander. I will tell you this: out of the 30 mechs I own, one is a Highlander, one is a Cataphract, and four are Jagers. If I could only have one chassis it would be the Jagermech. If you ever decide to buy a hero mech than Firebrand is a blast to play and worth the money, in my opinion.

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think I'm aiming for the Cataphrat 1st, as I really do need a good competition heavy, and then aim for either the Jager or Highlander depending on my Phrat experience. I think I can get away with a build on the 4X that won't need DHS to save some cbills, and I'll just have to figure out if I want to go 1X or 2X

#8 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Shadow Hawk. It's currently the best of all worlds. Fast but big enough to carry a whollup; jumps too. Damn good positioning of the ballistics hard point as well, allows peek-a-boo tactics.

#9 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

Cataphract is Bread and Butter, imo. Can't really go wrong with them, and can adjust to any playstyle except missile boat. (And although it doesn't matter to a lot of people, Phracts have a great cockpit. You can pretend you're in a Helicopter! Yay!... well... good field of view at any rate).

Don't think for a second that Jagers aren't competitive however, of course it depends on the pilot

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 04 December 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Shadow Hawk. It's currently the best of all worlds. Fast but big enough to carry a whollup; jumps too. Damn good positioning of the ballistics hard point as well, allows peek-a-boo tactics.

If you read the OP, you'll notice I have 3 already. :ph34r:

View Postjuxstapo, on 05 December 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Cataphract is Bread and Butter, imo. Can't really go wrong with them, and can adjust to any playstyle except missile boat. (And although it doesn't matter to a lot of people, Phracts have a great cockpit. You can pretend you're in a Helicopter! Yay!... well... good field of view at any rate).

Don't think for a second that Jagers aren't competitive however, of course it depends on the pilot

It depends on the build too, but Jagers on the top teir competitive level are either easy to kill due to XL, or slow (and sometimes both). Doesn't mean you can't run them, but that's my general worry about them. I'll likely get into Jagers eventually anyway.

Edit: I take that back, they're rated a bit better than I expected. I still want to learn to jump-snipe, so the 'Phrat is the mech to do that with.

Thanks again folks :P

Edited by Bront, 05 December 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#11 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostBront, on 05 December 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

If you read the OP, you'll notice I have 3 already. :D

... but, reading is... hard :D

Yeah, get the CTF-3D. The 1X and 4X are lovely as well. <3 me some 'phract.

#12 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

If you can handle arm weapons so low, they hit speed bumps and being an easy, really easy target to hit, a Cataphract is perfect in any meta.

I have Ilya, 1X, 4X, although many regard the 3D as the best, because it jumps, I say Ilya.

For the two disadvantages I mentioned, along with lack of speed in most serious builds, every pilot out there, still always fears or at least respects, the sight of an angry Phract staring down at them!

Edited by Die Primate Die, 07 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users